Username Post: Welcome to the Puppies and Rainbow thread....        (Topic#1565201)
950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to pugs223

Peg, I forgot about the cucumber gods, you are right. How many jars do you have to buy, or do people just give the old ones back? My neighbot gave me one mondo giant zucchini and it made 5 loaves of bread.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to 950nancy

95% of the jars are among family members. I only had to buy some pint jars this year. The jars I have are ones my parents used, bought at rummage sales or from aunts that used to can.

My mom bought a few dozen from someone at work and there were old glass mayo and other non brand jars. Those will be used next year for any that are given to non-family. Since the pickles aren't put in the pressure cooker, any glass jar will do.

MeganJo
Guru
MeganJo
In response to pugs223

Non Vent: I went to last Sundays colts game AND i get to go to today's colts game.I wont tickets from the liquor store on twitter.So exicted. I made a shirt for this weeks game. It's black and in silver glitter spray it says Colts on the front. On the back at the top it says Overton(for Matt Overton,hes the long snapper for them)and has 45 (overtons number).He's my favorite player. He remembered me last month when we we to camp and the first time I went was the 5th and last time was the 17th.so it had been awhile since he had seen me

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to MeganJo

Megan, my good friend is a Bronco groupie. She embarrasses me to death! She quotes all of the players' statistics back to them. I wonder what they think of her.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
95% of the jars are among family members. I only had to buy some pint jars this year. The jars I have are ones my parents used, bought at rummage sales or from aunts that used to can.

My mom bought a few dozen from someone at work and there were old glass mayo and other non brand jars. Those will be used next year for any that are given to non-family. Since the pickles aren't put in the pressure cooker, any glass jar will do.

I love the old canning jars and mason jars for hodling scrappy things and pens

******** now I want a pickle

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Just G

A friend of mine gave me about a dozen cucumbers from her garden. Yum! I didn't pickle any, but I've just been chopping them up and eating them for snacks.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to pugs223

Liz: Good job keeping up with alll that school work. I can't even think about xmas shopping yet. I have to get past Ky's bday in October first.

Teresa: How many times a week do you have to visit the home care cases?

Peg: how does one make laundry detergent. Which reminds me...i need to go put my stuff in the dryer :/

to Jane, Nancy, Liz, Mel, Manda, Kim and the other liz!

Sarah: Yea for date night!!!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Just G

Christmas shopping?? Noooooooooooooooo!!

DH and I have to totally rethink Christmas this year. We have a budget and I want to find a better way to spend money. I work hard to get the (adult) kids stuff that they want, but the apprecition factor just isn't there. I'm thinking checks or cash are in order, but that seems so non-festive. And impersonal.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Luvmyfam

Jen- you should draw names and then set a cost limit. We did that since there are 4 kids and their spouses and my parents to buy for. We set a $40 limit. It was nice only having to buy for one person (or 2 per family). We buy for all the grand kids/nieces/nephews. This year, I think we're going to just buy for the littles since no one really has any extra cash laying around. Since you don't have any littles, maybe just a name draw?

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to Seaexplore

I'm buying each of the girls a Vera Bradley Wristlet for Christmas and then we're going to add a gift card into each one. Micayla is getting a id case because she doesn't need the wristlet to hold any phones at Disney next year.

Today they are on sale in the online outlet for 50% off. So I figured now was a good time to buy them.

Now my 1 niece won't carry anything girly so I'm getting her a red (Her favorite color) wallet with a chain or something so she doesn't lose it at Disney.

13 of us going so far.

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to foltzy

Oh and October is heavy on Birthdays for me. My mom's, Brian's dad's (Though he passed away 4 years ago but we still wish him a happy birthday), Brian's, and Mine. My mom and his dad's birthdays are 1 day apart and Brian's and My birthday are 5 days apart.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
Christmas shopping?? Noooooooooooooooo!!

DH and I have to totally rethink Christmas this year. We have a budget and I want to find a better way to spend money. I work hard to get the (adult) kids stuff that they want, but the apprecition factor just isn't there. I'm thinking checks or cash are in order, but that seems so non-festive. And impersonal.

My neighbor has grown children. She wrapped boxes of food with money taped to them. She had to have gifts under the tree.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to 950nancy

Tiff, we draw names for the extended family. That does work well. I'm not ready to do that for our 5, though.

Nancy.....yes. I get that Wow....maybe I can go buy silly stuff from the dollar store, and tape money to the gift (or put it inside). That might make the gift giving part fun.

MeganJo
Guru
MeganJo
In response to Luvmyfam

Nancy- I couldn't imagine quoting stats back to the players lol..I went up close to the field during practice by where the Colts players run from the locker room and the field.They usually sign stuff before they go back in. The guy I made the shirt for has a twitter(so do i)so I sent him a picture of it front and back. And he looked over at where we were and pointed at me lol. Then he ran over and started signing stuff a couple people down from my dad and me.Then he said hey nice shirt I seen it last night.Thanks for the support I love it.Then he waved to my dad and said hey whats up.I think its cool he remembered from last weeks game and training camp august 5th and 17th. I usually try to get a picture with him every time by didn't last night.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to MeganJo

Did someone say Christmas? Not yet!!!!

We used to exchange names in the family (parents, brothers, in-laws) and spend about $35-40 on a gift.

Last year we decided to get $25 gift cards and do a white elephant exchange. It was really fun, although I do kind of miss shopping for a particular person.

We only buy for our godchildren but then nieces/nephews exhange names. That's fun now that they are getting a little older.

I should really start throwing things in a box for the white elephant exchange...

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to MeganJo

• MeganJo Said:
Non Vent: I went to last Sundays colts game AND i get to go to today's colts game.I wont tickets from the liquor store on twitter.So exicted. I made a shirt for this weeks game. It's black and in silver glitter spray it says Colts on the front. On the back at the top it says Overton(for Matt Overton,hes the long snapper for them)and has 45 (overtons number).He's my favorite player. He remembered me last month when we we to camp and the first time I went was the 5th and last time was the 17th.so it had been awhile since he had seen me

Maybe he recognizes your name from the restraining order he took out!

Kidding, sounds like fun!

Als_Gal
Guru
Als_Gal
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
Tiff, we draw names for the extended family. That does work well. I'm not ready to do that for our 5, though.

Nancy.....yes. I get that Wow....maybe I can go buy silly stuff from the dollar store, and tape money to the gift (or put it inside). That might make the gift giving part fun.

Ok what we do with the older kids is we give them a letter that says a donation has been made in their honor at such and such a place plus we also give them a gift card or 2 and some cash depending on what they asked for.

This year I am hosting a Holiday Extravaganza for my non profit and when the kids heard this they each said instead of giving us gifts will you let us buy gifts for the kids. So this year they are going to take the money they saved to get family members presents and buy gifts for the kids from the shelter. Then they will write a letter to the family member they were going to buy a gift for and let them know where there gift went they are going to also include a picture of the kids they helped.

I am so excited that they decided to do this on their own Makes me a proud mama

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Als_Gal

Kim, you should be proud, that's awesome!

What is your nonprofit called?

Can anyone help/donate? Like the Salvation Army adopt-a-kid program, can you pick a child or family to help?

I'd love a link to a website or FB link.... My DSS needs to start on a senior project centering on volunteering or a non profit org. It would be awesome to help someone you actually know.....

Als_Gal
Guru
Als_Gal
In response to ScrappyMama6

• ScrappyMama6 Said:
Kim, you should be proud, that's awesome!

What is your nonprofit called?

Can anyone help/donate? Like the Salvation Army adopt-a-kid program, can you pick a child or family to help?

I'd love a link to a website or FB link.... My DSS needs to start on a senior project centering on volunteering or a non profit org. It would be awesome to help someone you actually know.....

We are called Loving Hearts Foundation and are in the process of getting our 501c3. I am in the process of getting our FB page up and running it should be tonite and when it is up I will send it to you!

Anyone can adopt a family or donate to help families in need.

The 1st week of November is when we will ask for wish lists from the families and the 2nd week we will begin to match them with the people who wish to adopt them.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Als_Gal

My dad never wanted us to buy him gifts. We always bought coats or other needed items for needy kiddos. Makes you appreciate what you have.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics