Username Post: Cricut Expression Cartridge Trouble        (Topic#1562555)
New Kid On the Block

Hello! My wife received a Cricut Expression from our kids for Christmas. She recently bought some new catridges for it. Two out of the new four work, the other two give her a "comm error." Basically the machine is not recognizing the new cartridges. We plan on calling PC tomorrow, but were just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

Thanks,
Jim
Products Referenced in This Post:

New Kid On the Block
In response to jyork58

I had forgotten that my wife and our daughter-in-law tried one of my wife's non-working catridges in her (our daughter-in-law's) Cricut Create(?) and it worked in that machine. They then tried one of our daughter-in-law's known working cartridges in my wife's machine and it didn't work. Confusing, I know....

Thanks,
Jim

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to jyork58

It sounds like there may be a problem with the machine and not the cartridges. Try resetting the machine and see if that works. To reset:
•First, turn your machine on with no cartridge loaded. Then you are going to roll all your gray dials (the two on the left and the one on the right) down to their lowest setting.
•Then you will want to grasp the green/gold cylinder blade assembly and use it to pull the entire gray carriage car unit (the one with the Cricut bug on it) along its track to the other side of the machine. Back in the cave where the gray carriage car usually sits there is a red button. Press that button and hold it down for about three seconds. Let go and then move the gray carriage car back into place.
•This next step will sound a bit odd, but many times it can fix your little "bug". You're going to roll all your dials all the way up and all the way down three times--three times for each dial.
•Then you are going to hit the "Cut" button and turn the machine off. Let the machine sit for a few minutes (15-20), load a cartridge, turn it on, and try a practice cut.

If the above steps do not work, put in a call to PC and they might have to replace the machine. Hope this helps.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to HisGEM

Although this isn't my post...thanks for the resetting instructions! I printed them out just in case!!! Putting them in my cricut bag!

New Kid On the Block
In response to HisGEM

Thanks for the reset instructions, HisGEM! We tried do the reset and it still wouldn't accept certain cartridges. We also tried turning them around (with the serial number facing out), and that didn't resolve the issue. I called Customer Service at Provo Craft this morning and they were very helpful. They told me how to update the firmware, which I have done. However, that didn't resolve the issue either. I called them back and we are sending this machine back (on their FedEX account) and they will send us a new machine once ours is received. This has been kind of a pain, but they are making it right, so I am not going to complain.

Thanks again,
Jim

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to jyork58

LOL everytime I read the reset instructions I think to myself, should I also say hocus pocus? Who thought that scenario up? Roll all the dials up and back 3 times, then stomp your foot, say hocus pocus.... push cut, turn it off, turn around three times, LOL Just so funny! But I know it works.

New Kid On the Block
In response to sweet1

• sweet1 Said:
LOL everytime I read the reset instructions I think to myself, should I also say hocus pocus? Who thought that scenario up? Roll all the dials up and back 3 times, then stomp your foot, say hocus pocus.... push cut, turn it off, turn around three times, LOL Just so funny! But I know it works.

It is funny! I know that we were thinking the same thing while doing the procedure. I kept thinking "where is the part where we stand on one leg...."

Jim

surescrapsalot
Veteran
surescrapsalot
In response to sweet1

• sweet1 Said:

well, that was good for my laugh today! So true though....why not just have a reset button on the back....how easy might that have been....lol! Can you see the "repair room" at Provo Craft...it would look like some type of ritual dance in there!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to jyork58

The problem could be the firmware needs to be updated. I had to do that with some of my newer ones.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to jaxxan

LOL

New Kid On the Block
In response to jaxxan

• jaxxan Said:
The problem could be the firmware needs to be updated. I had to do that with some of my newer ones.

They did have me update the firmware, but the problem still exists. Weird....it just won't recognize some of the cartridges. And even more weird, those same cartridges work in our daughter-in-law's Cricut Create. I think this kind of had them stumped because the first gentleman I talked to at PC said that he was just going to send out replacement cartridges until I told him they worked in a different machine.

Jim

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to jyork58

I would expect the create to work since its a newer machine version with a little different programing. The Expression has been around a few years. ( I received mine in 08 i believe, years are starting mix together as I get older!)

So what was the final solutions, sending you new cartridge? New machine? Did they leave you hanging?

Edited by jaxxan on 08-10-11 03:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block
In response to jaxxan

• jaxxan Said:
I would expect the create to work since its a newer machine version with a little different programing. The Expression has been around a few years. ( I received mine in 08 i believe, years are starting mix together as I get older!)

So what was the final solutions, sending you new cartridge? New machine? Did they leave you hanging?

Hi Jill,

She will be getting a new machine. The kids got it for her for Christmas, but I guess it could be an older production date. What was really bizarre is that one of our daughter-in-law's cartidges wouldn't work in her Create, but it worked in my wife's Expression.

Thanks,
Jim

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to jyork58

OH I am so glad they are replacing the machine for her, especially, since the kids got it for her. Provo Craft is good about that kind of thing. Thanks for sharing the about the resolution.

I did have to laugh a little about the cartridge. Crazy! I think when Provo gets that machine back they need to completely disassemble it so no one else gets the "crazy" machine by accident!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to jaxxan

Oh gosh I just read that you had already said that they were sending out a new machine! sorry! DUH!

New Kid On the Block
In response to jaxxan

LOL!! No problem, Jill!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics