Username Post: Sew Easy        (Topic#1564681)
Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee

Is there a trick to using the Sew Easy? I bought one some time back and found different stitching heads at HL, but everytime I try to use it I get very FRUSTRATED!!! I also have the mat and the special needle. I have tried textured and plain cardstock and can't seem to make the stitches go thru the paper. Is it supposed to be like that or is it supposed to actually pierce through the paper?? What am I doing wrong?

TFTH!!!

Tenant
In response to Vallee

I have used mine quite a few times. The only time I have heard of people having issues is if they didn't have the mat. But you do, so I am not sure what's wrong. Have you tried your different heads? The only thing I would suggest is standing up to do it. I have had great luck with mine, even on super thick cardstock. Good luck, and sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to meagan82one

I just didn't know if I was doing it right or if I need to press harder? I have tried the head it came with and the zig zag. I will keep trying and hopefully get it right!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Vallee

I have to hold my finger on the head to give it a little more pressure, especially with the larger ones

I didn't buy any of the more intricate patterns though, because I tried a friend's and it was very temperamental

I don't love mine, but I do use it occasionally

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to madmatter

I do love mine, but have discovered you need to press quite hard to pierce through the paper. At first I was a bit cautious, since it is plastic, but I have been able to got through cardstock. You do need to stand and hold your finger on the head. Try it a few times on some leftover paper to get the feel of the pressure you need to give.
Good luck and I hope you will be able to start enjoying it.

vanessa.S
Resident
vanessa.S
In response to Vallee

I am so glad you asked this question,I tried to use mine for the first time the other day,forgetting to use the mat and had the hardest time! I just hated it but now I know why!

Sherry C
Resident
Sherry C
In response to vanessa.S

I practiced on some scrap paper first to get the feel of it. I did have to use a needle to poke through the holes when I had cardstock and paper layered together.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to Sherry C

I did finally get it to poke through last night. I was like most, afraid to apply too much pressure because it is plastic but I was so frustrated that I decided I was getting the hang of the darn thing whether it broke or not. I used it to add embellishment to a pocket on a mini album I'm working on. I did notice that when I went to put thread through the holes that the middle of the hole would come back through so it took me longer than it probably should have but I will keep trying!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Cupcakes for Chloe
Pro
Cupcakes for Chloe
In response to Vallee

I can't get my large banner head to work at all no matter what I try! And plus I noticed that, after the first use, my spike things are not spikes anymore, they mushed down on all the heads I have I am not happy with it!

DaNel Hicks
Diva
DaNel Hicks
In response to Cupcakes for Chloe

I'm hoping the company see's all the complaints about the spikes not lasting and start making them out of metal. Yes, they may be a little more expensive but hey, it will last longer.

I have one but haven't used it yet. I did research and saw all the complaints. To be honest with you if it does nothing but but little notches in my paper I'm ok. It is better than trying to figure out where to put the ruler and trying to keep it straight to pierce holes. If I have to go back and poke holes I at least have a pattern on the paper with little indentions that will take less time than trying to put it down with a ruler or pattern for circles etc.

kellyshoaf
Idol
kellyshoaf
In response to DaNel Hicks

I like the bazzill in stitchz because it's old school and foolproof! You could try that for stitching if the sew easy doesn't work for you!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to kellyshoaf

I have both ... which is funny, because I don't sew on my pages often

but I do find each of them useful at times

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to madmatter

Plastic points? Oh, how cheap! I had looked at the description of this product but never imagined the points would be anything other than metal.

You should try looking into a pounce wheel, used for tracing sewing patterns. Most of them come with flat cogs, but a needle point tracing wheel is available that should work nicely. You can run a straight line or swivel it to curve. If you run a second line next to the first one either next to it or alternating points, you can create different patterns. You would need to place a soft rubber mat (or corrugated cardboard) underneath it. You can get one for about $5 (wooden handle) to $10 (metal handle). They make holes about 1/8" apart, which is pretty close, but the wooden handle ones work just fine and so inexpensive, you can get 2 of them and try breaking off every other point on one of them to make the holes further apart.

Here are some comments from a seller:

------------------------- ------------------------
The Perfect Tool For: Sewing-Paper Arts-Quilling-Pergamano-E mbroidery on Cards

This is an All Metal Needle Point Tracing Wheel. It is great for transfering pattern markings for....darts, pleats, tucks, pockets, or buttonholes.

Also known as a Pounce wheel.

But as every good crafter knows the tools of one trade are often used in another.

The points on this wheel are sharp for penetration of paper or tag board. It is also used to make perforations for gift tags or tear offs. It will mark off perfect perforations for paper pricking, embroidery on cards or just as a decorative edging for other paper elements. The points leave perforations every 1/8 of an inch. The nice thing about this particular wheel is that depending on how much pressure you apply to it the deeper the indentations you can get. It is all metal-steel construction so no worry about wood handles breaking and coming off.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to Solitaire

I tried a tracing wheel before I bought the Sew Easy and it didn't work. The Sew Easy takes practice, I haven't had any problems with the points breaking off or mashing down.

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to scrap4brains

I have one and quite a few heads. So far I haven't had too many problems...but I do need to try to use them more.

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to SandraB.

I was disappointed with this tool too. I bought a inexpensive sewing machine instead. Cost of all the Sew Easy heads, tool and mat was just a little shy of a $80 Singer sewing machine at Wally World.
Now I have the choice to just pierce the paper or to thread my machine and use it with the thread.
Anther one of those tools that I would say is less than adequate. JMO

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics