Page 1 of 139 
Username Post: Bitten By the Travel Bug - CLOSED        (Topic#1561931)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Do you cruise so often that it’s getting hard to book a cruise without at least one port on the itinerary that you’ve already visited? Do you fly so often that you know the airline baggage and carry-on maximum weights by heart? Do you keep a suitcase partially packed so you can be ready for another vacation in minutes? Do you have a favorite restaurant in Barcelona, Paris, or Buenos Aires? Do you have a favorite hotel in Sydney?

Do you know the way to San Jose from wherever you live without using a road map? Do you give your GPS a serious work out? Do the words “Road Trip” get you excited? Do you love taking pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Statue of Liberty or lighthouses all around the United States?

Most important, do most of your scrapbook pages feature exotic or scenic places you have traveled? Do beaches, mountains and waterfalls seem to end up in a lot of your layouts?

If you answered “yes” to most of the questions above, this critique group may be perfect for you! Whether you travel nationally or internationally; by car, motor home, cruise ship, or plane. It doesn’t matter. As long as you are all about travel and are willing to share your travel layouts - this critique group might be a great match for you!

This critique group is for those who have smitten and bitten by the Travel Bug!

Guidelines
• Limited to people who have been smitten and bitten by the travel bug.

• Must be willing to share travel layouts.

• Must enjoy talking about travel and recommending (or warning about) restaurants, attractions, hotels and sharing travel stories.

• Must be willing to offer support and love to other members in their gallery postings.

• Must want to be an active participant in this new critique group.

1. Henri (henri-jean)
2. Terri (Pink Spoonbill)
3. Sherri (Sherrenae)
4. Andrea (Aquabunny)
5. Eileen (ncyankee)
6. Angela (ArsScrap)
7. Bev (Scrapperbee)
8. Monique (rubymillerand)
9. Els (Elsje2)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

Okay - I'm setting up house in our new home here and am getting it ready for everyone.

I thought it might be fun to get to know each other by posting a few travel layouts. In fact I hope we do that a LOT here! That will get conversations going.

Currently in the main gallery I'm posting the trip we took earlier this year. I've already posted the trip going across the US with Graceland and lots of touristy stuff (which I love). Then I got very sidetracked posting layouts of Hollywood stars whose handprints I saw at Grauman's Chinese Theater or thier stars were on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I went way overboard on that one. the pages didn't please me with just a bunch of handprints and stars - I wanted to know a little bit about the people behind them.

After about 3 weeks on the road we hopped over (yes, literally hopped, that is what military flights are called and my husband is retired military) - anyway we hopped to Hawaii for a month. That is what I'm posting on the gallery now so I will pick up there.

I think it might be fun if we each picked out 4 or 5 of our favorite travel layouts and posted them too. Doesn't matter how long ago - just favorite places. That will get conversation going and we can get a feel for each other's style.

I think a few may not have started scrapping their travel layouts yet, but they love to travel. Tell us about your trips and maybe we can give you some sample layouts or ideas to scrap them if any of us have been to those places!

I am uploading 2 or 3 to my gallery this morning and will post them here. Then I will search back pages on my gallery and post a few layouts from favorite trips of the past. That will proably be the easiest way for you to get to know me. I hope you will all do the same!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Karen - your cruise sounds awesome! I love New Orleans too. We were there last year and I wanted to see Marie Laveau's crypt. Very strange - in the oldest standing cemetery in New Orleans - run down, broken crypts, exposed corners of coffins on some crypts. Marie's tomb or crypt has red "X"s all over it and all kinds of voodoo stuff that people have left.

Okay, not everyone knows who she is, - I remember a country song called, "Another man done gone" and it was about the most famous voodoo queen in Louisiana - Marie Laveau. Very real person. Curiosity got the best of me so I went to that old cemetery. Fascinating!

Also, we stumbled across the film crew shooting the crashed airplane scenes of the Green Lantern movie and I got "sneak" photos before they told us "no photos" as they were putting out the flames on the plane that was supposed to have crashed and of pictures of them bringing the new plane onto the set (they shoot out of sequence so they shot the crashed plane seqment early).

Love Grand Caymen - my husband taught me how to snorkel there. In fact it was in Grand Caymen where he picked up a small conch-like shell and gave it to me while we were snorkeling. I put it in my bathing suit for safe keeping while we were snorkeling. Then we laid on the beach for a while on our towels, snorkeled some more, then took a tender back to the ship. I took my bathing suit off, placed myshell on the bed and took a shower.

When I got out of the shower - the shell was walking across the foot of the bed! I had brought back a hermit crab!

Cozumel will be a great place to celebrate your 50h! Awesome. We did a lot of snorkeling there too.

Terri will pop in here when she can - she does a lot of snorkeling! Much more than I do! I'm strictly amateur!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Karen - forgot to ask where you went in Italy! Awesome place. Never been to France but it is on my bucket list!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Hi Aquabunny - welcome to our new travel home!

I saw your notes on the board that you had been to Hawaii! I hope you will post all those pages here. I love Hawaii pages. That is like our second home. I think we are going back after our fall cruise.

Never been to Chicago and only passed through DC once when we were teenagers. Just a short trip and saw very little so I'm anxious to really go back and see it!

You can find good fares to Hawaii sometimes if you keep shopping. Where would be be flying from?

England/Scotland/Wales - that is definitely a dream vacation. Never been to any of those places!

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui

Thanks for setting this up. I love traveling, and when I'm not traveling I love to hear about other people's adventures. I can't wait to board my Air New Zealand flight on Sunday.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-28-11 10:35 AM

Hey Everyone,

Hello I"m Terri and I am travel junkie. Henri thanks so much for organizing this and I'm looking forward to seeing and talking to other "bugs."

Where is everyone's next trip? Mine is the SB Expo in Sacramento in October. Then in April, Panama Canal!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Ok back from errands/lunch.

So my Eurpean vacation 2000 was the right out of college, let's backpack through Europe with bff, taking Eurorail and staying at hostels. LOVED it, wish I would have bought less souvenirs and just stayed for the whole summer. Our tour included Madrid, Barcelona, London, Paris, Amsterdam, Germany for a week (will explain our stay there in a minute), Vienna, Florence, Venice and Rome. This trip was my first scrapbook and I think one of my future goals will be to redo it, but when I get home, I will take some pics of it anyway to share here.

Germany - stayed there the longest to visit my foreign exchange student sister. She stayed with my family when I was in high school so we visited her and her family for a week. We were in the Meiningen/Thuringia area. They took us to Dresden and Munich and on a Fathers Day hike through "No man's land" the border that divided East and West Germany and went into a neighboring village where we had our first stein of beer. Best part of the trip! While I loved the tourist attractions, it was great taking part of the local cultures and traditions.

Germany 2002 - Went with my parents and uncle and some of his friends and stayed in the Bavarian Alps area in Oberammergau and Illigen, toured King Ludwig's castles Neuschwanstein and Linderhof and then went to Oktoberfest in Munich for 3 days. Then spent a week with my German sister and her family and drove along the Mosel and The Rhine rivers, stayed in Alken and drank a lot of wine.

I did not know it, but my DS was along on this trip, thank God it was early in pregnancy and my cousin in the medical field reassured me that he would not yet take part in consuming everything I did on that trip. Although German beer is more pure than American beer

Jamaican honeymoon 2006 - Stayed in Negril at the Blue Cave Castle (they have a website). Purposely stayed at a non all inclusive resort because we wanted to check out the locals. Want to go back.

Germany wedding 2009, yes my German sister. Only stayed Wed - Mon but it was awesome being part of that day. I still have to scrap that trip so maybe I should work on that soon.

In my gallery, there are a few travel LO but they are from my younger brother's trip last summer and I made a book for him. I'll post a few here though of the places I went that were the same (his are scrapped so much nicer than my trip)

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui
In response to AK Teddy Bear

Terri, I used to live a few short hours from Sacramento. If I still lived in Northern Cali, I would have met you there.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pugs223

I would love to go to Hawaii, that was the other place we considered for our honeymoon but were only taking a week long one and I heard it's best to stay at least two weeks.

My younger brother is trying to get the whole family to take an Alaskan cruise in 3-4 years. That again was another honeymoon consideration but my DH wanted to go somewhere warm.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pugs223

Rothenburg (l) By Pugs223
Rothenburg (r) By Pugs223

Rothenburg ob der Tauber - beautiful medieval town with wall going around the parameter. I love German architecture.

Resident

I have several walking tours in New Orleans that I'm looking at. I plan to do at least 2. I love aritecture (discovered this while in France), so I think the garden district should be really great.

I was in Italy in 1/02. It was a short bus tour and I saw Rome, Florance and Venice (sort of) with stops in a few smaller towns.

France was 3/03. Again it was a bus tour and I spent time in Paris, Nice and quite a few other town.

As an introductions to the others. My name is Karen and I live in Seattle, WA. I love to travel and have a rather long short list of places I want to visit. Most of them are outside the US, although I resently started adding US destinations also.

I'm single and live on my own. So no kids.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-28-11 11:07 AM
In response to pugs223

Peg...Come on up to Alaska. We love to show off our state and it is beautiful. Oh your new LOs are beautiful.

Kelly...Too bad. I would love to meet you too. Northern California is a place I go at least twice a year. Our travel buddies live in Valley Spring. What a small world.

I have to go check out everyone's gallery. Dangerous because I find more places I want to visit.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to AK Teddy Bear

Hello ladies,

I'm Andrea. I'm 29 (30 next month), married, no kids, living in Indiana. I scrapbook my everyday life, my travels, recipes, and, until recently, my pet rabbit.

Travel albums I've completed:
- Scotland/England/Wales, May 2001 - one of my oldest scrapbooks, photos and patterned paper and memorabilia glued into a wire-bound 9" x 12" sketchbook
- Washington DC, June 2002 - with bonus side trip to Baltimore and automotive breakdown in Pennsylvania! a 12" x 12" post-bound Pioneer album without page protectors
- Honeymoon album - a week in a wooded cabin in northern Michigan
- Chicago 1995 - a mini-album I made just in the last year or two to do something with pictures and souvenirs still leftover from a trip my family took to Chicago when I was a teenager
- Anime Central - quite a long album chronicling the four different trips my then-boyfriend (now husband) and I made to Chicago annually from 2003-2006 to attend an anime convention
- Hawaii 2010 - kind of my pride and joy among my albums right now. A week in Honolulu in February 2010, it was that one week where there was snow in every single state. It was neat to see green things.

Future trips:
- Chicago - was going to be this summer, now will probably be in 2012, with plans to see the Cubs and Wrigley and go to a taping of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, with probably excursions to the aquarium and the Museum of Science and Industry
- Washington DC - spring or summer 2012 - primary purpose is going to an exhibition on the Art of Video Games, but we expect to do some of the usual stuff too
- Scotland/England/Wales - I totally want to go back. I don't know when this will be.
- Hawaii? - This will be a while, but I LOVED it and want to go back, get sandwiches from the guy at the swap meet, climb Diamond Head again, find a place to buy a ribbon lei! Henri - we would be flying out of either Indianapolis or Detroit Metro - our last one was Indy to Charlotte to Honolulu, with Honolulu to Phoenix to Indy on the way back. Much preferred having that flight broken up by a stop on the west coast than the east coast.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to aquabunny

As an additional note, I have some travel papers by Paper House that I don't expect to use - they were from a big pack of multiple papers. If anyone is in need of paper for Alaska, San Francisco, Paris, or Las Vegas (or any other gambling excursion, that paper's not very specific), I would be happy to send those along to a willing taker.

I have added the specific sheets I have to the list below. If I find I have other locations in my stack of stuff to pass along, I will add them later - at work right now.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Karen_in_WA

Oh yeah, forgot to introduce myself. My name is Peg (short for Peggy, not Margaret) I live in smalltown WI, married, have two children, beautiful 17 yo DD who I gained through marriage (I could say step-daughter, but I really don't like the word step for that), and an 8 yo DS.

My main scrapping topics are those two with a few other projects thrown in like the book I did for my brother's trip, a book for my parents for the Germany 2002 trip, a honeymoon book and I want to do a book for my parents 40th wedding anniversary that was just a couple of weeks ago but my scanner broke and need to get pics from my brothers yet.

I work as a Recruiter in a small staffing co and am currently looking for a new career opportunity, burnt out on the staffing industry, been here over ten years.

What else do you want to know?

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pugs223

Henri - love the hermit crab story, would have been funnier if you were laying on the beach and started doing the "I have a crab in my swimsuit" dance. I love your stories and all of the journaling you do.

Karen - I loved Rome because it's so old, and to see the structures still standing after thousands of years - amazing. Had fun in Venice too.

Andrea - your trips sound great and you have all of the albums done.

Terri - your state is beautiful from what I've seen in pics and on tv. My dad was stationed there in the Army back in the late 60's and I remember seeing pictures of the night time when the sun is still shining and day time when there is no sun.

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to pugs223

Hi everyone. My name is Sherri. I am single with no kids unless you count my two dogs.

I have done travel albums of a 2002 trip to Italy -went all over the place and had the time of my life, a 2004 trip to Oregon - what a wonderful state, a 2005 trip to Portugal, and a 2006 trip to NYC and a quick 2006 trip to Mexico.

I have a 2003 trip to Chicago, Canada, Niagra Falls under construction and untouched in over a year.

My style has changed so much since these I want to go back and do them over. For Italy I just need new pics all together as it was before I had a digi so I think a return trip is in order. LOL

I have also taken trips to Boston, London, and a road trip through Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota all that need to be completed. I have done some pages on these but I only do them here and there.

Here are a few
London
I do it my way - Swirlydoos By Sherrenae

London Guards By Sherrenae

Yellowstone
Natural Wonder By Sherrenae
And a little bit of everywhere
Wander By Sherrenae

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
Rothenburg (l) By Pugs223
Rothenburg (r) By Pugs223

Rothenburg ob der Tauber - beautiful medieval town with wall going around the parameter. I love German architecture.

Peg,
I was in Germany with my parents and brother in 1986 and we went to Rothenburg. Even though I was still jet lagged and wearing the same clothes for 3 days due to lost luggage I loved it. I particularly remember a Crime Museum that we went through. My mom was also chased out of the bathroom by an angry German woman - LOL.

I have/had a puzzle of the building in the upper left of your top layout too.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sherrenae

Peg - when we went to Germany it was an odd trip. My son called last Febraury and said he and his fiance were going to Germany for 10 days. She was born on the military base in Landstuhl and had never been back. He went on and on and said, "Mom, I've never been out of the country." "Mom, I'm ver concerned because I don't speak German." And two or three more of these sentences that started with "Mom... " I asked him. "Sweetheart, do you want Bill (my husband) and me to go with you." He just said, "Would you?"

So I asked Bill and he said that we were not going all the way to Germany for 10 days, but we would make it part of a vacation. That night he got on line and booked a flight to Puerto Rico and scheduled a 4 day visit for us, and then on board the cruise ship for a trip to three of the Canary Islands, then Cadiz Spain. Then from Cadiz Spain, the cruises ended in Barcelona.

We spent 4 fabulous days in Barcelona and then flew on a tiny airline "Ryan Air" to Germany. Didn't know then that it is very low on the totem pole - a joke among other airlines.

THey actually walk down the isle selling cigarettes and lottery tickets.

But we got to Frankfurt and saw Heidelberg, Munich, lots of time around Garmish and Mittenwald near the Austrian Alps - Nueunschwanstein (couldn't leave German without seeing that).

Then a kind of funny thing happened.

We went back to Frankfurt and my son and his fiance flew back to Atlanta. We drove to Ramstein and took a military hop to Dover Delaware. I told Bill I have to spend a day and a couple nights to see my friend, Raquel, who is on the boards here. Lots of people call her Rocky and I adore her!

We had a great day shopping and we went out to dinner with her and her husband. Then it got wierd.

We flew from Dover to Langley Virginia on a hop. That would get us to Norfolk (easy to get a ride from Langley to Norfolk) and on a flight to be home by dark.

However, plans changed. Bill asked the pilot, "Where is this plane going next?" The pilot told him, "This one is going to Hawaii in the morning."

Bill told him, "So are we!"

The pilot told him, "be on the airfield at 7:00AM - terminal won't be open so have everything with you and I'll get you on."

Well, we got there and as it turned out, they were escorting 4 new fighter planes to Hawaii and on to Guam, where the new fighteres were going to be stationed. The C-17 we wanted to get on was packed with the crews and mechanics and maintencance people, all their gear - everything. Someone told us, "You aren't getting on this plane, it's packed to capacity."

The pilot stepped up and said, "I told them I would have seats for them and I putting them in."

He told us to follow him - our seats were in the cockpit! We flew 10 hours from Langley, VA to Hickam Air Force base (next to Honolulu) in the cockpit of a big C-17 cargo plane. AWESOME!!!!

Funny thing was one when I called my son in the morning and say, "John, remember when I told you I would be home in Florida last night? Well it didn't exactly happen. We got as far as Langley Virginia and took a detour."

He said, "Mom, where are you?" I told him, "We kind of went out of our way a bit between Virginia and Florida and we are in Hawaii!"

He just said, "Mom, nothing surpises me. You could call me from the center of the earth and I wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

So we spent 3 weeks in Hawaii. As long as we were there we decided to stay a bit.

Anyway, that is my Germany trip.

Ah - you mentioned the German beer. Bill and I are not beer drinkers but my son is. (He's 36.)

We stopped at a cafe along the Rhine River and ate outside. Charming!

M son ordered German beer, not realizing that it is stronger than he is used to at home.

Then they brought his salad he said, "Mom, this is the best salad I've ever had."

I said, "It is lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers."

But its so fresh it is the best I've ever had.

"John, you do not like salads, you will not touch them at home."

"But this mom... this is happiness in a bowl"

No, dear, it is lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers.

"It is so sad to think that I will never again in my life have a salad this good again.

Yes John, they sell lettuce tomatoes and cucumbers in Georgia and I bet Danielle can mix them up and put them in a bowl for you.

Ever since then we have teased my son about "Happiness in a bowl."

Page 1 of 139 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics