Username Post: Individual self-adhesive gems?        (Topic#1563541)
New Kid On the Block

I'm looking for some different embellishments for Christmas cards this year and I'm having trouble finding individual self-adhesive rhinestones/gems. I've found some, but they usually have larger sizes on the same sheet and I am looking to keep them pretty small - 3 or 4mm - OR they're all the same color.

I basically want a large selection of colors on one sheet. I'm not sure what colors I'm going to want, so I want an assortment of colors in the same size. Individual sheets I've seen that match this description are a bit pricey - $6 or $7 each sheet of 60-80 stickers - whereas the ones with an assortment of sizes or just one single color seem to be a lot cheaper.

Any suggestions on where I can go to find this kind of thing?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-28-11 05:16 PM
In response to thebrooksstead

There are some assortments in the store here. You might do better to buy smaller packs of individual colors rather than look for an assortment that you like.

New Kid On the Block
In response to stick

Ok and I just came across a video that uses a tool called the i-Rock heat setting tool. This might actually be better for me and might be what people are using - I just assumed the gems were stickers, but maybe not.

How do these tools work? Do the gems have adhesive on the back that sticks when the tool heats them up?

Which tool is the best for this kind of thing? I see the i-Rock, Jolee's, and a few others.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to thebrooksstead

I get the 4mm crystal gems from Joann's and attach them using glossy accents. Then I use Bic Mark-It markers to color them whatever color I want. LOVE that I can have ANY color crystals without having to buy a whole bunch.

Comma Holly told me this little trick. LOVE IT!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-28-11 06:39 PM
In response to Seaexplore

Do you color them after you glue them down?

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to stick

Kuzatab, I color gems and pearls, too, but with my copic markers. I prefer to glue and then color. I practiced on scrap paper the first time before coloring a gem directly on a layout. It was a good call for me, because copics can be juicy. I quickly learned that a dab goes a long way.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to Luvmyfam

I have an i-rock and I love it! The gems do have "glue" on the back that when heated from the top with the i-rock setter, melts the glue and makes it stick to what you stick it to. Once "stuck" they don't come off! One of the best "tool" purchases I have made in a long time and I use it alot! It's very easy to use too which makes me like it all the more.

I bought mine with a coupon just to try it because I was tired of having to individually glue down gemstones and I also didn't like paying a bunch for the ones with glue on them. Also, after they are glued down, you can use your markers to color them and make them whatever color you want!

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to Shutterbugg

You can also use alcohol inks to color gems.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to stick

• kuzatab Said:
Do you color them after you glue them down?

yep. Color carefully!

If you want to color them first, I'd use alcohol ink and a ziplock.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 09-08-11 11:45 AM
In response to Seaexplore

My Walmart just got in some different scrappy type stuff. They have packs of gems for $.97. I bought some clear and some in blue. They are self adhesive!

Edited by LeeLo on 09-08-11 11:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to LeeLo

I color mine before I glue them down..I think I am a messy colorer....I use my copics and now ONLY by clear gems and color them to whatever color I need!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics