Username Post: Copics        (Topic#1562643)
Sara Faye
Veteran
Sara Faye

Where is the best place to buy copics? I really want to try them but 6.50 plus shipping seems like A LOT when I have tons of pens and markers already... And what are the best ones when youre first getting into them?

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Sara Faye

I would suggest you buy a couple in your favorite colors and a nice brown and black.
I started with 1 then 2 ...now I think I am up to 5. You don't have to go nuts afterall they are just blendable, semi permanent, markers.

But I will tell you...I would tend to avoid a starter set of the basic 12 bright colors. They may look good in a set but unless you use every bright colors there is it may not be useful to you. better to buy several shades of the colors you like and will use.

PS I think there is a big hype over copics. They may be the first blendable marker for most scrapbookers so it's all ohhh & ahhh. Buy a couple and if you love them you can always buy more.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to Gelidy Gelato

They're 5.24 at Carpediem store (that's the addy too)..up from 4something. They were on sale here at SB, although not right now.
I buy the Copic Sketch markers which are more expensive but I've heard that the Copic Ciao markers are just as good for most people's purposes and are cheaper.
The Copics prices supposedly went up this month and I no longer know where to go for good prices so I would probably check ebay and google them too.
I won't pay 6 something for a marker no matter what it is supposed to do..but if you do buy them I agree with gelidy gelato....buy a couple in a couple shades of your fave colors (for blending as that is what it's all about) and see if you like them.
I sometimes use them for coloring bling and other embellies on my layouts but you can do that with any alcohol ink which is what Copics are.

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to dollscrap

I just wanted to point out that Copics are refillable and the nibs are replaceable. So, that initial investment of $6 or $7 should give you a marker that will last a lifetime. Nibs are pretty reasonalbly priced and some places will fill your markers for a small fee. That way you don't have to buy the whole refill pot. My LSS does it for a $1 a marker which I think is pretty cheap.

That said, Copics aren't for everyone. Like others have said, I would just get a couple colors that you like and see if you like them and use them and then go from there.
Have fun!

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to Babylou

Joann online has sets and individuals. Get them when they are on sale - often 25-40% off. Usually can't use coupons on them.

M also carries a few dozen colors of the sketch now in their art department. If you have one that's a good place to buy 2 or 3 to see if you like them before buying more and worrying about shipping costs or minimum purchase. Pretty sure you can use a coupon on them too.

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to Babylou

Oozak hands down has the best prices for Copics. If you create an account, you will also get the "preferred" pricing. The sketch are now $4.47 and the Ciao are $3.17. Plus there's free shipping to addresses in the US for orders over $50. I've bought all my copic markers from them and have never had a problem. The guy who runs the store (Rusty) is super nice and is great with the customers.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to cat_woman

If you have one nearby Michaels sells them individually and you can use coupons towards them

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-10-11 10:32 AM
In response to MrsAnnieS

My M's doesn't have them yet, but Aaron Bros. has just started carrying a few colors and coupons are allowed.

If you just want to try them out, get maybe 3 different shades of a single color at first, that way you can play with them and the blending techniques and see if you'll like them. They work differently than a lot of other pens and markers, you may or may not like them enough to spend the money on them.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to cat_woman

• cat_woman Said:
Oozak hands down has the best prices for Copics. If you create an account, you will also get the "preferred" pricing. The sketch are now $4.47 and the Ciao are $3.17. Plus there's free shipping to addresses in the US for orders over $50. I've bought all my copic markers from them and have never had a problem. The guy who runs the store (Rusty) is super nice and is great with the customers.

I came on to mention Oozak and Cat beat me to it. I have almost all of the Copic sketch markers and got most of them from Rusty. Excellent customer service and probably the best prices AND fastest shipping around.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to siameseplease

Here in the UK, most people aren't using Copics, they are using Letraset Pro Markers which are supposedly better than Copics. I know they are only £1.95 here, so that would be about $3 each, but I don't know if you can get them in America or not??? They come in 3 different nibs too: hard thin nib, brush nib and hard thick nib and are all completely blendable.

Sara Faye
Veteran
Sara Faye
In response to SuperAllyFan

Thanks so much ladies!

Thaiti30
Expert
Thaiti30
In response to cat_woman

Thank you everyone for sharing your tips on the Copics! I just started my collections since my class at CKC. Now I have 18 total and I also buy my favorite colors 1st which is light purple Lilac family and I also purchased the colors in light medium and dark to do the tricks I was thought in class. Have fun with them and youtube is great to walk you through different techniques.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Thaiti30

I want to also add that Suzzane Dean has the best list of needed copics that I know of you can see it here:

http://www.scrapbitz-tutorialsandtem plates.blogspot.com...

Thaiti30
Expert
Thaiti30
In response to Sneezy1956

Thanks I just checked it out and she is very good at showing you how to blend and shade.

Sara Faye
Veteran
Sara Faye
In response to Thaiti30

I am so excited to get some! I just told my hubby I wanted some for christmas (we start early lol spread out the spending!)

Thaiti30
Expert
Thaiti30
In response to Sara Faye

Have fun with them!!! I always wanted to know what the big hype was about and everyone was right!!! I use a coupon at M's to get mines

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Thaiti30

Suzzanne is amazing and she has some great tutorials. I do a modified method of how she colors. I think we all kind of learn what works best for our self

Thaiti30
Expert
Thaiti30
In response to Sneezy1956

I agree with you Sneezy1956, everything is a learning experience. Copics are very cool markers and I like the different effects you can make and color blending as well. I plan on doing many different projects with these markers and taking more classes at CKC to enhance my skills further.

LizardbethArt
New Kid On the Block
LizardbethArt
In response to Thaiti30

If you're looking to save money on Copics, the Ciao are almost identical to the Sketch markers with exception to their ink capacity. However, since the markers are refillable anyway, that doesn't matter in the long run. They do have a smaller color range than the Sketch markers (144 versus 300+), but unless you're planning to amass a HUGE marker collection, OR might be very particular about making sure you get just the right color, that shouldn't be an issue either. If you practice a lot with blending and layering your colors, you'll be just fine.

@SuperAllyFan: I've used Letraset's Tria markers for a LONG time, even before the redid their design around 2006-2007. I used to be a huge fan of them, and when they redesigned them with a brush tip I loved them even more. However, I've found they dry out WAY faster than the old style, or even Copics. I was having markers die WEEKS after purchasing them, or even after just a couple uses. I bought a set of 144 markers in 2007, and continually bought replacements until about a year ago when I decided to just switch over to Copics as the Trias died. Now I have about a dozen "New" tries left. HOWEVER, I still have over 50 of the "Old" tries left that are still going strong!

Maybe you guys over in the UK are getting better stock than we are in the States (which, if you are, I am SO jealous), but personally I would not recommend Trias. Even if they are cheaper initially, the refill cost of Copics makes them a better long-run value. Plus, the Copic brush nib has a softer stroke and thus blends better, so you can get a painted/watercolory look much easier.

Sorry, I'm an illustrator first, collage/ATC/scrapper second, so I'm quite passionate AND picky about my markers. ;^_^

Edited by LizardbethArt on 08-14-11 05:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics