Username Post: Wide Format Printers??????        (Topic#1561637)
dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat

I am considering a wide format printer for my scrap room. Does anyone have one they love? If so please give me your advice. I have done quite a bit of research but would like to hear from scrappers before I buy one.

eshascreations
Tenant
eshascreations
In response to dabnat

I have the HP 7500A wide format printer. It is the best at what it does. It prints up to 13x19 so if you wanted to do a 12x12 its perfect. The downside to it like most wide-format printers, its takes 4 ink cartridges (black, magenta, cyan & yellow).

My suggestion ---> look up the wide format printers BUT look at the ink cartridges & see how much each one will print out. You're talking about in average up to $50-$70 per month on the ink.

dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat
In response to eshascreations

Thank you for your reply. I have been doing alot of research on these. The print yeild has been a major concern of mine.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to dabnat

I have the Epson 1400. It takes 6 ink carts (black, yellow, magenta, light magenta, cyan, light cyan). I prefer a 6 cartridge or higher printer because I feel the color quality is superior, more tone and shades than just using a 4 cartridge ink system. Also, depending on what you are printing, you don't run out of ink as quickly. My cyan and magenta cartridges last forever because the light cyan and light magenta take care of the lighter shades.

Epson sells the ink for $19 a cartridge, if you sign up for their emails, there are often sales (right now it's 15% off all ink through July 27) and free ground shipping on ink and paper.

It seems like I have to change every ink cartidge every 200-300 prints (depending on the size of the print, the 1400 prints 4x6 to 13x19). I could actually be low balling this, because I've only had the printer for a year, but I have noticed that I go through less ink for the same amount of printing as compared to my other Epson printer.

dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat
In response to moxiegirl23

Thank you so much. I bit the bullet and bought the Epson work force 1100. It only has 4 colors but I really liked the price of $99. The printing looks really good, clean, crisp, and the ink is really water resistant! I have a HP to print/scan my photos so I thought this would be good for my journaling, notes, and to print and cut on my pazzle machine. Yet another great feature of having a "shared" scrap room, we share buyng the tools too!

New Kid On the Block
In response to dabnat

happy
Microsoft Office 2007
Coach Necklace

microsoft office 2010 online

sn315on
Expert
sn315on
In response to dabnat

I'm actually looking for a wide format printer to do 12 x 12 designs right on the paper. Where did you find this printer at that price? I just see it at twice that now. Do you still like it and what don't you like about it?

New Kid On the Block
In response to sn315on

I just found the Epson Workforce 1100 through Epson direct at $109 w/ free shipping. http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consume r/consDetail....

My real concern is the length of time that the print head will last. I had an Epson photo printer a few years ago, and it maybe lasted 6 months before printhead went bad. Epson didn't carry the printhead any longer, so had to throw out whole printer. Nice thing about HP and Lexmark printers is that you get a fresh printhead built in with every ink cartridge replacement. Hopefully Epson caught on to this and is now doing the same.

New Kid On the Block
In response to mistymonet

You might also consider the HP Officejet 7500A Wide Format All-in-one printer. I've heard good things about it as well.

sn315on
Expert
sn315on
In response to mistymonet

I actually ended up buying this one, although I didn't get it through Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-iX6520-Inkjet-P rinter-4895B...

I've had it for about 4 months and I've used it quite a bit already. I haven't had to do anything with the ink, yet.

I have a Mac running Lion and it works perfectly for me.

New Kid On the Block
In response to dabnat

I have the epson work force 1100. I am very disappointed with it for my needs...it prints amazing photos but I get those from snapfish. I NEED a printer that easily prints text on 12x12 will do water marks,print on transparencies and such on 12x12. The print head went out of my old one, I can't remember what it was but I have amazing pages from Italy and NY with like transparencies of old columns and waters of the statue of liberty...I can't get this printer to even put song lyrics as a frame for a 12x12 page plus it has a huge problem pulling through 80lb card stock which is all i use.ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics