Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: Masculine Scrapbooking Hints or Ideas?        (Topic#1564555)
designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

Hi there, everybody.

I'm very, very new to scrapbooking- and already very, very into it- and I am male. So, I'm spending ost of my time looking around shops for stuff without flowers, chubby smily kids, or purse stickers. Not that there's anything wrong with that... ;-). Anybody out there got any ideas to help me - like, any great stuff/embellishments I can check out or supplies? Withut getting further involved with Tim Holtz? LoL.

I do have a Cricut, so I've also been on the lookout for a good cartridge, but not much luck finding anything... ( I have Don Juan, Millionaire, annd Carousel.). Every cartridge I checked out at Michael's seemed to have princess crowns. Or cartoons.

Thank you for any help!

-kory m.k.

veejer
veejer 
Resident
veejer
In response to designguyKORY

I like the Heritage cartridge for the Cricut. It has a lot of old fashioned/classic images as well as vintage truck and car. I know there a few sports cartridges, too. Don't let the pastel like colors on the boxes fool you, just imagin the cutout in your style of colors. I think Paper Loft has some masculine papers.

Veronica

Christine19850
Veteran
Christine19850

I can't offer any advice on cricut cartridges, but I know it can be difficult to find masculine products in this industry.

Graphic 45 have a great range of products that could be used for either feminine or masculine projects - and their papers work well with Tim Hotlz inks/products if you already have some of these.

I guess the other thing to do is use chipboard or other items that you can customise youself (eg. sand, paint, distress etc). Or search your local hardware store for findings to include in your projects.

Good luck!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to Christine19850

Fancy Pants has good masculine papers, but I don't think those particular ones are sold on this site anymore, you may have to find a LSS that has them. 'Rough & Tough', 'Father & Son' are the ones i'm referring to.

Other brands may have only 1 or 2 good guy collections, like Basic Grey 'Vagabond' and 'Granola' lines are more masculine but the rest isn't. K&company has a few good colored packs too.

Sometimes I buy Cloud9 on clearance at JAs. The 'front' sides are full of flowers but the solid colors on the back are awesome.

good luck.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Lamoo12

Wow, thank you everyoe- I've looked at everything mentioned and you've totally hit what I was looking for- thanks!!!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Christine19850

I love this Graphic 45 stuff!!! Thank you!

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook

Check out the Cricut Fathers Day cartridge. It has awesome guy shapes.

Edited by debby_westbrook on 09-21-11 07:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

tegan-nicole
Veteran
tegan-nicole
In response to debby_westbrook

Stampin Up has a line of designer papers called "mocha morning" its all browns, blacks, grays, not too many flowers or swirly pattern. also have a line called "well worn" that I think its the epitome of "masculine" lol. there is also a cricut lite cartridge (walmart) called something like dude or hey dude, it's kind of surfers but I think its more masculine.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to tegan-nicole

I just wanted to say to welcome to the site. I am so glad to see more guys getting into this craft.

Your frustration is right along with a lot of us who scrap masculine pages. Hopefully, the industry will start to recognize the need for more male oriented supplies.

As for cricut....
Other cartridges...Destinations, Father's day seasonal (its has an 1950's convertible etc.) Groovy times (60's theme with peace symbol and John Lennon looking glasses) phrases, Life's a beach, and some Halloween ones with 3d options.
I would shop on-line for carts better deal and more options.

Drop into the Cricut forum, they are a talented bunch and very helpful.

Welcome again and look forward to seeing more of your work.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to jaxxan

Welcome!

rubymillerand
Guru
rubymillerand
In response to RockStar

welcome to SB.com!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to rubymillerand

welcome to sb.com

I have 2 boys, so I'm always looking for more masculine stuff ...

Basic Grey has some good lines
Creative Memories has a line called "Rugged" that might also work for you

and as already mentioned, Graphic 45 and Tim Holtz are awesome

vanessa.S
Resident
vanessa.S
In response to madmatter

Cricut Indie Art Cartridge is absolutely awesome!!It has bombs,skulls,barb wire....Do you have an Archiver's store near you?

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to vanessa.S

Hi Kory, welcome! There are rubber stamps too that are more guy oriented and you can stamp your own papers with cars, animals, tools, skateboards or whatever pushes your buttons. I have done this for my guy with the things he likes for background paper. But I have been a stamping addict for some time. But stamps are an easy to make paper or decorate pages.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to vanessa.S

No, No Archiver's near me. I've never even heard of the store... I wish there was, I have The inventory of Michael's and Hobby Lobby memorized.

I went to a scrap store for the first time last week, and I think I scared the owner. She was totally silent, gave one word answers to anything I asked, and looked petrified. I'm afraid she thought I was casing the joint. However, I don't blame her, it's probably the first time a guy in a huge 4x4 truck pulled up, nearly jumping a parking curb, and he jumped out to run into her store.

-k

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to vanessa.S

Aaaaaaaaa, I gotta find this Indie cartridge today! I've blown a little too much money since last payday, so I hope I don't hafta pay full price. I'm not a patient person.

K

vanessa.S
Resident
vanessa.S

Haha your hilarious!I buy all my cartridges from ebay,,so much cheaper!I'm from Ohio and have an Archivers it's the best.Go to their website they have cool ideas.I too have a hard time finding boy/masculine stuff.Do you like Tim holtz stuff but just have no more choices?Eyelets are great to use and brads have lots of screws,metal buttons and rustic looks.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to vanessa.S

Yeah, I love Tim Holtz's stuff. It's pretty much what got me all the way into scrapbooking. And I've liked rubber stamps since I was a kid.

One thing led to another, and next thing you know, Im jumping parking curbs to run into scrapbooking stores to find a new die for my BigKick!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar

I was in Walmart today for something and saw a short aisle of scrapbooking stuff so I had to take a peek ... they had a Colorbok display of paper pads and at least 3 had masculine patterns.

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to RockStar

Yes, walmart has all kinds of masculine papers, and stickers, they also have a set i bought thats not girly at all (i am doing a masculine layout matter of fact right now) and it was all browns, and dark greens, and blues, they also have set at my walmart that is greys, blacks and whites, they dont really have swirls or flowers they are just kinda nutrual, and have like "distressed" marking on them. also ive seen alot of hunting and fishing stuff at hobby lobby, they also have truck stickers, and layouts talking about (mud, fords, chevys umm anything kinda to do with the out doors. They also have all kinds of sporting papers, and stickers. Hope this helps!!

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics