Username Post: what paper to use if typing journaling        (Topic#1561701)
hford 
New Kid On the Block
  • hford on 07-23-11 06:51 AM

I am getting my daughter into scrapbooking and I know having your own handwriting is important but I want part of her journaling typed - well printed out with the computer. What kind of paper should we use? I don't think regular copy paper is archival safe? if it is not - how long will it take to break down? will it really be in her lifetime?

thanks for helping!

Helena

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to hford

I don't know about the archival bit, but I've used just regular copy paper alot. Sometimes I will use 4x6 index cards or just regular white cardstock.

Resident
In response to flintridgescrapper

My printer will take cardstock, so I often use colored cardstock to print out my journaling

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Lauralny

I have papers my kids did in school 10 years ago and it is faded and yellow. I never use paper that is not archive safe. I put way too much work into my pages for that.

I buy Wausau Bright White at Office Depot - it comes 250 sheets to a pack and lasts a long time. It is acid free and lignen free and the only white I will use in my scrapbooks. It is heavier than copy paper but not as heavy as cardstock. I love it. Really bright and crisp.

I use a lot of brochures and airline tickets - I generally copy them on this paper (I have a good grade HP color scanner/printer).

If I'm using something on original paper which is not acid/lignen free or if I'm not sure - I scan and copy and print or just copy and print it on the Wausau Bright White.

If I used color paper for my journaling, it is always acid-lignen free. I often just cut a 12 x 12 to 8 1/2 x 11. lately I've had printed more of my journaling on different colors.

I also print on vellum - that has a nice effect!

Whenever I do use original papers in my scrapbooks that won't work to scan or copy, I always spray well with "Make it Acid Free".

I made a scrapbook when I was a teenager and was brokenhearted when we found it last year and everything was ruined. I also did my children's books through teenagers with non-acid free products and now they are to do over - they are in awful shape. I learned my lesson.

My scrapbooks are too important for me not to invest just a little more money to buy products that are safe.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Henri Jean

I just use cardstock in the printer.

Resident
In response to hford

I use cardstock, vellum, and sometimes scrapbook paper if it doesn't have a busy pattern that will obscure the journaling.

Also, when I use the vellum I use a product that one of the sbc.com forum ladies used to recommend. Sorry, I can't remember the name. It's like a felt powder puff that you run over the vellum before printing. It makes the printing really crisp.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to oilbrat

Would love to know what you are using on vellum! Sounds interesting. Is it actually a powder or how does it work? If you can find out what it is, would you please share the info. Sounds like a great tip!

Resident

I took a look at the felt puff and there was a tiny tag on it that read Scraperfect. I took a look at their website and it looks like they are still selling it. It's call a pouch--not a puff.

I think it's a bit pricey. But, I've used mine quite a bit for 3-4 years. So it lasts a long time. I would think if you can figure out what the powder filler is you could probably make a felt puff for a lot less.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to oilbrat

Interesting - will have to find out more about that. I'll research it today.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit

In another life I worked for an estate planning attorney. Our documents had to be prepared on paper that would last for decades. I now use the same paper for typed journaling when scrapping. There are probably other brands out there, but the one I use is Southworth Fine Linen Paper. It is 25% cotton, 24 lb. weight, comes in boxes of 500 sheets, and is both acid and lignin free. You can run it though ink jet or laser printers with no problem. If you ever need really nice stationery for something, you can use the same paper.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Ms. Fit

I use a heavier weight computer paper and then I use distress inks or glimmer mist to alter the color of the paper

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to madmatter

I've stippled the heavier weight white paper - the Wausau I like to get the white glare off for some layouts and left it alone for others.

I've never tried glimmer mist - want to try that in a class first becasue I don't know how to use them properly and I'm sure I'd made an huge mess.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics