Username Post: stamps and inking????        (Topic#1563701)
mars2005
Veteran
mars2005

I am so new that i havent yet started a project. My supplies should be here today or tomorrow. My question is no matter what i read i dont understand the "coloring in" of stamps. Do you just ink the whole stamp with a black or tan and color it in? I understand the pens from Copic, are they really that expensive? (at least to me being unemployed). can anyone give me very basic step by step (no videos) on this?

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to mars2005

I usually stamp with black ink. I will then color them in with water color pencils. The colors will blend together very nicely when you use a little water. Copics are expensive, but are awesome!!!
Products Referenced in This Post:
24 Watercolor Pencil Set (Discontinued)

Edited by debby_westbrook on 08-31-11 07:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to debby_westbrook

ok thank you. i was wondering about the water color pencils but since i do paint it didnt make sense. so they are basic pencils and add a dab of water and they blend?? cool. yea, when i looked at the Copic pens i was shocked. I mean, by the time you buy your basic colors your spending close to $100 or more. thanks again, i will look into those pencils. I seen them at Hobby Lobby (just yet another reason to go there, lol)

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to mars2005

Make sure you stamp with the right ink!
Momento for copics
Stazon for water colors

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005
In response to binkiemonstermom

sssoo, if i understand this correctly. i use Memento Ink with Copic pens and Staz On for Watercolor pencils. Is this because one of the ink used with the wrong pens/pencils will run? also, is Destressted just a product name or is that a specific "type" of ink? also, since the cost of the Copics are very high is it actually preferred with scrappers? why can you not just use any old marker?

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to mars2005

Yes, the ink will run if used with the wrong markers or pens.
When you say distressed, I think of Tim Holtz distressed inks, which is a brand of ink. You can also just distress a page which might be roughing up the sides, but when you mention ink and distressing, I think TH. You can use regular ink to get a distressed look too. kinda confusing huh?
I love TH inks because they are easy to work with and love all the effects- youtube Tim Holtz inks...amazing stuff.

Copics are expensive but you don't have to have every color. Copics are great for blending and shading....I am sure you can do that with any markers but copics are known for the way they blend. You need three shades of the colors you would use most....one dark, one light, and one medium....and some say to skip #s to get the best shading. They are nice and I love mine...but you don't have to have copics...buy what you like!!!!

mars2005
Veteran
mars2005

well, i certainly appreciate all your help. i recently became unemployed and have been oil painting, watercolor. Made a birdhouse and xmas ornaments. so, why not scrapping right? ive been collecting little stickers, gems, paper etc etc. waiting on some things from scrapbooking.com and oriental trading company and then...NO EXCUSE, i will make a card first. sometimes i cant sleep thinking of all the ideas running thru my head. ive signed up for so many websites that send me ideas everyday. JUST DO IT, RIGHT?

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to mars2005

There are so many great ideas here on scrapbook.com....I recommend going in the gallery, there are some talented people!!!! And the biggest thing....just try it!!! You can't mess up!!!!!

susanlk
Veteran
susanlk

Welcome to the group and this wonderful hobby.

I am a "lazy" stamper. I prefer to just use stamps as is. That being said, I don't get into stamps with people or scenery, either. I like simple images that I can just stamp and move on. I might add some bling or stickles, but you won't catch me coloring them in.

As was previously stated, Copics are known for their blending abilities. I may be mistaken, but I think certain types of paper also work better for them than others. I think some papers may soak up too much of the ink, therefore being wasteful. I don't know if it affects how they blend or not, though.

DeborahM-Mom of Two
Idol
DeborahM-Mom of Two
In response to susanlk

You can also use distress inks to color, colored pencils, water color pencils - Faber Castell makes some good products, glimmer mist ...You don't need to spend lots of money.

For inks, press the ink pad on your craft sheet, spritz a little water on them or pearlized water then use a paint brush to fill in.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to DeborahM-Mom of Two

I love crayola colored pencils to color in my stamped images with. I stamp in permanent black ink then color it in, shade as much or little as I want, then cut the design out and mat it and put it on a card or scrapbook page. There are some expensive pencils out there but for me the colors of the crayola ones are just as good and the price is much better. They go on sale at back to school time and every kid holiday it seems. I'm just a bug kid so I can get away with that, right? But chalks are great for coloring stamp designs too, they go on sale often as well.

veejer
veejer 
Resident
veejer
In response to catzscrapper

If you use watercolor pencils, should you use watercolor paper to prevent warping? I'm considering buying some watercolor pencils.

Thanks!

vanessa.S
Resident
vanessa.S
In response to veejer

OK I was way to cheap to buy scrapbooking pencils so I stamp with Staz On and color them in with Crayola colored pencils(50 pack for $5)I used Gamsol mineral oil by Inky antics to blend it all together and it turned out beautiful and very vibrant and its my new favorite thing to do!

SueLovesToScrap
Veteran
SueLovesToScrap
In response to vanessa.S

How do you use the mineral oil? Just brush it on? I've never tried this - usually just use a blending pen.

vanessa.S
Resident
vanessa.S
In response to SueLovesToScrap

The Inky Antics one I bought comes with these paper like pencils that you dip in the oil and rub on the image in circles,when you go to blend a new color you just sand off the tip to a new clean point.It's really fun and easy!

SueLovesToScrap
Veteran
SueLovesToScrap
In response to vanessa.S

Thanks - I'll have to give it a try!

dezignarob
Tenant
dezignarob
In response to SueLovesToScrap

You can enhance the quality of your stamping with the Perfect Crafting Pouch from ScraPerfect. If you pretreat your paper or surface (including fabrics) you will get a sharper result, and reduce bleed. It allows inks to adhere to slick surfaces, and it can also be used to instantly dry inks that are taking too long to dry so that you can get on with your coloring.

Here's a new You Tube video dealing with those uses, and there are a couple more on the ScraPerfect channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scraperfect#p/c/ 7378267F763...

I had a problem with some very slick dove stickers, that I wanted to look like pigeons. No ink I tried would adhere or dry, until I treated the surface with the Perfect Crafting Pouch. Then my markers colored beautifully and I had custom made pigeons to match the ones in the photos of our trip to Trafalgar Square (famous for feeding the birds.)

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics