Username Post: Bitten By the Travel Bug - CLOSED        (Topic#1561931)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sherrenae

Believe it or not, I never went on a real vacation until I married Bill just under 4 years ago. I grew up in Miami and both of my parent's famies lived in Alabama so vacation was always to put us 3 kids in the car late at night and drive 13 hours straight through the night so we'd sleep almost until we got there. Then we visited the grandparents and went home. Never any other kind of vacation.

When I was married before it was just to visit families so my first real vacation was with Bill except for one trip he and I made to Boston in 1970 to visit his grandmother, but we still saw stuff.

My mother has never been on a real vacation on her life and doesn't want to go and neither of my brothers has ever been on a vacation. They run their own business and time away has never been a possibility.

Grandparents - they were farmers so I doubt they went anywhere. Mom grew up without even a family car.

Travelling is very new to me and I'm loving every minute of it. We are fortunate to have military flight benefits and are able to find inexpensive cruises!

Actually (and this may sound strange) I'm now that it was that way becuase ever where I go with my husband is new to me - I'm discovering the world with him. Now I wouldn't have it any other way - I'm glad I'm seeing all these places for the first time with him.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

Chinaman's Hat - Hawaii By Henri Jean

THANK YOU - Veteran's Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (Hawaii) By Henri Jean

Hawaii - Are We Out of Gas? By Henri Jean

Pink Spoonbill
Diva
Pink Spoonbill
In response to Sherrenae

Gosh Angela, I am sooooooooooo jealous of you. I have tried that lottery 20 times and have never made it. I have the worst luck for lotteries. You are doing a great job on capturing the bears. You two take the best photos.

Henri, how was sleeping in your own bed? I love it the first night back. I see you are at it again already.

Hello everyone! It seems like ages since we have all been on. Let see I just got back from the best road trip. Flew into Houston, visited my sister and the kiddos in San Antonio, then, had jerky at Buc-cees (for any Texans out there), Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida. We hadn't been on a road trip in years and didn't know how we would do. We did great. To answer the question, we are like Angela....we travel by the seat of your pants. I hate tours. If I want to take 20 minutes taking a photo of a flower, I don't want some guide coming along hurrying me to get back on the bus. LOL!

Childhood trips: My GM and GP were gypsies. They travelled extensively and when they could, I came along. I went all over the midwest, California and Florida. It was a thrill for me to be with them.

Well back to work so I can pay for another trip. LOL!

scrapperbee
Angel
scrapperbee
In response to Pink Spoonbill

Hello,
I answered Henri's invite in the other thread, and she told me to come over and introduce myself.

I don't like to travel (getting there), but I love to see new places. And between a dh who could have been a travel agent, taking school groups on trips (including 16 or so to Europe), and then just enjoying get-aways, I do spend a lot of time away from home.

Looking forward to this group--and enjoying places like China vicariously--I can't imagine those long plane trips.

Pink Spoonbill
Diva
Pink Spoonbill
In response to scrapperbee

Welcome Bev. I know I live vicariously with the group and their travels. Sure looking forward to hear about your trips to Europe. I have never been to Europe. So many places, so little money and time!

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

Growing up, most of my vacations were with my parents to semi local attractions like Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, Mo (I grew up in SW MO). With my grandparents it was always an annual summer vacation to Branson, MO or to Galveston TX (once they had a travel trailer).

It wasn't until I met and married Matt (DH) that we started traveling all over. I had a lot of lost time to make up for and think I've done pretty well!! Before Matt and I started dating, I had never even taken a week off work before, isn't that horrible. Henri, I love your sentiments about discovering the world with your DH, I feel the same way.

Terri - We missed out on the lottery this past summer so we are 2 of out 3 tries for McNeil. We always try for August so that we get to see the mom's & babies. The falls with the "big" boys are neat to see, but we really like the family units better (esp for us photography nuts). We tried for June this year and no luck so we will go back to August next year... If you ever want to try for a permit together, let me know!!

Bev - Welcome to the group, so glad to have you. It might be nice for all of us to do a quick introduction here so you get to know us as well.

My name is Angela and I live in the Rocky mountains of Colorado in a small town near all the ski resorts (Breckenridge, Keystone, Vail, etc). DH and I are avid photographers, general all around outdoorsy types and to travel. Since we started dating in 2004, I have visited over 14 European countries and most of the US States & Canadian provinces. Before that I was limited to a handful of states and of course, the obligatory Mexico trip. I started scrapping in 2005 after DH and I were engage in Italy and have been hooked ever since. My style is pretty plain with a huge focus on the photos.

Hmmm... think I've rambled on more than enough for one post...

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ars.scrap

Welcome Bev - a little info on me. I never travelled in my life (other than visiting relatives out of state with my parents) until I married my teenage sweetheart 3 years ago. We were engaged at 19, I broke up with him, he stayed in touch for 38 years and I finally married him. Very condensed version.

During the 38 year break-up he spent 20 years in the army in Special Forces and retired from the military. Uncle Sam is very generous and military retirees with 20 years or more of service are able to travel for free on military aircraft as long as there are availble seats and it isn't a flight into a war zone.

THe offer extends to spouses so Bill and I are very fortunate to be able to fly to Germany, Italy, SIngapore, Japan, AUstralia, all over the world at no cost.

Bill's hobby is to look for inexpensive cruises with good ports and repositioning cruises are our favorites but we often leave from Italy or Singapore or end up in Australia but with free airfare on military planes, that works for us.

We also go to Hawaii twice a year for about 3 weeks or a month. Bill collects license plates and we have about 50,000 which we sell to vendors at the International Market and other places including Dole Pineapple Plantation for resale. Makes the trip a business expense although 95% of the time we play when we are there.

Also, we live in Florida but Bill has 2 license plate conventions every year - one in Las Vegas so we drive from Florida to the west coast every year in the van and take about 15,000 license plates for sale or trade.

He also has another convention every year in a different city - next year is Buffalo I think so that is another road trip for us. We take about 3 weeks to a month for each of the license plate road trips and tour everywhere on the way.

We are retired, kids grown and free to travel so that is what we do.

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

Ask and you shall receive Henri...

Page 1 of the London album... this is probably the toughest page I've done... I'm not that good at clustering and boy is it busy (not my style at all!!)

London England By Ars.scrap

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap
In response to ars.scrap

As I was filing away the London page, I came across one of my favorite pages from Greece so thought I would share...

Beautiful By Ars.scrap

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ars.scrap

I need to add Bev - I'm a bit like you - I don't enjoy the travelling part of getting somewhere as much as being there.

When flying I like the take-off and I love the landings but in-between, I'm bored.

On cruise ships I can handle a sea day here and there to chill but I don't want several in a row. I want to be there. We've cruise Atlantic and Pacific with 7 or 8 sea days in a row and by day 3 I'm ready to jump off the ship!

When we take road trips I love the stops but restless in the car - I want to be there!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

WELCOME MONIQUE AND ELS!

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2

Hi everyone, thank you for letting me into this group. My name is Els and I live in the Netherlands. My husband (hereafter referred to as Henk) and I love to travel. I have been travelling with my parents within Europe from when I was six months old and after my parents passed Henk and I started travelling more outside Europe.

Within Europe we have been to most countries, besides the former East block countries (we have been to Poland and Russia). I guess the good thing about living in Europe it is so easy to cross the border (since the countries are much smaller).
Outside Europe we have been to Japan, a couple of countries in Asia, Panama and Colombia. We fly regularly to Canada since my best friend moved there in 2008 and I am sure it will be a surprise for most of you: we have hardly visited the USA. For some reason so far we just have not been able to go over and see some more.

Like Bev I do not like to travel (terrible fear of flying and not too keen on water), but love being in places that do not remind me of home.

Besides travelling we love to visit Hard Rock Cafes, which are always included in our travels. Often we travel with a group of friends (from Belgium, Germany and Denmark).

My scrapbooks are all travel albums and I am still trying to catch up with them. I am making good progress, but have a long way to go.

I am really looking forward to being a part of this group and hear about your travels and see the results of your scrapping!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to elsje2

Everytime I see a Hard Rock cafe Els I think of you. We just saw one in Quebec. We actually like a lot of the food and go in the from time to time. We went into the one in Barcelona twice and really enjoyed the Hard Rock in Munich.

I've really enjoyed your posts with your Asian pages - so many are familiar places to me like Malaysia.

I've been travelling less than 4 years so I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do! So many places I want to see.

I have been to Russia but just two places but not to Poland.

Bill found a 68 day cruise he really wants us to take around South American (we've done that before but this has some different ports) and also all the way inside the Amazon which we have not done. However, it starts January 5th and our son hopes to have serious brain surgery sometime in January so we can't book it until we know his surgery date and how long his recupperation will take.

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

Welcome Els - I'm so jealous, we would love to live in Europe!!! Maybe someday England as my hubby has dual citizenship for both US and UK.

in relation to eastern countries, we spent our 6 week honeymoon based out of Prague, Czech Republic, but also traveled to Hungary, Poland & Austria on those trips. Loved it. We also did a trip several years ago to Croatia which I would Highly recommend.

If you ever come to Colorado, let me know and we will treat you to the Hard Rock Cafe in Aspen!

My albums are also almost all travel albums (with a few of my nieces & family also) and I am so far behind... We did a two year RV trip through the US/Canada which ended in Feb of this year and I have only gotten about 9 months of it done besides a bunch of other places...

Welcome to the group, I'd love to hear about some of your favorite european spots, especially those that are off the beaten path!

Pink Spoonbill
Diva
Pink Spoonbill
In response to ars.scrap

Els, I thought of you on our trip. We had lunch at the Hard Rock in Biloxi, Missisissippi. LOL!

Welcome Monique.

To introduce myself: Sorry a little gun shy these days. I live in Alaska. I'm been married to a wonderful guy for almost 30 years. I would rather travel than anything else. To me, there is something to see anywhere. We go to the Caribbean every Spring to get some sunshine to make it through to summer. I'm a beach girl. I LOVE bears but my new favorite critter is spoonbills after our trip to Gulf Coast. Goofy birds! That is me in a nutshell.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Pink Spoonbill

Hawaii - See's candy By Henri Jean

scrapperbee
Angel
scrapperbee

OK, just finished a two-day VA field trip, a 10 day Europe field trip, and a 4 day DC field trip--and have lots of travel pics from all sorts of past vacations and trips. Must get scrapping.

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I hope I will be able to give you tips about places we have been to. I started reading all the postings on this group, but it might be a while before I have! I did see an older remark made by Henri about Ryanair; there is a reason why they are called Ruinair in Europe!

About the Hard Rock Cafes: I seem to have that effect on many people. All my colleagues tell me they thought of me during their holiday if they saw one.

As you might have noticed one of my other favourite past times is writing. Most of my answers could have the length of a novel. I hardly do any journaling on my scrapbook pages, because I make a full day-to-day trip report of our travels. They come in handy, if someone needs to know a nice place to stay or want to know about transfers.

Angela: I love the UK. I do think you either love it or hate it, but it is one of our favourite holiday destinations.
Other places in Europe I can highly recommend are Barcelona, Lisbon and Florence. If you like quaint and old and wandering through cities, they are great. And Ireland of course. But Ireland is very green for a reason! Please remember I am not a city girl at all, so if I like cities, I really think they are special. I prefer forests, landscapes and nature. Because of our love for the Hard Rock Café (and of course scrapbook stores) we do end up in cities. So far have not find either of those in a forest!

Henri I am sending positive thought to you and your son and hope his surgery and recuperation will go well.

rubymillerand
Guru
rubymillerand
In response to elsje2

Morning everyone. I wanted to catch up reading the posts to make sure I was up to date. Eileen, I hope you have a safe trip down to FL. What part are you heading to?

This sounds like a wonderful group and its nice to be able to bounce so many different ideas and travel plans off one another. By the time I was done reading, my travel wish list is one page longer!

I'm Monique. I grew up in Connecticut and moved to FL back in 2010 only to move back to CT last year and then move back to FL a few months later and now I'm back here for the next few yrs. When I was little, we used to go on rides every weekend. We only lived about 10 mins from the NY State border and we'd just get in the car and go. We'd go to Old Orchard Beach w/ my grandparents. My grandfather used to own a radiator shop and I would go for the rides w/ him.

When I was 16, I took a greyhound bus by myself for the 1st time to see my Aunt in KY. She's a Catholic Nun and I was going to spend a week w/ her down in the Convent. I was working in a grocery store and had paid the trip myself. I had such a good time and was completely hooked. After I graduated and got my license, I was gone every chance I got. Although, I haven't been out of the States yet, I think my 2 favorite places so far have been San Francisco and Maine.

Ryan (DH) and I are looking to get an RV in the next few months. I've always been one to just get up and leave and I want to be able to show my kids (Andy, 6 and Adriya, 17 days) what the real America is like. School books are great and all but I'd like them to learn about places like Gettysburg by seeing it first hand. Andy's first road trip was when he was 7 or 8 months old when we went down to FL and at 11 months, he went on his first airplane ride. He was such a good baby during that flight. I think if I had to count, he's been on 4 round trip flights, 2 one way flights and has driven w/ us back and forth to FL about 7 or 8 times, including twice in a 17ft uhaul truck. Andy absolutely loves the rides and we've got a bucket list going of all the places we want to go to. As soon as the weather calms down and we get clearance from my/baby's doctors, we're going back up to CT to see Ryan's grandmother for a week.

Henri and Angela, I loved your pages. Thanks for sharing them. Els, Bev and everyone, its been very nice to meet all of you.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to rubymillerand

hi everyone - thought I would check in with this group b/c I'm at the airport. LOL. Just a short little trip to Florida to look at a possible house.

I know many of you --but will introduce myself to my new friends.

I am a Jersey girl thru & thru but moved to Eastern NC 20 + years ago. I'm married with 2 teenage boys. We love to travel. AS a child -- the only place we went was for a week at the Jersey Shore. Poor Mom even had to go to the laundromat!

My children have very filled passports -- hope they appreciate it. We love to travel to Europe. Been to St. Petersburg -- would love to go back.

Els -- I've been to Netherlands once. Just for the day (BOOOO). We had a stop in Amsterdam on a cruise. Would love to go back. Since I have Dutch blood -- my grandfathers maternal side were from the Netherlands - but long long ago.

I'm an avid animal lover - I'm involved in animal rescue and foster dogs. So my life is always a mess.

I also love Tennis and still play competitively.

Welcome to all the new faces --

BTW - my next BIG trip is to China next summer. We are getting very excite. Adn Bev -- I am not looking forward to the plane ride. I'm way to hyper to sit that long.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics