Username Post: How much do I charge???        (Topic#1561559)
NYScrapMOM
Guru
NYScrapMOM

I did some layouts as a gift for my friend's DD first birthday. They were 4 12x12 layouts and I mounted them on plain chipboard and attached a ribbon at the top to tie so that she could hang them where she pleased. Now this same friend wants to HIRE me to do a 8x8 album of the birthday party. She is still trying to decide what papers she wants...she would be buying the stuff I don't already have...the album, the paper and matching embellishments. That means I would have to charge her for adhesive, printed pictures and my time. Would it be best to charge by the page? By the album? Or by the hour? I know that it would be best if I gave her a price up front. I want to know if any of you have ever been hired to do a Scrapbook album for someone and if so how much did you charge? I really don't have anything to go on. I think I messed up when I said a full 12x12 album would be about $200 including materials...I was thinking 10 layouts for that and not 20. Any input you can give me would be greatly appreciated! TFL!

LateNiteScrapper
Resident
LateNiteScrapper
In response to NYScrapMOM

I have never been paid to do anything, so I am totally just guessing here. If she is purchasing all of the materials, other than what you mentioned, I would say $50 plus the cost of pictures to be printed and adhesives. Again, I may be way off compared to others suggestions.
I just can't imagine someone wanting to pay more than that for an album...especially since she'll have cost into the papers and embellishments already.

ltlemermaid
Idol
ltlemermaid
In response to LateNiteScrapper

I have done albums/projects for pay before. What I usually do is I charge for the material, adhesive, album, printing (if needed), and time. If they provide me with material I only charge for the adhesive and time. I also charge by the hour and usually for a 12x12 page that is medium in difficulty can be finished in about 30 min.

If she wants the pages to be packed with detail, embellishments or liscenced stuff it will cost more in material as well as your creative time.

Determine what kind of pages she wants and see how long it takes you to make them. You shouldn't sell yourself short--especially on your time to create the album. A full 12x12 album that has a ton of details, embellishments will take hours and I have seen others sell them from $300-500 an album. Should be less if using less detail.

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to LateNiteScrapper

I am in a very similar pickle! On Sunday an acquaintance saw a chipboard mini I was working on and asked me to make her a custom mini for her pics of her grandaughter. Trying to keep the costs to a minimum I am thinking about ordering the TC Bebe kit and just putting it all together for the price of the kit plus $50. There is no way I can make money on this but I figure I will be left with enough extra papers etc. that I will be able to make another mini with the leftovers. Let me know what you decide to do - BTW I live in Los Angeles where everything is expensive!!

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to theellenbee

Maybe look on etsy or evilbay to see what things are going for?

bwasek
bwasek 
Expert
bwasek
In response to amandahugandkiss

I have paid $35.00 for a paper bag album (12 pgs.) that was very detailed. I thought that was a great price. For a larger albumn $50-60 no more if she is providing the supplies.

NYScrapMOM
Guru
NYScrapMOM

Thank you all very much. I will take everything that everyone said into consideration and negotiate from there!

dezignarob
Tenant
dezignarob

My rate is $30/page, with a three page minimum, or $55 for a 2 page layout with a 4 page minimum.

A complete 10 page (20 lo) album is $510 (the equivalent of 3 free pages.

Minumum wage is $8/hour in my state. I should think I would spend 2-3 hours per page with all the custom hand made embellishments and cricut cuts.

Ghost writing the journaling is additional and by the hour.

It's not worth it for me to work for any less.

NYScrapMOM
Guru
NYScrapMOM

Thank you to all of you who replied with your experience and wisdom. I very much appreciate it. I haven't sold or been hired to do an album yet but I have given them away as gifts. Maybe someday I'll set up shop at a craft fair and take orders!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics