Username Post: My First Album        (Topic#1563511)
QueenB79
New Kid On the Block
QueenB79

Hello!
I'm currently working on my first album and have a question about layouts. This will be a 12x12 album with quite a few layouts...it is of my 2010 Mexico cruise, and I have a lot of pictures. Of course, I know that I cannot scrap them all.
My question: should there be two layouts in each page protector? In other words, when the album is opened, should there be a layout on each side? That will be a total of 20 layouts! Does anyone ever have that many layouts in one album? How would it all fit? Should I consider 2 page layouts? I'm using the DCWV Mango Frost collection (see below) for this scrapbook. This is a very busy paper collection, so I probably won't use alot of embellishments. If I do use embellies, what could I use that wouldn't add too much bulk?
Hope my questions aren't silly. Any feedback is appreciated.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to QueenB79

- It is very typical to put two layouts in each page protector.

- Yes, it will be a total of 20 layouts. Lots of people have that many layouts in an album (sometimes more - I recently did a 30-page baby album for a friend, and my Hawaii album was 32 pages). It fits. They wouldn't give you 10 double-sided page protectors in the album if it weren't going to fit.

- Do 2-page layouts if that appeals to you or if you have need for it. If you have one picture on a certain theme then that's probably a one-pager. But a dozen pictures of another event probably call for being pared down to use on a two-pager.

- It would be easier to offer examples of embellishments NOT to use if you want to avoid adding bulk. Certain types of fabric flowers would be a bad idea if you want to avoid bulk, as would the use of foam dots or other types of dimensional foam adhesives. But things like stickers, flat flowers, titles, Jolee's-style embellishments, brads, stitching, tags, die-cut shapes, rub-ons, these are all fine. You will generally know, as you look at the item in the store (if you are in a physical store and not shopping online), whether something is too bulky for your concerns. Anything thicker than 1/8" will begin to add bulk and is okay to use here and there, but since you seem very concerned about bulk and making sure everything fits, you'll want to not use things of that thickness on every page. However, there is TONS and TONS of stuff thinner than that, no worries.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to aquabunny

yes, it's common to put 2 LOs in each protector. all my books are more than 20 LOs. there are extenders and refill protectors you can get to make the book bigger.

for embellie bulk, if it's raised a lot (more than the front of a brad) it will make the book thicker.

have fun.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Lamoo12

Stitching is a great embellie that doesn't add bulk. Fussy cutting paper out of your paper pack is another great embellie that doesn't add a lot of bulk. But 20 pages isn't that much...most of my books....all of my books...LOL...have that many or more!!!

Resident
In response to QueenB79

This is coming from another newbie. But do you want to use a post album, or do you want to use a ring album which is easier to add more more pages, infact you can add pages just to put extra photos if you want.

I am in the planning stages for a cruise album myself, and I went with a ring album.

QueenB79
New Kid On the Block
QueenB79
In response to QueenB79

Thank you all for your input!

I do see now that I don't need to worry about being able to fit everything in the album. I plan to use stickers as embellishments and plan to do a lot of journaling. So, nothing will really be bulky. The pictures I took are very colorful, and I want them to stand out, so I'll keep the embellies to a minimum.

Thanks again!

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 09-01-11 06:20 AM
In response to QueenB79

Just a couple of things to think about...

Mounting your pics on solid color cs will make them stand out from "busy" pp.

If you have a page that is really bulky, and you use the post albums, you can make a filler spine out of foamy sheets to make the spine thicker and the album will "lay" better.

If you have more pics than you want to scrap, you can add the photo pages:

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to melizaheins

• melizaheins Said:
The the two pages layout that you've thought is just a great idea! I remember receiving
SPAM! back then that have the same layout, and I liked them so much!

Reported.

Edited by aquabunny on 09-02-11 05:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to aquabunny

I'm lost.

Melizaheins is no more.... spammer?

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to Bxr-Linda

as far as having so many pictures from you trip and not using them all I'd like to suggest mini prints. Call around to local drug stores and see if the photo kiosk makes mini prints. CVS pharmacy does, and Bartell's in WA. State does. I print my focal point photos in a 4x6 or larger and 3x4, 1.5 x 2, and even smaller as accent photos.

Also if you click on your frosted mango paper you posted and bring up the product page and scroll down you can see layouts and projects idea that other people made using that paper. You can get an idea of how they incorporated their embellishments onto their layouts. Just remember that pp (pattern paper) is so fun to use but becareful not to have your LO so busy you can't find the photos. You want to enhance a photo not hide/lose it in chaos.

Hope that helps.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics