Username Post: Give me the run down on the shiny stuff please....        (Topic#1564347)
pugs223
Idol
pugs223

A recent "what would you like to try next?" and a swap project have me thinking I would like to try some shiny stuff like glimmer mist and related products.

What's easy to use? Not too messy? Quick drying (I'm impatient)? Won't break the bank?

Another big thing is can I buy it at a brick and mortar store?

Disclaimer: I love this site, but I'm looking for a few things to use this weekend. If it goes well, I will stock up from here.

Edited by pugs223 on 09-15-11 11:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to pugs223

I'm a big fan of stickles. they're cheap (under $2 a bottle most places) everywhere (here, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore, most LSSs worth their scraps) if you only use a little bit, they're quick drying and they're so easy to use that people here have reported toddlers using them on craft projects (ok, so they were used with out permission and by accident, but still, stickles are so easy a child can use them.) There are also 101 shades of stickles, so there's plenty of shiny to choose from.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-15-11 12:03 PM
In response to moxiegirl23

I always make a mess with Stickles. Always. lol. And I haven't really liked how any of my Stickles projects have turned out.

I do love Glimmer Mist - something like Iridescent Gold or Dazzling Diamonds would be a nice introductory color and will give you a lot of sparkle without much of a learning curve (the brighter colors you have to spend a little more time playing with to find the look you like). Just spray on top of a craft mat or wax paper or something so the mess is contained and easily cleaned. Drying time depends on how much you spray but you can shorten it with a few passes from a hot air gun. Whether you can buy it in a B&M will just depend on your particular stores.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to stick

Glimmer mist or spray ink is a great start. Both can be found in B&M stores. I spray my CS and then put it on the counter and go get all my supplies out and start my project, by the time I come back, it is dry! Or you can quickly dry it with a heat gun!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to binkiemonstermom

I'll put in another vote for Stickles. The only time I've had a bad experience with them is when my cat decided to lay down on a layout that was left to dry. They are fairly quick drying, but I'd recommend leaving them a few hours before putting into a page protector. I usually do them at the very end of the project so I'm not tempted to mess with it before they're completely dry. Oh yes, keep your cat away from them!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to dwelch

I do have some stickles - I haven't quite mastered them yet. Going to have to try again.

Unfortunately I don't have a cat....my DH is allergic. Otherwise I'd have 2 or 3. I love cats. Instead I have a big, hairy beast dog who is spoiled by DH.

afilatreau
Pro
afilatreau
In response to pugs223

I'm a huge fan of Lindy's Stamp Gang. Very similar to glimmer mist, but the sprayers do not clog at all and the colors, IMO, are much more vibrant. I love all my glimmer mists, as well, but I'm partial to LSG products.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-15-11 01:02 PM
In response to afilatreau

try them all - but I will warn you they can all be messy...
which is of course why I love them!

Stickles - if you are careful about not using much I think you will like the results better and they dry quicker.
Warning: the distress stickles tend to spurt blobs too easily which irritates me.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to GMFTS

i'm a stickles and rhinestone girl myself. I love diamond glaze for applying rhinestones

Veteran
In response to Just G

BACK AWAY FROM THE GLITTER!! lol Couldn't resist - but that is one of the messiest - so I do mean that..:) I'm firmly in the Stickles camp - love using it and you can use as much or little as you want. And I also like to use rhinestones (mostly on cards) Good luck!

Edited by SunnyAB on 09-15-11 07:15 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
I'll put in another vote for Stickles. The only time I've had a bad experience with them is when my cat decided to lay down on a layout that was left to dry. They are fairly quick drying, but I'd recommend leaving them a few hours before putting into a page protector. I usually do them at the very end of the project so I'm not tempted to mess with it before they're completely dry. Oh yes, keep your cat away from them!

Just ask my cat about this one!! She had stickled whiskers for days.

I love stickles (I've learned to lighten my touch, or put the projects out of the cat's reach). I love Glimmer Mist, too, but it's messy.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Luvmyfam

stickle cat whiskers. I bet she is really pretty when all sparkly!

Edited by jaxxan on 09-15-11 08:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to jaxxan

Both of my cats have wore stickles, bling and glimmer mist. I can't keep either of them out of the scraproom and both think they are allowed on the table.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 09-16-11 05:41 PM
In response to Sneezy1956

I don't have cats but I do have dogs and my Brussells loves to eat anything I make using Stickles.I have to hide any project that I use them on!She is my Stickle thief:)

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to Bev1

Less is more, I find, with stickles. I have also blobbed them onto a pices of plastic and used a brush to apply them.

gracie_1990
Tenant
gracie_1990
In response to Sneezy1956

• Sneezy1956 Said:
Both of my cats have wore stickles, bling and glimmer mist. I can't keep either of them out of the scraproom and both think they are allowed on the table.

I use a spray called "No Stay!" made by Whisker City to keep the cats away from certain areas in the house, like the couch or rooms. It has an odor that cats dislike (but people can't smell it). You spray it daily, until the cat learns to avoid the area. You could spray the doorway and floors of the scraproom to keep them out. I got it from either Petco or Petsmart.

eshascreations
Tenant
eshascreations
In response to gracie_1990

I may not have cats or dogs (blame the co-op) but my daughter will vote for Stickles in a minute!!! She uses them for her art every other day

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to amandahugandkiss

• Juganda 2 Said:
Less is more, I find, with stickles. I have also blobbed them onto a pices of plastic and used a brush to apply them.

I will have to try this method. My problem was getting too much and I don't want it to look like puffy paint.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pugs223

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I do have some stickles that I'm going to play around with more and I ventured into "making your own glimmer mist". However, I need to find ink refill drops, alcohol inks don't work very well, or maybe I need to add less water....going to keep experimenting.

I also bought some bling a couple of weeks ago - clear rhinestone gems and white pearls that I have colored with my Bic alcohol ink markers, liking that so far.

Thanks again!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics