Username Post: This is ridiculous....        (Topic#1564799)
Mary.K 
New Kid On the Block

I am a product of "paralyzed by perfection" syndrome. I can find a million different reasons to keep me from actually putting together a page! My kids are now 15 and 17 and I haven't done a thing, except organize over and over again. I only have a year and a half until the first one graduates from high school, so that is my deadline! My current dilemma is the actual organization of the scrapbook. For each child, I have a folder for each year since birth and then another folder for each grade in school. Being a chronological thinker, it makes sense to me to make two separate books, one school related, and one for everything else, cuz you know school runs Sept-June so it overlaps two calendar years. But I really would like to just have one book. I really like the look of two page layouts so except for special things, like vacations with lots of pics, I am thinking one two-pager per year, or per grade, or... any ideas? I told you this is ridiculous! I need some guidance from all of you seasoned scrapbookers to get me in gear. Thank you!

Juggy
Juggy 
Mayor
Juggy
  • Juggy on 09-27-11 12:13 PM
In response to Mary.K

I would lean towards 2 books
a family book with holidays, trips etc and a school book with school activities/clubs/sports etc

I would also take a few of your "best" pages you fall in love with and use those on tabletop easels as more decoration.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to Juggy

Sounds like you're a little overwhelmed. Try to get a mindset that this will be fun, not a job with a deadline. Get a couple of unimportant pictures and make a few layouts first. Then go back and just do it as a pastime, a hobby that you enjoy. When it gets done, it gets done.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Juggy

Nothing wrong with doing one book. I do yearly chronological books. Mine go June-May instead of Jan-Dec. (I got married in June so each book starts with a pic of us on our anniversary.) You could always do "grade ___" and then lump the family stuff in the appropriate year that way if you want to avoid two books.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to scraprabbit

Don't feel like you have to have it all planned out in order to start. You do not need to know how many albums you will do per year right this minute. IMO, you're looking too far ahead and trying to make choices now that don't necessarily need to be made. Just relax, have fun and try to begin a layout.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Here Kitty

I made scrapbooks for each of my kids when they became Bar/Bat Mitzvah ...

except for the baby pics at the beginning, I didn't do it chronologically, but by theme (pics with sibs, Grandma & Grandpa, a swimming page, a sledding page, a couple of bday pages, vacation pages, and so on)

it was very freeing to not worry about if it was chronological and I think the books came out great

have fun and don't sweat the small stuff

Sherry C
Resident
Sherry C
In response to madmatter

Just flip through your folders and find something that you're dying to scrap and get started! You have to take the first step. Instead of focusing on the album, just scrap and keep your layouts organized as you do them.
One thing that really helped me (because I, too, love to scrap in order) was to switch to d-ring albums because then you can add layouts with ease.
Good luck to you!

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to Sherry C

I tend to have that syndrome as well. I have spent hours trying to plan things out and visualize in my head. I have found that if I just get myself to start something it usually takes off from there, and ends up different then I had been planning. If I get hung up at some point along the way, I put that page aside until the next day and start something else. When I come back I often find things are OK the way they are or I see a fix immediately.

As others have said, have fun, and get started!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Mary.K

Oh my gosh! To me, it sounds like you already have the hard part done - organizing the photos! That's the planning part that drives me nuts. Just jump in and get started, you can always move pages around in the long run.

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 09-28-11 04:36 PM
In response to Mary.K

I admidt I'm never satisfied. My scrapbooks have always been extemly minamilist as a result.

So I now do Digi. If I want to change something or completly redo it before it's printed. I can.

Now my poroblem is finding the time.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Obi

Oh gosh, you are going to overwhelm yourself thinking of the album placement before you do your pages. Pages can take on a life of their own so locking you self in now could really put a wrench in the creative process.

Since your pictures are organized pick a group that you are inspired by and start your page.

Buy yourself a 12x12 plastic case to put your finished layouts in and then you can organize them however you want in your album.. I also recommend a Three ring binder for an album, much easier to move page around if you change your mind.

Happy scrapping!

elizabeth97
Veteran
elizabeth97
In response to jaxxan

I just pick a picture and think what I have to build the page. Certainly don't look for perfection, build the pages purely for fun. Maybe do one page a day or perhaps two days. Again, do it for fun.

SueLovesToScrap
Veteran
SueLovesToScrap
In response to elizabeth97

I agree that you should just find a photo you love and start scrapping - don't overthink the process. Ijust started scrapbooking when my first granddaughter was born and now I go back periodically and look through old photos of my own kids and pull them out a few at a time to scrap. Just have fun with it!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to SueLovesToScrap

I never scrap chronologically. I don't like feeling like I HAVE to scrap this LO next, even though I may have a block on what to do with it. If you use ring binders for scrapbooks, you can always go back and place the LO "in order" after it's done. But free yourself from feeling it has to be done chronologically. You can always see where this takes you, then go back and divide them into albums.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics