Username Post: Bitten By the Travel Bug - CLOSED        (Topic#1561931)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Karen_in_WA

I loved the tut exhibit and my husband didn't expect to be that interested but he really enjoyed it. We had been in his tomb in Egypt 3 years ago and that added a lot to us.

If you are interested in Egypt history and culture, its fascinating. If not, it wouldn't be worth the money.

I just got chill bumps when I saw the famous mask! I had seen pictures of it all over Egypt but it wasn't there when we were - it was on tour.

I am not usually a big museum person unless it is something that interests me. Rarely do we go to museums. I like zoos and aquariums, but seldom museums and my husband is the same way.

We were familiar with the names of many of the pharoahs and Kings from when we were in Egypt so this kind of cliqued for us.

Had I not been to Egypt this wouldn't have meant nearly as much to me - in fact we wouldn't have gone through it.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to Henri Jean

hi ladies -- in Maryland. Heading to Annapolis tomorrow to tour the Naval Academy. Brian so wants to get in there -- the application process is so daunting. then we are heading to Johns Hopkins on Saturday. To think I'll be doing this again in one year -- jeez I should've spread my boys out further.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ncyankee

How funny. My boys are 23 months apart but the big advantage is that once I was through with playpens, diapers, and high chairs, I was really done with those things.

How wonderful to have a high goal like Annapolis. I know you are beaming iwth pride. I hope Brian gets in there! And his brother too!

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee

Well Annapolis was fabulous -- but sooooo hot today. Heat index well above 100. Those poor plebes looked miserable. Not the best time for a prospective student to me there. LOL. Brian is digesting it all now -- it's a bit overwhelming. The admissions process is daunting. He's got the grades and the course load. He is a varsity swimmer. Not a whole lot of extra curricular -- but with his swimming schedule & course load there really isn't much time.

Gonna have him start the congressional phone calls next week -- we'll see. But we are going to look at multiple options.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ncyankee

Best of luck to him! He has to be an excellent student to have the grades for Annapolis! I think we have a proud mama in our midst - and I would be too.

I hate heat like that! Just miserable. We are STILL in Seattle/Tacoma and the weather is very pleasant!

Resident

Are you flying out of Seattle today, or if you are still here on Saturday do you want to try and get together?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Karen_in_WA

I would have loved that Karen but this morning we left the Seattle area. We are in Wallace, Idaho tonight.

There were no flights out on the near horizon to Hawaii and we knew we had to get to South Dakota on this trip so we decided to go on and do that part of the trip and then try to get to Hawaii. We may drive from South Dakota to SFO (Travis) and its easy to get a hop to Hawaii from there - or always has been. Of course we thought it would be easy from Seattle or Tacoma too. Never had a problem with the military hops before.

Tomorrow night we hope to be a Yellowstone Park and then to pick up license plates for Bill in South Dakota. Will also see Mt. Rushmore.

Bill weighed the van so he knows how much he can add to the weight of the van and we will have it full of plates. It holds 2 tons and it will be bursting at the seams on weight. He is buying as many as we can carry and still get our suitcases in the van.

We will meet next time! I am going to work towards making that happen!

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

Eileen - Best wishes for the college plans, keep us posted!!! Wow, that is awful heat... We really complain here when it gets in the 80's (but then again we don't have air conditioning either).

Henri - Remind me again what bill does with all the license plates? He is pretty serious if he has weighed the van... Let me know if you go cruising through Colorado on your way back, would love to meet up.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ars.scrap

I would love to meet up too! Right now we are in South Dakota - saw Mt. Rushmore this morning and went through Sitting Bull Crystal Caves or Caverns. Very pretty. COuld have done without 180 steps down and 180 steps back up - some of them steep like a ladder.

He bought 5,000 license plates today.

He sells them worldwide. We have a customer in Japan who comes to Florida and buys about $30,000 worth at a time and comes about once a year to purchase. We dropped off 8,000 in Las Vegas a few weeks ago.

They are in gifts shops in Key West, Utah, all over Oahu from North Shore to Dukes Lane. He just sells them everywhere, mostly to gift shops and they sell them as souvenirs. He just got the Hemmingway House in Key West - they are in their gift shop now. Also another new account is Dole Pineapple Plantation. Bill now supplies one of their kiosks and they keep reordering. So does the Hemmingway House.

We have about 4 or 5 customers who need deliveries in Hawaii becuase they are out - we need to deal with those.

Someone else buys thousands at a time and supplies a company that makes them into purses and other items. When you see the purses made out of license plates those are almost always Bill's license plates.

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

Henri - Very cool!!! I have seen those and always thought they were so cool looking. There are tons of gift shops around Breck and in Vail so if you make the trip across I70, let me know.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ars.scrap

My husband has a rental house in Colorado Springs and we talk about making a trip there to see it. It is not mine thought - he and his ex-wife bought it together and even though it belongs to him, he paid it off after they divorced and he takes care of renting it and the rental money is all his - her name is on the deed with him. The agreement is that Bill will keep it and collect rent on it but if anything happens to him then it is legally hers and she is giving it to their daughter.

Tonight we are in Omaha, NE - there is a flight out of Dallas on Saturday to San Diego and then one to Hawaii on Monday morning so right now that is the plan.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee

Kevin & I are going round and round about our next vacay. He has a week in Oct and one in Dec. He has no concept of how hard it is to coordinate the kids. I've said I'll go one week on a cruise. But we can't agree on any trip. We found a great cruise to the Galapagos --- oops it's Dec 2013.

Oh well -- we'll figure out something.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-06-12 02:29 PM
In response to ncyankee

Happy Birthday Eileen!!!! Any plans for a celebration?

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to AK Teddy Bear

Terry -- I'm doing the ROFLMAO.

I have one taking SAT prep & one doing driver's ed. Dropped them off and then had to drive home to do another meet & greet with Cooper's possible adopters.

I put 320 miles on car today. UGH. Had Kevin pick up Outback and bring it home. And now enjoying a nice glass of vino.

Going out with friends on Wednesday. Then Brendan's bday is Thursday. Kevin is going to Montana on Thursday to do some house hunting. I'm letting him do recon -- I'll go out at another time.

DOO of some random cruise pics.

Allure By Ncyankee

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-07-12 01:13 PM
In response to ncyankee

Just popping in:

Catedral - Cartagena, Colombia By AK Teddy Bear

Snorkle - Cozumel, Mexico By AK Teddy Bear

Hope everyone is well.

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap
In response to AK Teddy Bear

Great layouts ladies - I am so jealous... I have been making progress on getting my new scrapping room all set up - I will post some in progress pictures soon - Can't wait to get everything out of boxes!!!!

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to ars.scrap

I could've traveled across teh country with the amount of driving I've done in 2 weeks -- I'm so tired. My house is a mess. My dogs have been neglected. It's been nuts.

But Brian is feeling like the SAT prep is really going to help. And Brendan is ready to get his permit on Monday. (oh my!)

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap
In response to ncyankee

Hi everyone - Just checking in to see how everyone is doing as we wind up the summer (Can't believe that)...

Our furniture arrived in our new house a week ago Friday so we have been frantically unpacking. I am happy to say that I am in love with my new scrapping room as I actually have more storage than I need (great excuse to go shopping huh). I will post some photos within the next week or so as I still have huge piles of stuff to sort and get into the proper home.

As many of you know, we live in the mountains of Colorado and our new home has provided us with lots of wildlife viewing including horses, elk, coyotes, foxes and now even a very large black bear. About 3am Saturday morning we were woken up by the sound of our hummingbird feeder crashing down on our back deck. Now keep in mind that the feeder was hung (by us on a ladder) between the first and second story of our house. My hubby immediately jumps up and says the bear is here as we had heard stories of him in the neighborhood. Sure enough a very, very large black bear had proceeded to tear the hummingbird feeder and its bracket from the side of the house and was lapping it up. We watched him (from the second story) for about 15 minutes before he lumbered off knocking over our landscaping lights and sniffing "Pinky" the pink flamingo. Upon inspection the next morning, we had sticky bear prints all over the back decks.

Here is a photo of the bear prints...
Sticky Bear Prints By Ars.scrap

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ars.scrap

WOW! What a story! We were just in Alaska and all over Yellowstone and through Wyoming and more than any thing else I wanted to see a bear.

Not one bear showed up - not one. And here one came right to you.

I am so jealous! I know there is damage to your hummingfeeder and lights - but a bear! I would love to watch a bear for 15 minutes.

Way cool that you got the photo of his pay prints. If he comes back, would it be possible to get a photo or would the flash cause him to go a bit crazy?

We are still in Hawaii - we've been gone about 8 weeks. I'm ready to go home. Our granddaughters first birthday party is in Georgia on Sept 1st.

I'd like to go home, pick up our other son and get a few things done then go to Georgia for about a week.

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

To be completely honest, we were both a bit too afraid to go downstairs because the back of our house is all glass so no pictures of the actual bear... We wanted more than a thin piece of glass between us and him...

The bears have been very active here the past couple of months due to the drought and upcoming winter. I have a friend here who had a bear break into her garage and then when he could not get into the bear proof trash container, he proceeded to get mad and thrash the can all around the garage and denting the side of her brand new car all up.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics