Username Post: Lettering/Titling        (Topic#1562255)
New Kid On the Block

I am new to scrapbooking and I am having a little trouble with letters for titling. Letters can be pretty pricey and I have not found anything near as nice as some of the ones used on some of the beautiful pages in the gallery. I don't have a Cricut machine. Should I invest in one for letters or is there a different route I should take? Any words of wisdom that anyone can pass on? Thanks for your help.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to van8tive

I used to buy letter sheets but I found the colors didn't always coordinate or I would run out of letters when trying to 'use up' the sheet. I now have a cricut where you can do many things, but it takes time to build up a library of fonts.

have you tried using WORD on your computer? they have a lot of fonts you can do in different colors and sizes. that might be a good route for right now.

good luck.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Lamoo12

I love using rub-ons.

I don't have any diecutting machine either. Frankly, I don't feel I 'need' one.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Bxr-Linda

I used to buy tons of thickers and letter stickers, but I use my cricut now. I love that i can cut the letters in any size and paper that matches exactly!! Stamps are another way you can make titles. Stamp alphabets can be stamped and then cut out or stamped directly on the page. I hate spending money on stuff that I use up and it's gone...such as stickers, letters, embellishments, but if I make my own letters and embellishments- I can use that cricut cart many many times!!!! I now invest in carts and stamps!!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to binkiemonstermom

I would not buy a Cricut or any machine without trying it first! Micheals has a Friday night crop for $5.00 every Friday night I think and they have a Cricut and a Slice and other things to try. See how you like them. Go for the $5.00 scrap and make hundreds of letters if you wnat - mine has a tremendous assortment of carts to use for free.

Also, if you go in when there is not a class they may show you how to use the machines.

I wish I had gotten comfortable with it before purchasing one because I was really afraid of it and it sat for months before coming out of the box and being used.

Also, I now see the silhouettes and other machines some of the ladies have and I wish I had not jumped in and bought the first thing. I wish I had researched the machines more.

My favorite machine is my Slice becuase it is so easy to use and so portable. It is really awesome!

I love my Cricut and use it a lot but I wish I had checked out some other things too, like the Gazelle and Silhouette and others.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Lamoo12

Thank you for your response. I have been buying the sticker letters at the craft stores, but they just don't seem to look as nice as some of letters I have seen that were cut by a Cricut. Not to mention they are expensive. I have been thinking about buying a Cricut but I have been putting it off since they are so expensive. I may invest in one at some point and buy a new lettering set from time-to-time. I guess if I stick with scrapbooking, it would be worth it to invest in the Cricut.

New Kid On the Block
In response to binkiemonstermom

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas! I may also try the rub-ons while I'm waiting around to buy the Cricut or the Silhoutte (if I do). I may first take your suggestion and try the Michael's Crop Night since it's right around the corner from me. I've never been to any of their classes but it certainly can't hurt to try it out. Thanks again! I'm so excited to try out different techniques for my titles.

gracie_1990
Tenant
gracie_1990
In response to van8tive

I try to buy sticker letters when they are on sale. If it is a set that I really like, I will buy 2 packs. I also like to buy plain chipboard letters and dress them up with patterned paper that matches my layout. Plain chipboard never goes out of style and can be decorated to match any lo.

I would like to get a die cut machine one day, but its not in my budget right now. If I were to get one right now, I would probably get the ecraft or silhouette sd because it is compatible scal software. I don't want to be limited to cartridges.

momtokatie
Expert
momtokatie
In response to gracie_1990

When I first started scrapbooking, I bought the sheets of letters and then invested in the alphabet stamps. The stamps worked really well until I could afford my Cricut. I also used to print lots of my titles from my computer using word.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to momtokatie

Another idea.... Do you have a local scrapbook store? Many of them have diecutting machines you can rent or use. You bring your paper or cardstock, and the store lets you cut.

See how much you REALLY would use diecutting?

In my opinion, there are a LOT of other things I can buy with $100-$300 (or MORE ) that a diecutter would cost.

There are so many ways to make/buy letters and titles:

Chipboard
stamps
stencils
rub-ons
stickers
premade diecut letters
computer printed
label maker
brads
charms

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

My archivers had a free manual die cut machine and an awesome selection of die cuts. That is a great idea. But you had to buy the papers you were going to cut from them. That's fair.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to van8tive

I buy several chip-board alphabets in different styles/sizes--along with stencils-- and trace them. I have about 7 ways now to do the alphabet, but I will probably buy a couple of alphabet dies. Before I did this, I did all of my lettering by hand with no help!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to jaspernonyx

I will say to all those that are afraid of the cricut...go and try it out...any die cut machine if you can!!! I am not computer savy and don't always use my computer when scrappin' so the cricut was perfect for me. I use it for TONS of stuff now. I cut out stuff for scrapbooking, my son's school projects, bullentin boards (I am not a teacher but I am one of the favorite parents!!! I will cut bullentin board stuff for my son's teachers....they love me!!! ).

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics