Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: For those who make cards....        (Topic#1564827)
Katlady
Veteran
Katlady

Do you buy the basic card and envelope then embellish from there, or do you make your own envelopes and such? I'm just starting to make cards and I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks for your help.

veejer
veejer 
Resident
veejer
In response to Katlady

I started making cards only a few months ago, and I try to use the bought cards with their matching envelopes. I made wedding invitations recently which required me to buy envelopes. Envelopes are readily available online, are fairly inexpensive, and there are so many sizes and colors to choose from.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to veejer

For cards, I buy 8.5 x 11 paper and cut it in half (2 cards per sheet!) and I buy my envelopes online because it is cheaper than M's or any place local that I have found. Since I always make at least 2 of the same card (one for my stash, one for mom's stash), the method of getting 2 card bases from one sheet of 8.5x11 works great. Most of my embellishments are made from scraps left over from scrapbook pages.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Shutterbugg

I have only done a couple of cards, but I had some store bought ones and then embellish but I would love to know the measurements to cut my own.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to binkiemonstermom

I started out with premade cards, now I make my own. I have a bajillion envelopes, but I make my own if the size isn't right. (I love coordinating the envelope with the card - such a nice touch.) Get a MS scoreboard. Get one!

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to kelseymel

Most of the time I use card sets but then there is that one time I want to make a special envelope

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to cescrapper

I'd say 75% of the time I use card blanks, 25% of the time I make my own to fit an envelope I have. I don't make envelopes anymore.

Cindy

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to cindy312

I've just started making cards as well. Thought about making envelopes but think I'm going to just order some.

Another question - what size card to you typically make?

Have to go check into that scoring board, don't like folding by hand.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to pugs223

I usually make my own cards, but the envelopes I buy in bulk at a local paper warehouse, they have a ton of different sizes, colors, papers and weights so I can get whatever I need. Although I will make my own envelopes if I don't have one on hand that works.

And I'd have to agree about the MS scoring board-it is fabulous to have on hand when making cards and envelopes!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to pugs223

I don't make envelopes because I think you can get them cheaply enough through ebay and other sites. Plus, I'm too lazy. LOL

I will make my own card blanks, though. I like to make square cards, so usually I'll cut a piece of 12x12 paper in half and fold it to make a 6" square card.

I have tons of the premade card blanks that I still use for rectangular cards, though. Once those are all gone, I'll probably just make my own.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Katlady

I am always on the lookout for inexpensive blank card & envelope sets. Once you "keep an eye out" for these, you can come across them in the closeout bins in drugstores, office supplies, etc. After making a few envelopes, you will be buying up after christmas card sets just for the envelopes.

PS I should mention there is a size and thickness limit for mailing larger cards. The post office will hit you up for a few extra pennies. It is REAL easy to go over the 6 1/8" limit when you are working with a 12" paper folded. You make a 6" card and the envelope a little bigger and bam you are over the size.

Envelope Size Requirements for Mailing
Letters can have a maximum thickness of 1/4 inch and a maximum size of 11 1/2 inches long by 6 1/8 inch high. The minimum size of a letter is 5 inches long by 3 1/2 inches high, according to the USPS.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Further to that, there's also an additional charge for square mail of any size.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:

A few years ago, I was told on another board that to have 'clear' envelopes costed more too, but when I have mailed them(or vellum) the post office told me same price. So maybe it depends if your PO person knows what they are doing somtimes? I only have one PO lady at the office being in a small town and she is totally helpful all the time!
But you can also decorate envelopes with rubber stamps or ink or acrylic paints. Or decorate the inside with patterned paper scraps so when someone opens your card they get a bonus with beautiful matching colors!. I saw that on Carol Duvall years ago and liked it! Fun and easy!

I also make my own cards and have for years, again fun and easy! And I need to keep up with using my papers and CS so the Man does not think I am hoarding!!

Edited by catzscrapper on 09-28-11 09:02 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

msdixie
Veteran
msdixie
In response to Katlady

michael's has sets of cards and matching envelopes for a dollar - 8 per set, i THINK - and i've gotten those several times. their size, color, and shape vary - fun to have a stash of these. however, i typically use plain ol' cardstock - kraft, white, black - now i'm branching out into using colorful cardstock - with stamping, patterned papers, and all sorts of embellishments (as much or little as you like!). i haven't made my own envelopes, but it looks fun. there are some neat youtube vids regarding doing this, but you can also embellish envelopes. i buy them in the office supply aisle at wal-mart in two sizes - plain white or cream colored - and i stamp them on the front lower-left corner with a little portion of whatever stamp i used for the card, and i also have some martha stewart sticker seals from big lots ($1) which I cut one off when i'm doing a card/envelope and i stamp a portion of my stamp onto the seal and it looks really nice on the back flap.. ties it together nicely. don't use distress inks on the envelope though, since they could run if if it rains on the postal carrier
(i use archival and copics.)
explore some youtube vids tho - users:

starofmay (kristina werner)
jennifermcguire
tresablack (stampgoddess)
prairiepaperink (amy r)
heroarts
lilypadcards
tamiwhite
stamptv (gina k)

JUST to name a FEW:)
kristina werner has a neat tutorial on customizing envelopes with stamps.. some cute ideas.. and there are also some neat tutorials on youtube for creating your own envelopes using a martha stewart (or scor-pal) scoring board - even some videos on making a simple liner to slip inside a premade envelope for an added coordinating touch.
HAVE FUN!

Edited by msdixie on 09-28-11 09:07 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to msdixie

Most of the time I make everything from scratch. I do send most of my cards in padded envelopes since they are dimensional with lots of flowers and emblies

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Sneezy1956

Yep, like Gelidy said, thicker cards, heavier cards, and square cards are more expensive to mail. I don't care. It's what I like to make/send, so that is what I do. One of my cards traditionally costs me anywhere from 80-some cents to about $1.25 to ship. However, if I am doing a large mail-out, like at Christmas, I pay more attention and don't tend to send as many square, big or heavy cards. It costs too much when you figure $1.25 x 50-100 cards!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to catzscrapper

• catzscrapper Said:
  • aquabunny Said:

A few years ago, I was told on another board that to have 'clear' envelopes costed more too, but when I have mailed them(or vellum) the post office told me same price.

Okay, so someone you know gave you incorrect and unsourced information, but I'm not rumor-mongering - square mail is a different matter because there are problems with machining it. The address on a piece of mail is supposed to be perpendicular to the longer dimension, and on a square envelope that's not possible because all dimensions are of equal length. So there's an extra charge because it's not machinable (as is any mail where the address is not parallel to the longer dimension, and other various weird types of mail).

Sources:
- "The Postal Service charges extra postage because mailpieces that are rigid, square, or unusually shaped, often jam postal equipment and are difficult to process." from http://pe.usps.com/businessmail101/mailc haracteristics/...
- Section 1.1.1.d and section 3.7 of http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/201.htm (regarding aspect ratio of the mailpiece as it relates to standards of machinability )
- my own experience with mailing my square wedding invitations

ang_geo
Resident
ang_geo
In response to aquabunny

i waste to much paper making my own... i buy than decorate

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to ang_geo

Aquabunny is certainly correct, it does cost more to mail a square envelope. I posted this in another thread a while ago --

For every size and shape of mail or package, there is a minimum and maximum size. See the charts below to ensure your mail meets the United States Postal Service measurement standards and limits.

Standard Shape and Size Guidelines
Letters:
• Maximum thickness is 1/4”
• Minimum size is 5” long X 3 1/2” high
• Maximum size is 11 1/2" long X 6 1/8" high
Postcard:
• Maximum size is 6” long X 4 1/4” high
• Minimum size is 5” long X 3 1/2” high
Large Envelopes:
• Maximum thickness is 3/4”
• Minimum size is 11 1/2" long X 6 1/8" high
• Maximum size is 15" long X 12" high
Parcel Post package:
• Maximum size is length + width around largest point = 130”
Other package services:
• Maximum size is length + width around largest point = 108”

Unusual Shapes and Sizes Guidelines
Once a piece of mail exceeds the maximum length, height or thickness of one shape, it automatically gets classified as the next largest shape. In addition, a piece of mail requires more postage when it is a certain shape or size that is difficult to process on mail sorting machines.

The examples below could require additional postage:
• Square envelopes.
• Packages larger than 34 inches long, 17 inches wide or 17 inches high.
• Envelopes on which the address is written parallel to the shorter edge.
• Packages weighing more than 35 pounds.
• Books or printed material weighing more than 25 pounds.
• Tubes and rolls.

http://www.usps.com/send/preparemailandpa ckages/measuri...

HTH

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to Katlady

I buy the white and cream cards and envelopes in two sizes and them cover and embellish from there. Haven't done a colored card yet, but I'm thinking that this Christmas I ought to have some. Hmmmm.... I've got a Cricut cart that does that.... Hmmmmmmmmm....

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics