Username Post: beginning cardmaking        (Topic#1564505)
scrappywyo
New Kid On the Block
scrappywyo

Hi everyone! I recently started cardmaking... what are some tips you would give me for starting to make cards? I have lots of scrapbooking paper (LOTS), and lots of stickers/embellishments, ribbons, but only some stamps. What are important things to have?? And what are your suggestions on how to make my cards look professional? To me they look plain and "beginner".. Thank you.

Edited by scrappywyo on 09-19-11 02:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to scrappywyo

I love love LOVE stamps,,,,it's what I put my extra $$ on for a LONG time,,,,,

you can always print sentiments on the computer using really lovely font,,,,AND if you have a good printer, there's tons of free images out there,,,,

if you like vintage, head over to the Graphics Fairy website,,,,,she has FREE vintage images to use,,,,,,pre-colored, so it's really easy to make a card from there and let the image do the dirty work

a bit of lace, some inking and a bow,,,,,,,card made

If you have a cricut or any die cut machine, that really helps,,,

I lovvvvvvvvvvvvve my Big Kick for matting stamps and images,,,,,and I use my cricut quite often!

as for how to make them professional,,,,,,,I find a well matted card looks really professional,,,,,layers help it to be as well,,,layer those pp and cs

Also, don't forget the INSIDE,,,,I double mat mine and always put a few gems or pearls or stamp a fancy corner,,,,

and most importantly,,,,,,give it time,,,,,,,,all our cards look beginner when we are,,,,,well BEGINNERS practice practice practice!!!!

AND HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to CommaHolly

I echo what Holly said. While I feel my cards are "not as good" as others, you would laugh your head off if I showed you my "beginner" cards. Seriously awful stuff.

Anywho...start off doing what you like, not trying to copy what other people do. Play around with different materials, tools and techniques to get a feel for what you like. Go thru the gallery here and see which styles "speak" to you and try some of those techniques.

I, personally, love using Nestabilities on my cards. I love to make my own pretty flowers and mix paper patterns. Pearls, Stickles, and gems are loves of mine, too.

So, just jump in! And don't be afraid to ask questions--we love hearing ourselves talk.

scrappywyo
New Kid On the Block
scrappywyo
In response to kelseymel

Thanks for the advice! I have a Slice but really want a cricut. I am headed to my craft room now to practice some more

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to kelseymel

how could I forget digi stamps? There are TONS of free ones,,,,,or very low cost ones,,,,,

AND you can resize as needed,,,,,

you can color with watercolors, which is cheaper than copics,,,,and still get a lovely effect!

scrappywyo
New Kid On the Block
scrappywyo
In response to CommaHolly

Thanks I will have to look those up!

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

I sold my Cricut ( I had the very first one) and got a Slice 3 years ago. I love it. The machine and all my design cards fits in one of the photo boxes from Michaels.It's so easy to get out and work even if I only want one or two things. Have fun with your supplies.

msdixie
Veteran
msdixie

check out cardmaking vids on youtube. it's like a crash course. look up starofmay (kristina werner - she does "MACM" which is Make a Card Monday) vids, and used to do "Finally Friday" vids for TwoPeasinaBucket - they still have those but she doesn't do them anymore. But she is a graphic designer by trade and is a really great teacher. (now her friday vids are called 'friday focus' and they're just as good as finally friday - even better, i think.) Also check out jennifer mcguire - she does a lot for hero arts - lots of great cards. i don't watch tv anymore... just crafting vids on youtube, since i can watch them on my tv through our tivo. =D

i love making cards. some things to start out with, at least for me, would be distress ink in "vintage photo" and a makeup sponge. use it to ink the edges of your paper, photos, embellishments (leaves, etc.) for a really nice touch. A corner rounder is also something that gives cards a nice touch. I have the corner chomper (it has 1/4" and 1/2" corner dies on it) but just a simple one for $5 from wal-mart will work until you know what you want.

also, i think using pop dots (or for me, a roll of foam adhesive tape - i use it for everything, and just cut the size i need) really gives a card an extra punch. layers look great - using different patterned paper or cardstock to mat a sentiment, using pop dots, buttons with some twine through them.. rub ons are a nice touch as well, because they don't add to the thickness of your card.

have FUN!! =D

oh - and another gal who does lots of neat stuff for "close to my heart" is thestampgoddess - she has done some really great technique videos. i would highly recommend that you check her out, along with kristina and jennifer! but there are SOoo many out there. and i just thought of another.. lilypadcards (youtube) posts a new card vid every sunday. i always look forward to hers (her name is vicky and she's greek - i can't spell her last name without looking at it ) also there is a cute vid out there by lisa spangler (again, heroarts on youtube) and it's a "spooky trifold window card" i think is the title. lots of really neat tricks and techniques on that one. can you tell i'm excited about you learning? lol!

msdixie
Veteran
msdixie
In response to pinkpaperairedale

uhm hello, that is the cutest flippin' dog!!!!

msdixie
Veteran
msdixie

ooh you might want to look into the silhouette machine.. no cartridges required.. and portable. the silhouette CAMEO is coming out this fall/winter, and it cuts 12x12". we are all so excited about that!!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

isaype 
New Kid On the Block
In response to msdixie

Hi I want to know how and where the meeting is called the sheath or protective q put them at Target or the pages when they are completed and will sell somewhere in individual

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics