Username Post: Help starting out?        (Topic#1562635)
New Kid On the Block

M boyfriend and I have decided to start a scrapbook of our times together. We just graduated from high school in June and so far have pictures of our prom, graduation, a couple from going out to dinner and a bunch of silly "make a face" pictures.

We have an album and some papers, but have no idea where to start. Any help?

Resident
In response to Bekka17

You can start chronologically. It really doesn't matter what order though, as long as you are happy with it. Remember, you can always just create the pages and rearrange them later.

tegan-nicole
Veteran
tegan-nicole
In response to DolphinGirl09

Like Dolphin said, I would start chronilogically. Seemed to be easiest for me when I first started scrapping. You can start with whenever you and him first started dating. As for the silly pictures, I usually put those together even if they were taken months apart just to make a good layout. Also, one thing I screwed up on when I started was making a layout on one side of a paper and then another on the backside of the same paper. Dont do this because sooner or later you will want to move Layouts around. Create all LO's on seperate sheets of paper! another cool idea would be to write a little note to eachother and seal them in an envelope. Put it on the first page and DON"T open it until a year or 6 months from now and then you can scrap it then. And then write another one for down the road...good luck!

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to tegan-nicole

Yes, im scrappbooking for me and my boyfriend also, and im doing my scrapbook as a surprise, i would say put all of the graduation pictures as a layout or too, then just do the silly faces, and then go from there, one thing i love and i have been warned to do is put the years that the pictures were took, that way when you look back years down the road youll know!!

sammy_lou_sue
Resident
sammy_lou_sue
In response to Bekka17

I think that one thing that has helped me is to look through the gallery on here and pick a few that you like and are easy enough for you to do. Then just kind of try and do it. I mean, you can always make changes here and there to better fit you ideas, but it helps!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to sammy_lou_sue

Combination of all the above.
Pick the set of photos that you are most inspired to scrap to start. I would recommend getting the 3 ring album binders and protectors so you can move the pages around as you add to the album.
You can always arrange the album chronologically.

Christine19850
Veteran
Christine19850
In response to Bekka17

I'm a card maker and have only just made my first layouts in the last month. Both of them were based on sketches - I found them a huge help. There's heaps of websites with free sketches or page maps online - just google them! Oh and start with whatever takes your fancy. Although I'd probably put the photos in an album chronologically, I don't think it matters what order you do them in.

veejer
veejer 
Resident
veejer
In response to Christine19850

The key is to do what you like. Take a look at the layouts in the gallery if you want some ideas, but there are no rules. Make it your own! I don't make layouts like most people do. I like to make a scrapbook in a more traditional way with tickets, souvenirs, napkins, anything from the place or event where the photos were taken. This can also save you money on embellies. I even scrapped the front and back of a gift bag that a friend gave me for Xmas since she had decorated it so amazingly! (I wanted to save it, but then what would I do with it!)

Veronica

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to veejer

I agree with Veronica...

Collect things as you go, take out menu's from places you eat, ticket from the movies those are great as they have the date and name of the movie. Just keep in mind when you guys are out to grab anything that can be glued down as a keepsake.

My Mom went to Poland I told her this and she brought back a McDonalds french fry wrapper (w/ polish writing on it) and I used it as a pocket on my layout to hold her train tickets. She also brough back a used ketchup packet and I stapled it to the page.

Die cuts are great too but to save money on them check out your LSS (local scrapbook store) sometimes they have die cuts machines you can use for free if you purchase the paper from them.

Also journal, journal, journal... It doesn't have to be long or on every page. Mostly journal dates, places and activities. If something funny happened type up a paragraph or 2 on the computer. You can pick a cool font you like, a color of ink to match your LO, etc. If you guys have a favorite song you can print the lyrics.

Have fun with it!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Lauri D

Thank you all for your wonderful help and tips!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics