Page 4 of 175 
Username Post: Bitten By the Travel Bug OPEN!        (Topic#1561931)
scrappinmylife
Expert
scrappinmylife
In response to Henri Jean

Hi everyone!
I just would like to add that my name is Shannon, and I love doing layouts about what I've seen and done on my travels. I am currently working on my last trip to India. It was really nice. I am planning to travel to South America in December,and I can't wait!

scrappinmylife
Expert
scrappinmylife
In response to pugs223

I can't wait to hear about everyone's travels. I am planning to go to Brazil and Argentina.

Edited by scrappinmylife on 07-29-11 08:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to scrappinmylife

Hi Shannon - I was just checking to see if you made it here yet! Where were you in India. That was a really fascinating company. You mentioned that it was your last trip to India. Are you from India? We were in Mumbai, Goa and Cochin at the end of 2009.

Where in South America are you going? Are you on a cruise or are you flying? We went in January and it was stifling hot in most places around South America but Ushuia and going around Cape Horn and were very cold and required jackets.

That was truly a trip of a lifetime though! I fell in love with Buenos Aires. And I loved Lima, Peru.

scrappinmylife
Expert
scrappinmylife

No, I'm from Alabama. (lol) I tagged along with my boyfriend for work. He was doing some training over there. We spent three weeks in India. We traveled to the Kerala region, the golden triangle, and lastly the technology region of Hyderbad. I didn't get to Goa this time, but maybe next time. It was so nice being with him inn a foreign country. Oh yeah, and we had a two day layover in Belgium.

scrappinmylife
Expert
scrappinmylife
In response to scrappinmylife

Cochi By Scrappinmylife
[url=http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/267415/view /3266985/-1.html][img]
http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/public/326698 5_8_26741... The Taj By Scrappinmylife
I love India By Scrappinmylife

Edited by scrappinmylife on 07-29-11 08:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Brazil - gorgeous. Seeing Rio de Janiero? We saw the the beaches - Impanema (As in the old song "Girl from Impanema) and I'm spelling it wrong. Also, Copa Cabana beach and Christ Church statue and we rode the sky life thing up to Sugar Loaf.

In Buenos Aires, please do not miss La Recoleta Cemetery. It is a main tourist destination so any tour will take you there but they don't give you enough time. In my opinion, the most beautiful cemetery in the world. It is so amazing. It's like a small city of mauseleums and the are shaped like minitature churches. In many you can look in little side windows and see a little chapel or a casket. Most have statues that are just breathtaking and many even have stained glass.

Eva Perone is there (Evita) but her mauseleum was not that special - some are absolutely spectacular.

One man was there who was there the year before but lost his camera with his pictures of this cememtery so he came back to Buenos Aires just to get pictures of La Recoleta cemetery.

We also enjoyed the Galerias Pacifico Shopping Mall. It was built in 1889 and modeled after the le Bon Marche' in Paris. In 1896 it was an art museum. That may be why the huge arged ceiling (cupolas) are canvases with beautiful old scenes all over them. Some of the frecos were added more recently though.

It has a food court which is in the basement - and is one of the nicest food courts I've ever been in. They food court served steaks and nice selections. Not at all what we have in our food courts in the US)

As an interesting footnote, and this is hard to believe in this beautiful place, in 1987 a flim crew was shooting in the basement of the Galerias Pacifico when they stumbled on an abandoned torture center. It turned out that during the dictatorship, the First Army Corp hid some people in the bowels of the mall. The dungeon walls still bore the desperate markeings made by its long dead prisoners; names, dates and pleas for help.

However, it was every inch gorgeous when we were there.

As I said, I do a lot of research and that is out of my scrapbook but very condensed here.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Where in Alabama? I was born in Prichard outside Mobile. My family is in the Northwest corner of Alabama 26 miles from the Mississippi line.

Those fishing nets were amazing (in your first layout). They set them up and the fish just swim into them. I have pictures of one that looks like the same one you photographed. We walked out on the platform (very rickety and places rotted through) and they let us raise and lower the nets. Quite an experience, but boy, were the ropes slimy!

karenlane
New Kid On the Block
karenlane

I'm using my Son's address in Henderson, NV as a home base. It's where I'll end up.

Went to Mexico for a month. Traveled from LV,NV to Florida. Went through 18 states on that trip. Spending time on the beach in central CA right now. Headed to LV then Oregon and Utah next week. Back to LV, then CA, then LV and ending the last three months in Mexico. with a side Cruise to the Eastern Carribean.

Just started the Yellowstone book, almost done actually and will get them posted either today or tomorrow.

Kamananui
Idol
Kamananui
In response to karenlane

Wow, four pages already! I love hearing about everyone's travels.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to karenlane

I know Henderson, NV very well; we are out there every spring for a license plate convention. One of the collectors, Richard, who lives in Henderson lets my husband store about 10,000 license plates in his garage.

Sounds like you are having a great trip!

We were in Cancun in January for 2 weeks and we have been to several Mexican ports on cruise ships.

When in Mexico are you going? And I want to know about your Eastern Caribbean cruise! We did an Eastern Caribbean in 2007 and it was awesome! What ports?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Hi Kelly - I'm loving it too. Only problem is I'm learning about a lot of new places I want to go!!!

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee

• Henri Jean Said:
We do walking around on our own, double deckers, cabs, buses, trains, car rentals 99% of the time.

There are times when you don't have a choice. We are going to have to get Russian and Chinese visas for this trip. The cruise ship will get Viet Nam, Indonesia, Jakarta, Singapore, and our travel agent will get Australian for us because our Australian visas expire the month before we go. We may need Korean too - if so our travel agent or the cruise ship will get them.

If we go on the ship's tours in Russia we do not need a visa so we may do that, just not sure what we want to see. There are several options. That is one case where it might be better just to go on the ship tours rather than mess with the visa. We are trying to decide if the things we really want to see are on the ship's excursions or if we want to get our visas and see things on our own.

When we were in Egypt (Safaga) you couldn't get out of the tiny port parking lot around the ship without a ship or private group excursion lined up. They lined all the buses up (19 of them), private and ships buses together and put armed gaurds in front of the caravan and more in back of the caravan of buses and more along side all the way to the Valley of the Kings to see King Tut's tomb. All around the port parking where you got off the ship were Egyptian armed guards who wouldn't let you walk out of the immeditate docking area.

We didn't have a ships tour lined up but when Bill saw we weren't going anywhere, he went to one of the buses and bought the ticket directly from the bus driver who wasn't supposed to sell it to us but he did under the table. We were so glad, we would have been heartsick if we had been stuck in port.

Back to Russia - any suggestions Eileen? We need to decide whether to get visas and venture out on our own or go with ships excursion package.

Some of the Gaudi architecture is amazing! Got some pictures too of really interestng buildings he designed, but the Segrada is truly amazing. I researched the history and symbolism behind it and did a layout on the church with a page of research. I like to add research on my layouts for things like that - it tells what the spires represent and how Gaudi got th project. Truly amazing to think of how long that has been in constant construction and how much long it will be until it is finished!

We did not do a ships tour -- but we hired a private tour guide in St. Petersburg. I loved him. Eugene & I are still facebook friends!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ncyankee

I think that is what we need to do - then we can see the places we want to see. Any suggestions for good places in Petropavlovsk or Vladivostok?

Guess we better start getting th Russian Visas in order.

Resident

The first time I saw the statue street performs were in one of the squares in Rome 9 years ago. He totally got me lol.

Last weekend when I was down in Pike Street Market in Seattle I saw one there also.

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05

Wow I disappear for a bit and you have 4 pages for me to catch up on!

Everyone sounds like they have some amazing trips planned! I've now added Spain and Germany to my list of places to see.

Let's see someone asked if I could go anywhere, where'd I'd go. On that list I have Australia, Carribean (Cuba, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Bahamas, or Aruba), and some more of Europe. I'd also love to do an Alaskan cruise.

Resident
In response to Mulan05

Were would you like to travel that you haven't yet, or really would like to go back to?

My short list is

Any place in Spain
Any place in Greece
definetly some of the Greek islands
Alaska (kind of planning a cruise in 2013)
Want to go back to Italy, partically Rome
Wales

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05
In response to Karen_in_WA

Karen - Wales is amazing. I saw a very small part of it when I was there in May, and I would love to go back again. The Welsh countryside is just beautiful. I've also never seen so many sheep in my life as I saw there!

karenlane
New Kid On the Block
karenlane

Just learned where Ocala is. I loved Florida. I stayed 3 weeks in Winter Haven. Traveled to Key West, West Hollywood, Orlando, Tampa, Bahamas, etc from there.

Will be in Queretero, QT Mexico. It's about 135 miles north west of Mexico City. It was the Capital during the Spaniard era. Lot's of great history. Close to San Miguel de Allende, Dolores Hildalgo (Hildago liberated Mexico from the Spaniards). I have family there and we visit each other yearly.

We will be porting in St Kitts, St. Lucia, and St. Maarten. I've been to St. Lucia before not the others. Did you stop at any of these?

karenlane
New Kid On the Block
karenlane
In response to karenlane

Karen

Loved the Greek Isles and would definitely go back. My favorite island was Rhodes. Took a Meditteranean Cruise, which I think is a great way to see the islands.

Alaska is cool too, went in July when there is always sunshine. Cruising a great way to go there too, also drove the Alkan highway, which is beautiful

Resident
In response to karenlane

I agree with a cruise of the Greek Islands. Hopefully in about 5 years. I know that sounds like a long time off, but for some reason I have to keep working so I can actually pay for these plans, LOL.

Page 4 of 175 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics