Username Post: Cardstock        (Topic#1563191)
New Kid On the Block

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the whole scrapbooking scene so I was wondering if anyone could help me out.
I'm wanting to make my own book with chipboard covers and I want to use a sturdy cardstock as the pages, but need to know what the best thickness/paper weight is to use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kristina

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to madwithwonder

Are you making a mini album or a regular sized album? Will it be bound with rings or bound in a different way? I'm not sure I understand exactly how you're planning on making the album.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to Here Kitty

I would like to know too...are you planning on having only cardstock for the pages? Will there be page protectors? I guess I need to know more about the actual album you're planning.

New Kid On the Block
In response to tinacome

I was planning on making a 12x12 inch album and trying to bind it with ribbon. I can find tutorials online on how to do it. Only if I don't succeed with the ribbon will I do rings.
And yes I was only wanting cardstock as the pages, no page protectors.
My plan is to kind of create a rough/plain book that I can decorate every inch of with sturdy pages to handle mutiple layers of more paper and photos.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome

I'm not sure you'll be able to make a very sturdy album with cardstock and ribbon. If you punch holes in the cardstock, it's very easy to rip through from the binding material (ribbon or rings).

I don't mean to be a downer, but it's really disappointing when you work hard on something and it completely falls apart...I speak from experience! Why not just go with a regular album? If you want an unfinished look, maybe use a chipboard album and decorate it. It's lots sturdier.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to tinacome

There are some very good adhesives out there, but the perfect one has not been invented yet.

If you are using a lot of layers you risk some things coming off and with no protectors you risk looking pieces.

I speak from experience - I use protectors and I've had letters come off which are very light wieght and there weren't layers, but adhesives filed and they came off. Fortunately, they were contained in the protectors so I could just glue them back on.

Cardstock is not sturdy or heavy enough to be stand-alone pages. I also think they will rip right out.

iuplori
Guru
iuplori
In response to Henri Jean

I'm going to affirm what has already been said. Go with a chipboard album, and then you can cover the chipboard with CS. Otherwise, your hard work will probably not last too long. Good luck!

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 08-21-11 02:37 PM

• madwithwonder Said:
I was planning on making a 12x12 inch album and trying to bind it with ribbon. I can find tutorials online on how to do it. Only if I don't succeed with the ribbon will I do rings.
My plan is to kind of create a rough/plain book that I can decorate every inch of with sturdy pages to handle mutiple layers of more paper and photos.

If you are making an album with card stock pages it needs to be firmly secured at the spine. With twine or posts.

Ribbon will not be stable itself.

My mother made an album in the 1950's it had a solid chipboard spine and was bound with silk cord 60's years on it's still going strong.

She also made a 12x12 cloth coved chipboard coverd album scrapbook style bound with ribbon and filled with card stock. We have saved the photos we could.

If she had used posts the card stock could not have moved as much and the damage would not have been as bad.

Some people also like snapfastners. I find they break.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• madwithwonder Said:

This sounds a little like what people are calling smash books.
Smash Book

I agree with the other comments, suggestions.

veejer
veejer 
Resident
veejer
In response to Bxr-Linda

I've seen on evilbay some thinner chipboard that you may be able to use for the pages and the thick chipboard for the cover. I bought some of both types thinking I would do what you are doing. Sadly, the chipboard is still sitting there not being used.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics