Username Post: Bitten By the Travel Bug OPEN!        (Topic#1561931)
ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to ncyankee

Angela -- I LOVE your cover page. Not busy at all -- fun and exciting. I will be back officially later to leave gallery love.

See ya later

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ncyankee

Eileen - I loved China! Where are you planning to go in China? Lots of China stuff in my gallery becuase we were there less than a year ago.

Shanghai - that is a must see. Breathtaking and so much to do. If you like Temples, there is the Jade Temple with the world's largest jade sculpter and it is of a Buddha. It was an interesting - we did the whole Shanghai thing by bus and subway. We found it easy to get around, but then again Bill gets around anywhere easily. The main street on the water is the Bund. There is an underground Bund trip for about $8.00 - Totally NOT worth it. Every one on our cruise ship who went on it felt like we wasted $8.00 although it is really hyped up on the internet.

Hong Kong - you will probably want to take the venicular or incline to the top of the Peak. Nice view from up there and nice photo ops. Also, the night market in Hong Kong is interesting but it is huge. Like a big flea market, but still interesting. Bill bought everyone those green laser pointers in a strength that is illegal to buy in the states.

Also while in Hong Kong you may want to do the Sampan tour. Its a boat and takes you all around to see the fishing boats and sadly, the boats people actually live on. In the middle of the water is a restaurant called Jumbos. We did not go to the restaurant and I wish we had. Very ornate from the outside and has been in a several movies but I don't know which ones. Hate we didn't at least go in but you have to get there from boat. Several on our cruise ship ate there.

Beijing - I fell in love with this city. Tianaman square is fabulous but you will want some good daytime shots of it. They don't tell you but at dusk they take down the flag which is right across the street from Tianaman in front of the Forbidden City. Those who know crowd over there so if you don't pay attention you end up in the back of a mob and you don't see anything. They have guards who march out and there is a ceremony that goes with it and then they march back into the forbidden city with the folded flag.

Once the ceremony is over the communist soldiers or police are everywhere telling people to evacuate immediately and they are serious. You can't loiter any more - you have to get out of the park. Had to think of this beautiful park as the center of so many riots.

There are many places to climb the great wall but the section I would recommend starts with "M" and I can look it up for you. It is supposed to be the best preserved and has a ski lift up (or you can climb up, but why when you can walk on top for miles and miles. When you get ready to come down you can take the ski lift or you can take the tobaggan. It is the only section that has a tobaggan ride down which Bill loved.

We went into a little tourist booth in a room in a back alley and got a fair price on hiring a nice car and driver and interpreter to take us from the hotel in Beijing to the wall and back.

We also bought tickets from them for the Chinese acrobat show that night in Beijing and it was fantastic. If you have time, you must see a authentic Chinese acrobat show - they will take your breath away.

We went somewhere else in China but I would have to go through scrapbooks to see where that is.

We did not see the Terra Cotta warriors and I'm kicking myself for that - Bill has been before and now we will have to go back to see that.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ncyankee

Bev, I've always wanted to go to Virginia and Washington DC and see Gettysburgh - do the whole historical trip.

Bill and I went to Boston when we were teenagers (my own real vacation under the age of 60) and stayed with his grandmother. We walked on the Paul Revere Freedom trail and I want to do that again but over several days. Also want to go to Plymouth Rock and Salem again - its been over 40 years!

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap
In response to ncyankee

• ncyankee Said:
Angela -- I LOVE your cover page. Not busy at all -- fun and exciting. I will be back officially later to leave gallery love.

See ya later

Eileen - Thanks for the vote of confidence!!!

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap
In response to scrapperbee

• scrapperbee Said:
OK, just finished a two-day VA field trip, a 10 day Europe field trip, and a 4 day DC field trip--and have lots of travel pics from all sorts of past vacations and trips. Must get scrapping.

Bev - We did DC and Virginia the first week of October. It was a family trip with my father in law and we basically did many Revolutionary time areas.
In DC we visited Arlington Cemetary, Mt. Vernon, and of course The Mall. In VA, we made stops in Fredericksburg, Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, and Monticello. It was fun and history packed trip. I have downloaded my pics and printing is this weekend for that trip! I'm so behind.

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap
In response to elsje2

• elsje2 Said:
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I hope I will be able to give you tips about places we have been to. I started reading all the postings on this group, but it might be a while before I have! I did see an older remark made by Henri about Ryanair; there is a reason why they are called Ruinair in Europe!

About the Hard Rock Cafes: I seem to have that effect on many people. All my colleagues tell me they thought of me during their holiday if they saw one.

As you might have noticed one of my other favourite past times is writing. Most of my answers could have the length of a novel. I hardly do any journaling on my scrapbook pages, because I make a full day-to-day trip report of our travels. They come in handy, if someone needs to know a nice place to stay or want to know about transfers.

Angela: I love the UK. I do think you either love it or hate it, but it is one of our favourite holiday destinations.
Other places in Europe I can highly recommend are Barcelona, Lisbon and Florence. If you like quaint and old and wandering through cities, they are great. And Ireland of course. But Ireland is very green for a reason! Please remember I am not a city girl at all, so if I like cities, I really think they are special. I prefer forests, landscapes and nature. Because of our love for the Hard Rock Café (and of course scrapbook stores) we do end up in cities. So far have not find either of those in a forest!

Henri I am sending positive thought to you and your son and hope his surgery and recuperation will go well.

I think the UK is "old hat" for Matt (DH) since he bascially spent every summer there growing up, but I loved it. And yes, it is green there too for a reason but after 6 weeks of a heat wave in Greece, we were happy to have cool & wet. We love old cities, in 2011, we spent a week touring France and then took a train over to Brugge Belgium and we loved it. Prague is also a favorite because it was never bombed during the war so everything is historical (if you ignore the occasionaly concrete building built during communism). Ireland is on my short list of places to visit. We have been talking about potentially doing a bike tour there, but who knows.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

Monique - where in Florida are you?

The rv sounds perfect to travel with 2 little ones and what an education! The history lessons will mean so much more to them.

scrapperbee
Angel
scrapperbee

I teach U.S. History, dh loves history, so we have covered lots of historical places; but our first Europe trip was in 1971, and we have enjoyed international travel ever since. My favorites are small towns--Florence, Salzburg, Canterbury, Assisi. But I like the big cities too--London, Paris, Berlin probably my favorites. Never been to Russia, but dh so wants to take a cruise and see St. Petersburg.

ars.scrap
Expert
ars.scrap

Monique - Speaking from someone who just lived for 2 years in a RV, you will love it!! Its so great to be able to take all your "stuff" with you, especially with little ones.

Bev - Loved Salzburg, it was fantastic. Haven't had the chance to visit the others yet.

I finished the next two page layout of our England trip. Much more my style this time!!!

Living History By Ars.scrap

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ars.scrap

I wish we had gone to St. Petersburg when we were in Russia last year but we didn't. Next time!

Angela - I love the style of the pages you just posted - really nice and clean but so appealing!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Hawaii - Dole Pinapple Plantation 1 By Henri Jean

Hawaii - Dole Pinapple Plantation 2 By Henri Jean

Hawaii - Dole Pineapple Plantation 3 By Henri Jean

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Terri - Bill and I did not do the maze but the kids did. Joe's friend of about 17 or 18 years flew out to Hawaii to meet us and the two of them did the maze. It was the best trip to Hawaii becuase we worked on license plates for a wee, then when Angie came out we halted all work and just played tourist for 10 days. When she left we had another week and a half of washing plates and work.

I'm way behind, still have one more trip to Hawaii to scrap. I don't think we are going anywhere for 2-3 months and I'm determined to catch everything up by then.

Pink Spoonbill
Mayor
Pink Spoonbill
In response to rubymillerand

• rubymillerand Said:
.... Ryan (DH) and I are looking to get an RV in the next few months. I've always been one to just get up and leave and I want to be able to show my kids (Andy, 6 and Adriya, 17 days) what the real America is like.....

Holy moley Batman!!! Congratulations!

Pink Spoonbill
Mayor
Pink Spoonbill

• Henri Jean Said:
I don't think we are going anywhere for 2-3 months and I'm determined to catch everything up by then.

What is going on today? I don't think you have stayed put for 2-3 months since I first discovered you on this website. WORLDS ARE COLLIDING!!!!! lol!

Pink Spoonbill
Mayor
Pink Spoonbill
In response to Pink Spoonbill

Good morning All,

Sitting here at work and wishing I was in my comfy sweats and scrappin' We got snow yesterday.

Henri, just saw a local news story last night that the Northern lights are super active in Fairbanks. I always think of you when I see or hear about them. I haven't seen them here but I will look tonight.

Everyone have a wonderful holiday weekend. Thanks for your service if you are a Vet!

Pink Spoonbill
Mayor
Pink Spoonbill

Hey Henri, can you change the first page with my new name? AK Teddy Bear is dead. LOL!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Will change in just a minute - should have already done it.

The reason we haven't aren't going anywhere is because Joe is supposed to have brain surgery and they are saying in it will be in January.

I told Bill what you said about the Northern lights and he said we could go after Joe's tests on the 19th if I want to. So we may hop up to Alaska in the next week or so - after Joe's last 3 tests on the 19th the hospital board will meet and let us know if Joe is approved for surgery to stop his seizures.

He is a candidate and his test results are showing very strong that he is perfect for this type of surgery.

Bill and I have our eye on a 68 day cruise in January or a 48 day cruise but only if Joe's surgery is in December (doubtful) and he is fully recovered from it.

That is why we are laying low for the next 2-3 months - waiting for Joe's surgery and recovery.

We could take a short week here or there and that is possible but no real vacations.

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to ncyankee

• ncyankee Said:

Els -- I've been to Netherlands once. Just for the day (BOOOO). We had a stop in Amsterdam on a cruise. Would love to go back. Since I have Dutch blood -- my grandfathers maternal side were from the Netherlands - but long long ago.

Eileen I have lots of friends in the US that have someone Dutch in their ancestry. If you ever want help with that, let me know. It is one of the other things I do, although at the moment I do not have enough time to do everything I would like. Amsterdam is a great city and since it has not been bombed as much as other cities, there are many old buildings that have survived. But I do need to warn you: Amsterdam is not totally representative for the rest of this little country. If you ever return, let me know and we can meet up.

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to ars.scrap

• ars.scrap Said:
  • elsje2 Said:

I think the UK is "old hat" for Matt (DH) since he bascially spent every summer there growing up, but I loved it. And yes, it is green there too for a reason but after 6 weeks of a heat wave in Greece, we were happy to have cool & wet. We love old cities, in 2011, we spent a week touring France and then took a train over to Brugge Belgium and we loved it. Prague is also a favorite because it was never bombed during the war so everything is historical (if you ignore the occasionaly concrete building built during communism). Ireland is on my short list of places to visit. We have been talking about potentially doing a bike tour there, but who knows.

Angela we have similar weather in the Netherlands. If we see the predict rain in the UK, we know it will come our way as well. I can understand Matt is fed up with having unpredictable summers. I do remember a great holiday in Scotland where we rented a cottage. We wanted to climb Ben Nevis and had to abort, because it was too hot! I just love the fact they are taking such good care of their heritage. Unfortunately in the Netherlands they have the tendency to break everything old down (not the tourist sites of course) and make place for most of the time, horrible modern buildings. For some reason whenever we travel to the UK, I feel I am home!

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2

• scrapperbee Said:
I teach U.S. History, dh loves history, so we have covered lots of historical places; but our first Europe trip was in 1971, and we have enjoyed international travel ever since. My favorites are small towns--Florence, Salzburg, Canterbury, Assisi. But I like the big cities too--London, Paris, Berlin probably my favorites. Never been to Russia, but dh so wants to take a cruise and see St. Petersburg.

Bev it is funny for me to see you are referring to Florence and others as a small town. I live in a town with 1800 inhabitants and 700 houses, so to me everything is huge! But I understand what you mean. Berlin is one of my favorite places, for some reason Paris and me are not going well. If you have the chance to visit St. Petersburg I can recommend it. There is so much to see there and I don't think I have ever seen so many beautiful buildings and artifacts in one place. We went there in 2009 and included Moscow (that is where the Hard Rock Cafe is) and took the night train from Moscow to St. Petersburg. Great experience. We were travelling in an individual group and I was so happy we had tour guides wherever we went. Most Russian people do not speak any English at all and my Russian is pretty limited! At the moment I am working on my Russian travel album, so when I come to St. Petersburg I will post some of my LO's.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics