Username Post: Such a square....        (Topic#1561525)
Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee

I can't seem to get away from using pictures in their original square/rectangle form!!! I don't really have any other tools for cutting photos!! How do I get out of this rut?? I look in the gallery and see awesome ideas, but I just can't seem to change my picture style!! Any suggestions on tools for photo cropping??

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Vallee

I just use my paper trimmer,,,,,,

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to CommaHolly

Do you mean in shapes like circles and stuff?

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to Here Kitty

Yes...sorry!! I didn't re-read what I typed. Like circles and ovals....

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Vallee

do you have a cricut? you could cut circles/ovals, etc out of photos using the center feature.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to Vallee

I like an occasional photo cut in a circle/oval. But do like to overdo that. To me it reminds me a bit of the creative memories old style.

Just remember -- according to Huey Lewis -- "It's hip to be square"

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Vallee

You can use the "poor man's method" to cut a few photos and then if you like it you ccan invest in a cutting system. You might find a couple layouts using circle shaped photos and you are done.

poor man's method
- freehand cut with scissors
- position a cup (plate, any shape) on the photo, trace around it and cut with scissors
- print a few simple circle and oval shapes using your computer. Cut them out and then position over your photo and cut around paper guide.

mgiov
mgiov 
Mayor
mgiov
  • mgiov on 07-18-11 04:36 PM
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Another suggestion: why not leave your photo as is and place a (shaped) frame over it?
I've included a bunch of examples of what I'm talking about.
Or, if you have a Cricut, why not search through your carts and see what you can come up with?

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to mgiov

When I started scrapbooking about 10 years ago cutting your photos seemed to be really instyle and now i'm not fond of that but more than anything I wish I hadn't used origional photos.

But I have seen some really cute lo's done with the ovals.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to Cindyckj

Fiskars shape cutter works real good...

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to debby_westbrook

I have a baby bug and use it alot, but I've never cut photos with it!! I will have to try that!! I have a Fiskers shape cutter somewhere it my stash!!! Great ideas! Thanks ladies!!

And yes I do like the square and "The News"!!!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Vallee

The old Creative Memories style was what sprang to mind when I read your post and I cringe when I look back at my early albums I must admit.

I love the frame idea placed over the top to give the effect of a shaped photo - I wish I'd done that with all mine rather than now having to sort through 1000s of negatives to reprint photos.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to scrappercaz

I only occasionally cut my photos into circles or ovals, but imo, the CM cutting system is still the easiest way to do this if you want to give it a try

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to madmatter

I've never done CM...it always seemed to structured to me! I like loading my pages with lots of embellies and I very rarely ever use stickers.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Vallee

Val I love love my Spellbinders I've used them a lot on my cards I have from the big to the very small they do great cuts!

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to Sneezy1956

I have been wanting several of the spellbinders but as of yet I can't bring myself to pay $24 for a few pieces of metal. I keep telling myself I really don't need them....since when did I start listenting to myself!!! I think I may break down this weekend and buy a set.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Vallee

I never paid full price for mine - always used 40-50% off coupons

Judes
Judes 
Expert
Judes
  • Judes on 07-25-11 10:47 AM
In response to Here Kitty

I use the Coluzzles. You can still find one for sale once in a while.

Why not leave your pictures alone and do circles for backround. Also use parts of circles behind and on photos.

dezignarob
Tenant
dezignarob
In response to Vallee

The center point feature is not part of the baby bug unfortunately, although you could probably cut reasonably accurately using the "select paper size" feature where you align to the far corner of the cutting mat.

I like to use a nice big circle punch because I can frame up the cut and see exactly where the cut will be. Then I cut a mat 1/4 of an inch larger than the punch.

Judes
Judes 
Expert
Judes
  • Judes on 07-26-11 02:41 AM
In response to dezignarob

There is also a 3" punch I use.
Marvy Uchida Clever Lever Giga craft punch circle, 3” diagonal, GCP-40

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics