Username Post: Which glue/sealer?        (Topic#1564537)
New Kid On the Block

I want to affix some double-sided paper to hard clear plastic so that the design shows through on both sides. Is this possible? Or will the glue stain the paper and ruin the design on the side showing through the clear plastic?

Which is the best glue to use for this purpose? I also want to make the finish water-resistant or waterproof. I have been considering Glue N Seal, or a combination of Mod Podge or diluted Elmer's with a topcoat of a waterproof sealer like Beacon's Decoupage Gloss Sealer. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

-Pat

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to softshellcrab

what about glue dots just in the corners? or vellum tape?

I'd be worried that liquid glue would warp the paper. If you use something like diammond glaze and apply it VERY lightly to the plastic and then lay the paper on it you might do better.

Edited by Just G on 09-20-11 12:32 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Just G

Hi Glenda,

The paper needs to be firmly affixed to the plastic before using a sealer so I don't know if glue dots would work. Also, wouldn't the sealer then soak (possibly unevenly) into the paper and cause streaking?

What I think I'll do is experiment first with a scrap of the paper using diluted Elmers and if it doesn't look good through the clear plastic, I'll go ahead and order the Diamond Glaze. The reviews are very good for that and it sounds like it might work. Then I can just use a sealer over the Diamond Glaze to make it water resistant.

Do you just use a synthetic paintbrush to apply the Diamond Glaze to the surface?

Thanks for the suggestion,
Pat

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-20-11 05:34 PM

Definitely experiment if you have enough of all the materials. I would start with Mod Podge - it dries clear, but I think the trick will be getting it smooth enough so that the plastic side will not be optically distorted.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to stick

You can defintely see the tape - I used a clear acrylic album one and had to use embellies on the other side to cover the tape.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to SuperAllyFan

You want it water-resistant?

You probably need to use a 2-part epoxy resin.

I've never worked with it, but a friend made me a clipboard using that. It gives a thick, clear finish. I don't know for sure if it's water-proof, but probably more so than modge podge or Elmers glue.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Bxr-Linda

Linda's right - mod podge and most glues are NOT going to be water proof. Those that are (like ceramics, glass and metal glues) won't really work well IMO.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Here Kitty

you can get modpodge outdoors. don't know if it's SUPER waterproof tho.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Bxr-Linda

Linda, I considered a 2-part resin, but it's too much trouble. Won't a waterproof sealer topcoat work to protect against moisture?

I was at Michael's crafts store yesterday and bought Beacon's Decoupage Gloss Sealer. They claim it's waterproof. It's a spray on -- a spritz spray, not aerosol spray. Anyone familiar with it?

Edited by softshellcrab on 09-22-11 05:36 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Seaexplore

Mod Podge Outdoors is supposed to be water resistant. But I read up on it and someone said it is much thicker than the regular Mod Podge and harder to apply. It also leaves brush strokes in the finish. I'm looking for a smooth finish, though it needn't be perfect.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

I have no personal experience with any of these. So, I really can't give you any concrete opinion.

Let us know if the sealer works.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

As far as the brush strokes, usually using a foam brush will decrease, if not eliminate, brush strokes.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Bxr-Linda

Linda, I've read conflicting things about foam brushes, with some recommending them for varnishing, while others say they increase bubbles. I'll first try a foam brush. I bought some taklon craft brushes at Michaels yesterday but can always return them.

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet

As far as gluing, I saw Tim Holtz glue paper to acrylic fragments with Glossy Accents. Not sure if that helps.

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to scrapsweet

I would use Glossy accents to cover and I mean COVER the acrylic first and then lay the paper over. Use a brayer to smooth any bubbles, squeeze out excess, etc.

As for making it waterproof I'm not sure at all. The ideas above sound good though.

New Kid On the Block
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

Ashley and scrapsweet, Glossy Accents looks interesting. However, I read up on it and it appears that it sets up quickly. Drying time is fast, like 5 seconds. And it's a pour on, right?

I need something that I can apply with a paint brush to a broader surface, and which has some working time so I can press out any air bubbles or wrinkles in the paper.

As for a brayer, I was in ******** Blick's this weekend and they were so expensive. Something like $11.00 for a 2.5" brayer. Does anyone know of a good inexpensive substitute to use to flatten out paper after gluing it down?

Edit: Wow, they censor the first name of the famous art store? LOL. Well, I think many know what store I was talking about.

Edited by softshellcrab on 09-25-11 05:56 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-25-11 06:10 PM

For crafting, a decent brayer is worth the money.

How water-resistant does this need to be? I'd probably use a Liquitex Varnish to help seal it.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to stick

I don't use a brayer, I use an old credit card.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-26-11 11:48 AM
In response to Seaexplore

• Venter 2.0.3 Mommy Said:
I don't use a brayer, I use an old credit card.

I've actually scratched paper doing this!! Operator error, to be sure; just be careful

veejer
veejer 
Resident
veejer
In response to stick

I've used an old rolling pin when the paper is particularly delicate because I just know that I would tear it with any other tool.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics