Username Post: Welcome to the Puppies and Rainbow thread....        (Topic#1565201)
angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to scraprabbit

Did u let the doc know it got that high? That's too high.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to angie girl

Sarah, please watch him carefully and if the fever gets up that high again, please take him to the ER. That's worrisome.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

• scraprabbit Said:
Nancy - that is terrifying!!! I'm so glad he'll be ok.

G - sounds like a great job so far!

My Nate is sick...again!! Fever went up to 105 yesterday. He had a regular checkup yesterday (fever was 99 then) and they couldn't find anything wrong - no ear infection, strep, whatever. 105 is scary high, though!! It happened an hour after we got home from the doc's. (The Advil had just worn off from before.) Poor kid. Advil seems to be keeping up with it if I remember to give it to him on time, but he feels horrible.

He needs to see a doc! He could go into febrile seizures...keep the alternating tylenol/advil and ice! 104 + requires ER

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Just G

Yeah, I called the doc right away when it happened and talked to the nurse. She said to alternate the tylenol/advil and a tepid bath and call back if it didn't take it down. It did take it down in 30-40 minutes, but if we let the medicine lapse it goes back up (not that high though). I didn't wake him in the middle of the night last night to give him another dose, and he was at 103 this morning. The advil took it down again, but he's had a fever since Saturday (low-grade then), and it went up to 103 Sunday evening. They said if the higher fever (like 102-103) didn't stop in 2-3 days to call back, so I'm going to see how he is in the morning and call back if I need to.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Poor Nate. Sarah, having raised a child who had febrile seizures, do not let a dose lapse if it can be helped. I know waking them for a dose can be dicey, though. Just waking my youngest would cause his temp to soar, so I often ended up sitting next to him, monitoring his temp, while he slept.

G, what would ice be for? My doc said to avoid anything too cold, especially a cold bath, because it could trigger a seizure. Tepid baths were the way to go, plus I had to pour the water directly over DS's head.

I have one more store-stop to make, presents to wrap, 2 trees to put up, and one stop at the grocery store. Almost there.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Luvmyfam

We did decide to wake him up last night to give him more Advil so it wouldn't lapse overnight. He felt cool at the time, and it must've helped him sleep better because he's sleeping in a little this morning. It's been 6.5 hours now since he got the Advil, so we'll see what happens when he wakes up.

I've also heard not to do anything really cold - just a lukewarm bath - for fevers. He was good in the bath yesterday, until dh poured water on his shoulder. Then he screamed and screamed, so we took him out.

It's just weird, since he doesn't have much for other symptoms. He's had a cold for over a week now, but no bad cough or running nose or anything. Just some stuffiness. I wonder if it's a sinus infection or something though. Since he can't tell me if his sinuses hurt, it'd be hard to diagnose (and I'm super-prone to them). He's a little more tired, less hungry, and cranky if the fever gets to 103, but otherwise he's not acting a ton different. He doesn't have any of the "big bad warning signs" that I've been reading about for kids with high fevers. He plays, and drinks, and runs around the house getting into everything like normal.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

8.5 hours past Advil and we're down to 98.4!!! It hasn't gotten much below 100 even with med's, so this could be looking good!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Sarah - poor Nate. I hope he feels better soon. The only other thing I can think of is if he develops a rash when the fever breaks, it's the roseola virus. DS had it when he was about that age....he had a bad fever for a few days and then broke out in a rash.

G - glad the new job is going well. Sounds like my kind of place.

Nancy - how scary about the accident. Hope DS is doing well.

I have way too much shopping and prep left to do for Christmas and a major blizzard is heading this way starting at midnight and lasting 24 hours. 12-18 inches of snow. Oh well, guess I will have a busy weekend.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to pugs223

Peg - thanks. Another friend of mine mentioned the possibility of roseola too, so I've been on the lookout for a rash. Stay safe in the blizzard!! Can you take care of any of the errands/shopping before it hits?

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

Temp has been under 100 (mostly under 99) all day with NO med's!! And he was in a good mood all day today. Now to get his appetite and sleep schedule back on track...

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

about high fever being gone.

My new furniture came today - yay!

They brought the wrong piece of the sectional - boo

School is already called off for tomorrow even though the blizzard hasn't started yet so no work for me either since i have to stay home with DS - double yay!!!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to pugs223

We just had blowing snow on the roads. It didn't stick and just liked like something out a movie. It was pretty cold. I think we had a high of 6 degrees. I don't get why parents keep their kids home from school. It was cold outside. We have school inside.

Two more days of work before we are out for break.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to 950nancy

People keep their kids out of school because of the cold? Never heard of that one. I get driving the kids to school instead of having them out at the bus stop, but not even going to school? The governor cancelled school one day because of the cold here though (many years ago). But it was like -30F with a windchill of -50 or -60 or something truly hideous.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

• scraprabbit Said:
8.5 hours past Advil and we're down to 98.4!!! It hasn't gotten much below 100 even with med's, so this could be looking good!

AWESOME

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:

G, what would ice be for? My doc said to avoid anything too cold, especially a cold bath, because it could trigger a seizure. Tepid baths were the way to go, plus I had to pour the water directly over DS's head.

When ky had pneumonia the doc told us to put ice packs behind her neck and knees when the fever hit 103+ Something about pulse points and the coolness....or a very lukewarm bath that was lower than her body temperature. Nothing shockingly cold because of seizure risk

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

Sarah, when I grew up in Omaha, we walked every day and my mom was a SAHM. She said it was good for us. Only if it was pouring rain did we get a ride to school. Some parents here do not want their kids outside for recess if it is below 32 degrees. Honestly. Kids need a quick break out of the classroom. Sitting for 4 hours at a time is too much. The teachers go out with them. I want to go out most days.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
Sarah - poor Nate. I hope he feels better soon. The only other thing I can think of is if he develops a rash when the fever breaks, it's the roseola virus. DS had it when he was about that age....he had a bad fever for a few days and then broke out in a rash.

G - glad the new job is going well. Sounds like my kind of place.

Love the job. Still not doing things on my own and won't until after the new year but it helps to sit with someone and just watch to see all that she's doing.

GOOD NEWS: Been there 2 days and I'm already getting a bonus!! The company is giving everyone $.21/share for what they are shareholders of as an additional xmas bonus...and for us knew employees we get a auto pay bonus of 1000 shares (Even if we don't own any) so I get a $210 bonus! That helps pay off the xmas bills for Kyleigh.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Just G

Yay for Nate's fever coming down!!

I have never experienced a snow day in my life. I got to go home early, once, because a water main broke and flooded one of our hallways. Woot.

G, yahoo on the bonus right away. That's pretty awesome.

Peg, enjoy your day off with DS.

I'm ready for a day off, but have to wait a couple of days. DH is already off......for the rest of the year. I may or may not be jealous.

G, I would think that an icepack would be considered shockingly cold. I know that I can't stand how cold they are. I'm terrible about using them when I should. I'm a cold weenie, though,

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Luvmyfam

Tomorrow is my last day of work until next year. And its going to be a day of good food and spirited beverages at the office, then going to my client's in the afternoon for their Christmas party. Obviously I will only have one spirited beverage in the morning and then be done so I can drive.

I should be getting some stuff done around the house right now but I'm being lazy. Must.Find.Motivation.

Diva
In response to pugs223

Me too. The university closed tomorrow Friday and we are not back until January 2nd. Such a nice break!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics