Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Page protectors?        (Topic#1563135)
Soyala27
Tenant
Soyala27

I've been looking around this site and several others and I've got question about page protectors.

I've noticed a lot of albums in craft stores have sleeves that you slip your finished layouts into. Now, I was wondering, do you like those protectors, do you make your own albums without the protectors, can you buy a full album without them? The protectors just seem odd to me if you make heavily embellished layouts. Wouldn't the protector squash/smash your embellishments?

simplycrafty
Veteran
simplycrafty
In response to Soyala27

You can take the paper portectors out of most albums if you don't like them.. I use them becuase my pages aren't heavily embellished. If I were you I'd look into D-ring albums they have more room than post-bound!!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to simplycrafty

I use page protectors. I do my LOs and slip them into page protectors into Dring albums. I refuse to buy post bound books anymore!!! LOVE d rings!!! Other than small books, all my books are this way. I wouldn't know how to put a book together without them!!! LOL!!!
Sometimes the page protectors smush your embellies a big but no big deal and drings give you more room.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to binkiemonstermom

I don't embellish too heavily, but I still trim off about 1/4 inch of the edge so it allows me a skoshe of room for the page.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RockStar

Page protectors do just that - they protect your pages. I can't imagine scrapping without them.

If a letter or embellie calls off the protector catches it, you can retrieve it and glue it back on (had that happen) and the problem is minimized for dust on flowers and embellies.

Plus, I don't panic when people look at my books becuase I know I won't get fingerprints and smudges on my pages.

I also stick only to 3D ring binders.

Soyala27
Tenant
Soyala27
In response to Henri Jean

I can understand the benefit of page protectors, but I also like to make interactive scrapbook pages with envelopes, and flaps, and tags that are all moveable and meant to be touched. How do people scrap pages like this? Or is that something most people only really use in mini albums? I made a mini album that was like that, and I had a blast coming up with new ways to make the pages interactive so I was curious.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Soyala27

Soyala27, I haven't been brave enough to try this yet, but my mom typically cuts a slit in the page protector when she uses pockets and flaps and envelopes.

Resident
In response to aquabunny

• Quote:
I haven't been brave enough to try this yet, but my mom typically cuts a slit in the page protector when she uses pockets and flaps and envelopes.

I do this all the time. Really works well--makes your scrapbook "interactive". For example, rather than gluing down a post card, you can make a library pocket for it, glue the pocket down, insert the card then cut a slit in the protector This will allow both sides of the card to be accessible to the viewer.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to oilbrat

Oh, I use pockets all the time - I'm absolutely in love with a Sizzix library pocket die and K&Company's Smash pockets (I don't like most of the patterns but I just cover them with other paper) - I'm just not brave enough to actually cut the page protector.
Products Referenced in This Post:

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to aquabunny

I always used protectors but nothing cemented it more than when my son knocked over a coke on the page I had just finished and hadn't slipped into the protector yet.

cmkage
cmkage 
Expert
cmkage
In response to Soyala27

I'm a beginner as well, and I don't want to use page protectors for the same reason. I like using different textures and interactive features. So putting everything in plastic afterwards seems kind of like a waste to me. I guess I'd rather enjoy my LOs now instead of putting them in page protectors for all eternity and not having as much fun with them. If that makes sense...

jandkhtree
New Kid On the Block
jandkhtree
In response to cmkage

I have ALWAYS used page protectors but I see your point of wanting them interactive. I bought a leather scrapbook that did not have the page protectors in them so I of course added them!

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 09-07-11 04:53 PM
In response to jandkhtree

And when somebody drops a scrap book it is not the end of the world. A few plastic page protectors get torn rather than a few layouts getting ruined.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Obi

I use protectors so that when the littler kids look at the page, I don't have to worry about fingerprints or dirty fingers.

scrappingaddict
Pro
scrappingaddict
In response to Bekka17

I always use protectors as the purpose is to keep your photos in an acid free environment so they do not discolor. Eventually, without the protectors, your photos will discolor. In addition, I don't like fingerprints on my photos (which would happen if someone was looking at my book without protectors. And yes, the obvious reason is to protect your pages and photos from food or liquids. I have some LOs that took over 6 hours to complete and I would be devastated if they were ruined. I use to ask people to wash their hands before touching my books (yes, a little germophobic! LOL) but I am beginning to feel comfortable that I can just take a damp cloth to the protectors later, after they leave.
As for envelopes and other things on your page that you would want to view, I simply cut a line and hang the tab outside the protector so it can be easily pulled out to view. I have some examples of pages in my wedding album that I have photos behind other photos.

Anytime you see a "tab" or ribbon, there are that many photos behind the main photo.

http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

Vows are in these envies:

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/15151/view/ 1929289/-...

beebuzz
Diva
beebuzz
In response to Soyala27

• Soyala27 Said:
I can understand the benefit of page protectors, but I also like to make interactive scrapbook pages with envelopes, and flaps, and tags that are all moveable and meant to be touched. How do people scrap pages like this? Or is that something most people only really use in mini albums? I made a mini album that was like that, and I had a blast coming up with new ways to make the pages interactive so I was curious.

I sometimes make "interactive" pages, I still use a page protector, I just cut a hole in the sleeve so people can play/open/slide the moveable parts.

Never tried Dring though... Im starting to think im missing out

beebuzz
Diva
beebuzz
In response to jaxxan

• jaxxan Said:
I always used protectors but nothing cemented it more than when my son knocked over a coke on the page I had just finished and hadn't slipped into the protector yet.

HORROR STORY!

tegan-nicole
Veteran
tegan-nicole
In response to beebuzz

OP and cmkage...I look at it this way, if you use page protectors and someone who isn't gentle gets ahold of your book/layout, what would you rather have torn up...a plastic page protector, or a beautiful layout you spent hours working on and possibly priceless pictures? As lots of have mentioned, there are lots of ways to still make your pages interactive. I would definitely recommend using them. I think they are probably the most "worth the money" supply.

cmkage
cmkage 
Expert
cmkage
In response to tegan-nicole

Maybe I'm not so worried about something getting ripped etc because there is little chance that someone who won't be careful will be looking at my scrapbooks. There are actually no small children in my family, so it is highly unlikely that a kid will look at them. I know even an adult could accidentally damage a page, but that is a risk I'm going to take for now. I just like using different textures too much and I'd hate if it all disappeared behind plastic. In my mind, interactive pages are made to be touched.

I am thinking about getting decorative boxes for the books though, so nothing happens to them in storage and I don't have to worry about dust etc.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to cmkage

Wait, how are you putting them into an album?

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics