Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: Embossing machines        (Topic#1564045)
scrappingaddict
Pro
scrappingaddict

I love the look of embossed cards and want to begin making them. I bought some folders and thought I could do this with the tool but I have found it is too time consuming so I've decided I want an embossing machine.
Looking for opinions on which machine is the best and why. Also wondering where to buy it and whether the templates are universal of do I have to buy the name brand template for the name brand machine. Any advise you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to scrappingaddict

I can only comment on the Sizzix Big Shot because that is what I have. I love it. LOVE.

So far I have used Sizzix dies, Cuttlebug embossing folders, Spellbinders Nestabilities & Shapeabilities (dies) and Spellbinders Impressabilities (for embossing).

I believe the only things you can't use in the Big Shot are the Grand Nestabilities, but I'm not sure so someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I did a lot of research before getting mine -- the Cuttlebug is comparable and pretty much everyone who has one of those loves it, too.

Whatever you get--shop around. J's periodically has them on sale online, I got mine through Amazon.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to kelseymel

Also, if you only want to do embossing and no cutting, I've heard good things about the Sizzix Texture Boutique.

(I prefer the "all-in-one" type machines personally.)

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to kelseymel

I am a bug person... Cuttlebug. I emboss and cut. Love it... often on sale at M's or other stores. Have fun whatever you choose.........

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I have both the Sizzix Big Shot as well as the Grand Calibur which takes the Grand Nestabilities (the Big Shot doesn't). If you think you will use the Grand Nesties then I would say go for the Grand Calibur, if not the Big Shot would be a great choice. Good luck with your choice

Sharon64
Resident
Sharon64
In response to SandraB.

I love my Sizzix Bigshot. And now they have the framelits dies they have blown Spellbinder to kingdon come. Spellbinder do very fancy dies, but the cutting edge is in the middle of the die so you never ever get an accurate cut if you're into stamping and cutting. Sizzix framelits have the cutting edge where it should be, on the edge. What you see is what you cut.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Sharon64

• Sharon64 Said:
I love my Sizzix Bigshot. And now they have the framelits dies they have blown Spellbinder to kingdon come. Spellbinder do very fancy dies, but the cutting edge is in the middle of the die so you never ever get an accurate cut if you're into stamping and cutting. Sizzix framelits have the cutting edge where it should be, on the edge. What you see is what you cut.

I don't understand what you're saying. (I'm not trying to be rude...or stupid...I just don't understand. )

I know exactly where to place my paper when using my Spellbinders dies.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to kelseymel

I can't imagine spellbinders blown to kingdom come

I think I am personally keeping them in buisness!

I think she means if you turn over the die to the cutting edge, that ridge is in the center of the metal die,,,,

Never been a problem for me either,,,,,since that section is the section that has an embossed edge, I don't want my image on that embossed edge anyway,,,,,,,,so I place my spellbinders die with the image within the perameters of the opening. Easy peasy.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

I just checked out the framelits,,,,,OK if you want to cut a basic shape,,,,,but they don't appear to have an embossed edge, which is the whole reason i BUY spellbinders,,,,,,

otherwise, I'd just cut the item on my cricut!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

That's what I was thinking - the whole reason Spellbinders dies are cool is because they emboss as well as cut! I don't have any problems positioning mine after stamping either.

Sharon64
Resident
Sharon64
In response to kelseymel

I'm talking about stamping and cutting out. Framelits do it accurately with no fuss. You can use their stamps and just cut. Spellbinders you have to make a template and faff about and then end up colouring the edges with a marker because they miss the edge of the stamped image. Framelits don't do that because what you see is what you cut.

Sharon64
Resident
Sharon64
In response to Sharon64

PS

I'm talking about being able to do this accurately. See the difference?

http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/657773/sizzix- framelits...

Look at all the faffing about here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGzQCfyhIqE&a mp;feature=...

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Sharon64

Yes I see what you mean, but I don't use that technique with Spellbinders dies. If I use coordinating stamps to go with my Spellbinders, I use the clear stamps, so I cut the item and then stamp it - easy peasy No template, no double steps, just cut and stamp.

And the coordinating stamps that I like the most are the ones that feature the embossed edge. I like the embossed edge much better than just the cut edge. Honestly, I can use fine tip scissors and cut around stamped images pretty well, so if that's all I want, I just do that.

Sharon64
Resident
Sharon64
In response to Here Kitty

Each to their own, but Sizzix takes the cuttlebug and spellbinder dies, so Sizzix is better value for money all the way around. I only ever purchased one spellbinder die and wanted to throw it into the pond after 10 mins. I like Sizzix, love the Tim Holtz range and love the new framelits which at the moment don't emboss the diecut, but they do emboss the edge of the cutout (if you want to cut windows in your cards and papers it embosses the edge). I'm a frugal crafter and like to see people get value for money. Sizzix dies are also way way cheaper than Spellbinders and that is why I said Sizzix has blown them to kindom come. I'm pretty sure Sizzix will be releasing new embossing dies next year.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Sharon64

I watched the videos and think the framelits are neat, but not something I think I need.

I LOVE the Spellbinders dies and have never had a single problem with them.

I love that the Big Shot is universal and allows me to use most dies.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to Sharon64

• Sharon64 Said:
Each to their own, but Sizzix takes the cuttlebug and spellbinder dies, so Sizzix is better value for money all the way around.

The Cuttlebug takes all these dies as well and is cheaper here than the Sixxiz machines.

• Sharon64 Said:
I'm a frugal crafter and like to see people get value for money. Sizzix dies are also way way cheaper than Spellbinders and that is why I said Sizzix has blown them to kindom come.

Not really sure how you came to this conclusion.
For example, The Sizzix and Spellbinders flourish type dies I linked are the same price.

I looked up prices of the Framelits and they're $20-25 a set...like Spellbinders. Only they don't emboss, so that's a big minus for me. Because with the Spellbinders you can emboss or you can have a plain edge...so it's double duty.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I don't think some of your info is correct...at least not for US customers. The dies seem to be the same prices, no matter which brand.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to tinacome

I agree,,,,,they are about the same cost, and I checked EBAY too,,,,,

I generally color my image FIRST and then use the proper nestie to cut it out,,,,,I might want more negative space around the image, or I might want the nestie to come very very close to the image,,,,,but if I do not want my image on my embossed edge, all I have to do is line it up inside the opening,,,,,easy peasy.

And as much as I love the woman in the vid, I think she tends to dither a lot with all her products I don't know anyone who uses that technique, to be honest,,,,,,

each to her own, and IMHO, they all have some advantages and disadvantages,,,,shrugs. Glad there's a product for all of us!!!!!

Edited by CommaHolly on 09-12-11 02:02 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sharon64
Resident
Sharon64
In response to tinacome

Framelits in the UK can be had for £10 a set. The Spellbinders in the UK range from £16 up to £25. A big price difference here. I guess the point is, is Sizzix will take all the dies so the cost is cheaper in the end to buy the Sizzix Bigshot.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Sharon64

the Big Kick won't take the grand nesties though,,,,at least not the largest of them,,,,

I love my big kick,,,,but I wish I'd bought the spellbinders grand wizard,,,,

OTOH,,,I do like the TH dies,,,,so maybe I just need both

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I also generally buy my spellbinders at Joanns with a 40% or 50% off coupon,,,,this week there's a 50% off coupon, so I will take my dd and we will each use a coupon to buy a set of nesties.

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics