Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How would you store LOTS of paper?        (Topic#1564779)
NJHeart2Heart
Tenant
NJHeart2Heart

Hi all,
Last week I spent some dedicated time cleaning up and re-organizing my attic scrapbook nook ( see pics and floorplan at http://flic.kr/s/aHsjwhHYoJ ) I'm very proud and excited to get some scrapbooking done before the snow makes the room too cold to work in!

Along with some minor things the only part left is to improve the placement of my 12x12 paper.

I have **14** vertical storage boxes worth of scrapbook paper (and some that just sit between the boxes!), sorted by color, color family, theme and a few brand collections. I LOVE the vertical storage, so I don't want to change that, but I need to change how those containers are placed. Currently they are stored on two heavy duty, deep storage shelves, placed "face forward" (flat side facing me so I file through them front to back and then right to left). The trouble is two-fold: the shelves are STILL bowing, even though they are "heavy-duty-meant-for-gar age-stuff" type of shelving, and though I work with the color and theme sections well enough, I find that I don't use my "color family" paper as much because there are a lot of them and it seems to take a looong time to file through them all to find what I want. The shelves are currently configured as two sets of three shelves. I am considering taking the top shelves off and making three sets of two shelves, re-homing some of my items and then storing my paper sideways, just one paper holder deep, across the three top shelves. The biggest problem with that is it will take up more floor space and it will render the "back side" of those shelves somewhat less useful (though I have "some" less frequently used stuff I can probably store behind my papers). Anyone else successfully storing their large paper collections in vertical boxes? Check out my scrapbook room pics and the floor plan to understand what space I'm talking about.
Thanks!
Dawn in NJ
Products Referenced in This Post:

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to NJHeart2Heart

I have (mumble) vertical storage holders. With the metal shelves that Target has, they go on sale for $29 occasionally. I can't imagine those things bowing if you put a tank on them!

Cardstock is by color family, patterned paper is by manufacturer/collection. I'll be curious what suggestions you get there.

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to Megan - ForumTech

I keep mine in 2 bookcases. They are fairly narrow (probably 24" across each) and 5 shelves high. The wider ones will bow with that much paper. Just pull out the box or pad I think I want and page through.

momma paparazzi
Diva
momma paparazzi

• Megan - ForumTech Said:
I have (mumble) vertical storage holders. With the metal shelves that Target has, they go on sale for $29 occasionally. I can't imagine those things bowing if you put a tank on them!

Cardstock is by color family, patterned paper is by manufacturer/collection. I'll be curious what suggestions you get there.

I store my paper the same way pretty much, in the vertical cropper hoppers. I have mine in the closet which has the metal/wire shelving. I need to go through and purge it again.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to disneylisa

• disneylisa Said:
I keep mine in 2 bookcases. They are fairly narrow (probably 24" across each) and 5 shelves high. The wider ones will bow with that much paper. Just pull out the box or pad I think I want and page through.

Vertical storage here on bookshelf as well

NJHeart2Heart
Tenant
NJHeart2Heart

Thanks all for the information

Megan: Hmm.. Got me totally curious if you BEAT my numbers or not LOL!! I am thinking about going for the wire shelving, and am glad to hear that people have used them without the bowing issue. Of course that means I'll now have 6 shelves to re-home, but I've been eyeing another set for our basement, so maybe now is just the time to do that!

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee

I store it all over the place. I hide some of it. I've got a paper problem and I'm not afraid to admit to it.

but seriously, I rearrange my pp several times of year. UGH I can't find the best way.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech

• NJHeart2Heart Said:
Thanks all for the information

Megan: Hmm.. Got me totally curious if you BEAT my numbers or not LOL!! I am thinking about going for the wire shelving, and am glad to hear that people have used them without the bowing issue. Of course that means I'll now have 6 shelves to re-home, but I've been eyeing another set for our basement, so maybe now is just the time to do that!

Yes. I will not admit by how much.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

• Megan - ForumTech Said:

what was that Megan?

speak up ... I can't hear you

NJHeart2Heart
Tenant
NJHeart2Heart

Megan - LOL!!
Do you remember offhand what your shelving is called (brand/style) and what the dimensions are? I'm doing some research online, and haven't found quite what I'm looking at - at least for the price I'd prefer! There is a cool looking media cart on container store, but it's almost $300!!

Dawn

veejer
veejer 
Resident
veejer

I am in the midst of creating a scrapbook room/space, and I'm using wire shelving from the Container Store. It did cost a small fortune, but I bought it piece by piece not the set. It was easier for me financially, and I did this about 15 years ago! I was using this shelving unit as an entertainment center, but felt it was better used to hold my scrapbook stuff due to its amazing strength and durability. I have my paper in plastic hanging folder boxes purchased at Office Depot. I have stacks in a basket I recently bought at a thrift store.

I don't have "that much" paper....yet so this works for me. I also bought a hanging file cart at a scrapbook garage sale two weeks ago, but I'm not sure what I'm going to use it for. I will post pics once the room is in order.

Juggy
Juggy 
Mayor
Juggy
  • Juggy on 09-27-11 09:00 AM
In response to veejer

I think all paper storage should be done in my craftroom...pm me for my addy!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Juggy

• Juggy Said:
I think all paper storage should be done in my craftroom...pm me for my addy!

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to MrsAnnieS

Mine looks like this:

http://www.target.com/p/Prospace-White-5-Ti er-Shelving-...

But it's taller than the dimensions they give here. It's around 6" tall. I can't remember the brand, but it's their brand - the box has an orange label. TONS of it was on sale around college/dorm purchase time.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper

• NJHeart2Heart Said:
Hi all,
Last week I spent some dedicated time cleaning up and re-organizing my attic scrapbook nook ( see pics and floorplan at http://flic.kr/s/aHsjwhHYoJ ) I'm very proud and excited to get some scrapbooking done before the snow makes the room too cold to work in!

Along with some minor things the only part left is to improve the placement of my 12x12 paper.

I have **14** vertical storage boxes worth of scrapbook paper (and some that just sit between the boxes!), sorted by color, color family, theme and a few brand collections. I LOVE the vertical storage, so I don't want to change that, but I need to change how those containers are placed. Currently they are stored on two heavy duty, deep storage shelves, placed "face forward" (flat side facing me so I file through them front to back and then right to left). The trouble is two-fold: the shelves are STILL bowing, even though they are "heavy-duty-meant-for-gar age-stuff" type of shelving, and though I work with the color and theme sections well enough, I find that I don't use my "color family" paper as much because there are a lot of them and it seems to take a looong time to file through them all to find what I want. The shelves are currently configured as two sets of three shelves. I am considering taking the top shelves off and making three sets of two shelves, re-homing some of my items and then storing my paper sideways, just one paper holder deep, across the three top shelves. The biggest problem with that is it will take up more floor space and it will render the "back side" of those shelves somewhat less useful (though I have "some" less frequently used stuff I can probably store behind my papers). Anyone else successfully storing their large paper collections in vertical boxes? Check out my scrapbook room pics and the floor plan to understand what space I'm talking about.
Thanks!
Dawn in NJ

I think this is what I would do If I was you!
I store mine in 30 gallon see thru totes and put the paper like you have it. But I can take down the appropriate tote and find what I want when I need to. These stack nicely so I can go up about 4 totes or 8 if I want to go to the ceiling but then I can't reach! But this system works for me. The totes are heavy storage ones with a sealing lid to keep out pets and dust. I think they cost about $6-10 when I bought them for moving in 2005. But stared using them and liked them so well, I kept them.

NJHeart2Heart
Tenant
NJHeart2Heart
In response to catzscrapper

thanks for the continued replies and suggestions! I am going on a road trip with a friend to a Container Store on Saturday. I think I'll make the changes to my current shelves tonight and see how that "feels" to me. That will give me a few days to think about what I might want to do if using my current shelves proves not so great...

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

Check Craigslist or thrift stores for shelves or furniture. You usually can find something awesome, for much cheaper. I bought my scrapbook armoire for $75!

My suggestion... don't get another plastic shelf!

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to Bxr-Linda

Amen. My previous shelves were plastic. That did not end well.

Ms. Mom
Expert
Ms. Mom
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Venter25.6 Said:
Check Craigslist or thrift stores for shelves or furniture. You usually can find something awesome, for much cheaper. I bought my scrapbook armoire for $75!

My suggestion... don't get another plastic shelf!

I agree! My paper is stored very similar to yours and if I had more paper I would not use the plastic shelf. I would store it on a wood shelf. Actually, my goal is to have everything wood. I don't even like plastic, but the shelf was only $7 at a yard sale. I can't wait to change mine out too. Happy container huntin'

artist-ju
Resident
artist-ju
In response to Ms. Mom

http://jenniferscreativeo utlet.blogspot.com/2010/08/new...

This is how my paper is stored, there is tons of paper on this thing. Since this post I have added another tier of paper on it

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics