Username Post: 40th Birthday - Husband Help        (Topic#1563075)
New Kid On the Block

Hi All,

I'm not a scrapbooker, but my wife, despite her busy schedule, loves to do it. So I'm asking for a little help. I know I will get a few dozen different opinions, so let me have it.

Here's some background. She enjoys scrapbooking but doesn't have a lot of time to do it. So keep that in mind. Here's my dilemma, I'm not sure what to get her, but I like these two ideas:

Silhouette Die Cutter: Downsides are that she will have to learn some new software and may not have enough time to use it fully or enjoy it much. It sounds really cool to me and looks like it would be fun to learn and play with. Again, time (two young boys) is against this.

Epson or another wide format printer: I'm leaning toward this option for a couple of reasons. It's easy and may not have much of a learning curve. My concerns with this is which software do you use to do 12x12 sheets? Are there templates she could start with and work from? What software do you use? We own Photoshop, though she doesn't use that much and I don't do it much anymore either. I like that she can lay it out on the screen and then print it to a 'scrap book' page. Though depth that the Sihouette would do.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your help. I have a few months to get the bumps ironed out.

JB
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by CaptnJB on 08-18-11 04:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-18-11 05:54 PM
In response to CaptnJB

You're sweet!

First - it sounds like she doesn't do much digital scrapbooking, so the printer is probably not worth it. Photoshop is probably the most common digiscrap tool so if she's not using that she may not want to use any other program. I do a fair amount of digiscrapping and I'm not interested in a wide-format printer, I just print mine at CostCo.

The Silhouette can be a great gift. I have a similar electronic die-cutter, a Gazelle, and I adore it, although I don't have much time either. However, if she doesn't take to new computer stuff and new software very quickly she may be frustrated by it. OTOH, if she's interested in designing her own die-cuts, it would be fantastic.

Another popular option is a Cricut, which you buy cartridges for to cut the images so there's not much to learn. And there is a third-party software option if she eventually wants to go that route.

Or, another option - a manual die-cutter. Most popular brands are Cuttlebug and Big Shot (or Big Kick, same machine). These require the purchase of separate dies, and you can use embossing folders in it (which you can't with an electronic machine). I have a Big Kick as well as my electronic, it's a great combo.

Or, maybe the best option - a gift certificate with an explanation that you were pondering A, B, and C, but couldn't figure out what she'd really want, so just take her shopping instead.

New Kid On the Block
In response to stick

Ok. I thought I might get a few more ideas but ill take what I can get. I am going to go with the Silhouette simply based on cost in the long run with the cartridges plus the availability of vector files makes it nice. I like the depth items give to a scrabook page such as mag. Cutouts, vinyl cutouts, etc.

Ill get a lot of use out if it too. Can't tell you how many stencils I've needed or wanted in my life.

Thanks, JB

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to CaptnJB

Another idea is that if time for her to be able to scrap is an issue, set up a schedule by which you will take the boys and keep them out of her hair while she scraps. Time is a gift.

New Kid On the Block
In response to aquabunny

That's a given. We're a pretty good team!

One more question for you guys...

Pazzles? www.pazzles.com

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics