Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How do you organize your ribbon?        (Topic#1564639)
binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

My next organizing challenge is my ribbon. Right now it is all in a tub mixed together. Some are on spools some are loose. I need organiztion!!!!! I don't have a scraproom but shelves in my son's playroom that everything has to be stored on, so nothing that holds ribbon on the wall or open. Has to go into some type of container. Suggestions????

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to binkiemonstermom

I've seen people wind their ribbon around those old fashioned clothes pins and drop them into a bi jar. It looks really neat and could be secured from your son up on a shelf.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to dwelch

I took a photo organization box (I actually got several of those to organize my supplies in) and cut the tab off the top of the cards included to separate the photos and wrapped the ribbon around those cards, securing with straight pins. It's shocking how many ribbons you can get in that box!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

I use the ribbon ring system and sort by color. For whole rolls on the paper tube holders I take a piece of ribbon and string the holders on that and hang it up. That actually works well because the tubes roll on the ribbon and I can cut off what I need.

My Ribbon By Sunnydi

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Sunnydi

I cut pieces of chipboard 4x3 inches,

I wrap my ribbon around the pieces (2 1.5 inch ribbon fit on each chipboard piece placed long wise) and then wrap an elastic hairband around the piece to secure the ribbon (I don't like pin holes in my ribbon )

then I put them in a plastic shoe box with a lid in ROYGBV order,,,,

I can see what I have in a flash, it cost next to nothing (I hit the dollar store for the box and the hair bands), it's neat and manageable,,,,,,,and it holds a TON of ribbon in a small space. It's a piece of cake when I buy new ribbon to grab another chipboard piece and wrap it around, securing with a hairband and then file it in the correct space in the shoebox.

cmkage
cmkage 
Expert
cmkage
In response to Rosita

That is such a great idea. My ribbons are in chaos as well, but this sounds like a good way to solve the problem.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to CommaHolly

Love those ideas Betsye Rose and Holly. I sure need to do something differnet than what I've got. TFS

PS - I don't like pins or tape either, the elastics are a perfect idea. Very clever of you.

Edited by rockmom on 09-23-11 09:39 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrappindmbfan
Diva
scrappindmbfan
In response to rockmom

I use the box and cards designed for DMC floss. I just wrap the ribbon around the cards and "file" them by color. I can match colors and see exactly what I have.

vanessa.S
Resident
vanessa.S

My craft room is actually shared with the nursery/kids playroom too.I took over their dresser with the book shelf thing on top and I bought a retractable small round curtain rod and connected it to the shelf on the dresser with all my ribbons on it.Before that I had them in a drawer but I made a huge 0 mess everytime I looked threw it!

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to vanessa.S

Loose pieces are sorted by color in little zip baggies. Card ribbons are secured with a plain stick pin. Ribbon rolls are sorted by color and they stand upright. I also secure the loose end on a roll with a stick pin.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to runzalot81

I use the ribbon bag. It works pretty. The key is rolling the ribbon and taking the end from the inside of the roll to pull through the holes int he bag. Stops it from getting tangled.
Products Referenced in This Post:

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser

Organize ribbon?? What is this of which you speak???

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to meezerpleaser

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper

• CommaHolly Said:

I wrap my ribbon around the pieces (2 1.5 inch ribbon fit on each chipboard piece placed long wise) and then wrap an elastic hairband around the piece to secure the ribbon (I don't like pin holes in my ribbon )

I can see what I have in a flash, it cost next to nothing (I hit the dollar store for the box and the hair bands), it's neat and manageable,,,,,,,and it holds a TON of ribbon in a small space. It's a piece of cake when I buy new ribbon to grab another chipboard piece and wrap it around, securing with a hairband and then file it in the correct space in the shoebox.

I do mine EXACTLY the way Holly does! I don't know if that means we are related??? or if we just both had a good idea!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to catzscrapper

• catzscrapper Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:

I do mine EXACTLY the way Holly does! I don't know if that means we are related??? or if we just both had a good idea!

we were separated at birth

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom

I use jars sorted by color(pic below), they are stored on the shelf above my scrapping table to remind me to use the ribbon not just collect it
Products Referenced in This Post:

MammaJamma
Idol
MammaJamma
In response to MisasMom

Mine are like CommaHolly's too except the chipboard is a different size and they fit perfectly into Iris lidded containers (my chipboard is 6 x 9).

I keep an empty Iris container for when I go to crops --I just pull whatever colors I'm going to need from my permanent storage and put them into the travelling container and I'm good to go.

Small scraps used to go in open glass jars on a shelf but I've recently re-done my scrap area so they are in limbo right now. Currently they are in a ziploc baggies by color stowed away in storage bins. I'm still planning to mount some wall shelves in my re-done work area so they may come back out of hiding.

I wish I had a proper scrap room because having things out in the open and VISIBLE is the best for me --I use what I can see. (Would love to do ribbon rings like Sunnydi). But since my scrap area is part of my living room I prefer to keep most supplies out of sight so the room looks (mostly) tidy.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to MammaJamma

Here is my old method
Ribbon storage By CorrieW
I liked this but I needed the drawer for paper and I found the ribbon was really creased (I had to use lots of adhesive to put it down flat). But it was very portable and when going to crops I could just grab the colors I needed.

Here is my new method
Ribbon Storage New By CorrieW

Because I use mostly grosgrain ribbons it doesn't matter if the pin leaves a hold it closes right up after I remove it. Its not as portable for crops because I grab more than one color but I still like it.

I have cats and kids to ribbon rings are out of the question

Edited by CorrieW on 09-24-11 05:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to CorrieW

I have mine wrapped around large craft sticks and then pinned. I organized them in cute little boxes I found in the $1 spot at Target. I have 5 little tubs on top of a shelf so I can see them and get to them easily. I have a bad habit of buying things I already have so I needed to see it all the time. Largers spools of ribbon I have stored in an open basket where they are visible. I have some little scraps that don't fit on a craft stick so I stuck them in a clear jar.

Ms. Mom
Expert
Ms. Mom
In response to Vallee

I have mine in small jewelry bags, sorted by color, and stored in photo boxes. I have six boxes right now cause I have a ribbon "thing" and like Rosita said, the photo boxes hold a lot of ribbon. My photo boxes are stored on a shelf.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics