Username Post: Welcome to the Puppies and Rainbow thread....        (Topic#1565201)
corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to scraprabbit

Cute pics Cassie.

Glad the job is going well Peg. But cafeteria ?!?!?!

I haven't been to one since 2001 and plan on finishing my career by not going back to the cafeteria.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to corrie fan

I love cuteness bombs!!

DH's company has it's own cafeteria. The food is cheap and excellent. My second job had a cafeteria. It was expensive and made me terribly sick once.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to Luvmyfam

I think my best cafeteria experiences have been fair to midland so just not worth it.

What made me quit the cafeteria is that my dad was in palliative care from Jan - early July 2001. So I ate in the cafeteria since I visited him most nights (may have missed 10-15 days in all that time). So I ate out a lot.

After he passed away, I kept eating at the caf and buying my coffee.

So my new year's resolution in 2002 was to not buy coffee, snacks or lunches in the caf. And I have kept that up. I did buy a roll of Tums once and a tea for a co-worker who had paid for my beverage when I was over at her building.

We still go out from time to time and if stuck, there is a grocery store across the street from work. But those places aren't the cafeteria

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

I'm doing the same....trying to stop eating out, cooking at home, bringing lunches from home, no more starbucks and drinking the free coffee at work (trying to cut out caffeine all together though), and using everything in my pantry/fridge before food shopping again.

Oh and coupons...lots and lots of coupons.

I just bought a black photo box that I'm altering and making into a coupon holder.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Just G

Well the cafeteria is new to me and I am enjoying it :D. I love salads but don't like buying and packing all of the good fixings so that has been good. Considering the carp and calories I used to eat when we'd go out at the last place...and we went out almost daily, I will continue to enjoy it for a while.

Week one is complete and in the books as a success. I didn't get email until Wed, have a loaner laptop, have no access to the applicant system and I still managed to get 7 people scheduled with managers for interviews.

I joked they are doing it on purpose to test my flexibility and adaptability. Love the staff so far too.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to pugs223

Glad you had a good week Peg.

It most definitely is a lot more work to pack tons of containers. I have a drain tray full of them all the time.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

I keep a bunch of microwave dinners in the freezer at work. I bring my lunch about half the time (leftovers usually), but then I have something there that's fairly healthy if I forget or just don't feel like packing something up. And in my desk I have crackers, fruit snacks, snack packs of things, rice crispie bars, and granola bars. And in my own dorm fridge in my office I have OJ, water, V-8 and fruit.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan

No fridges allowed in our cubicles and there are only 2 fridges for about 90 people. They are NASTY so I do not use them. I have an insulated lunch bag and add freezer packs.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Yay for a great first week, Peg! If I had a cafeteria like my DH's, I would eat there every day.

I fix and bring my lunch/snacks to work daily. Yesterday I brought leftover salad, so my morning food prep time was almost nil. I actually got to work 15 minutes early!

Our work fridges are nasty, so I also use my own insulated lunch bag. I don't drink coffee, but the owners spoil the coffee drinkers with Starbucks, Peets and some other name-brand coffee grounds.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Luvmyfam

Yeah, I'm lucky to have my own office so I can have my own fridge. The work fridge is NASTY too. The freezer there isn't bad though, so I don't mind keeping stuff in there.

I have a feeling I'll be home on Monday. We're in a blizzard warning from tomorrow until Monday noon. Yippee. At least we're not getting hammered like the NE, but that still means I have to run around and try to find subs for the 5 classes I have on Monday. I already found a sub for one and the rest I'm just an "assistant" in, so it's not like the class will get canceled if I can't find someone. But those classes are all giving a test on Monday, so I'm sure they'd love another body in there to help proctor with the 100 students.

babigirl
Governor
babigirl
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
G, LOL on why you chose the Ravens. But....have you seen Kaepernick with his shirt off? Just sayin'

Cassie, hello!

Shatema, it's a two-edged sword. I love working for my company when it's busy, but it also amps up the anxiety level because being too busy makes it very difficult to meet the rigid deadlines.

I understand now makes sense

babigirl
Governor
babigirl

• scraprabbit Said:
Wow, long day at work yesterday. I'm not going to complain though. I covered three extra classes (and all the issues that happened with those students) because my coworker's mom died - yesterday morning - while he was at work. It was expected soon, but it was still kind of sudden. He got a call in the morning that she didn't have much time left and to come home. He then talked to a couple people about making arrangements for his classes to be covered (we're not allowed to cancel our classes) and while he was in the hallway talking to some people about it he got a call back that she had died. Very sad. His dad died last year too. I want to say she was around 90? 80s at least - she has two great-grandchildren that have both just turned 1. She had terminal cancer for a long time now. Such a sad deal though.

I agree this is very sad

babigirl
Governor
babigirl
In response to Just G

• Just G Said:
  • babigirl Said:
Glenda I know all about late nights because my daugther has alot of late nights very late nights

she's 9 and this seems out of character for her though....

turns out she's been getting 'goosebumps' books and 'mystery' books from teh library...aka scary stories. i am making her take them back LOL

Lol yeah that will do it. I still don't know what my daugthers problem is she is only three. I think she is just scared shes going to miss something.

babigirl
Governor
babigirl
In response to pugs223

Peg glad you are liking your new job.

Cassie cute pictures

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to babigirl

• babigirl Said:
  • Just G Said:
  • babigirl Said:
Glenda I know all about late nights because my daugther has alot of late nights very late nights

she's 9 and this seems out of character for her though....

turns out she's been getting 'goosebumps' books and 'mystery' books from teh library...aka scary stories. i am making her take them back LOL

Lol yeah that will do it. I still don't know what my daugthers problem is she is only three. I think she is just scared shes going to miss something.

My dh was apparently like that when he was little, and still is to some extent. He's always fought going to bed because he was afraid he'd miss out on something.

Today I emptied a closet in the living room and have started moving my scrap stuff from the big guest room into the closet. Boo. I will miss having a table set up that I can keep in-progress stuff on. This new baby better be worth it.

babigirl
Governor
babigirl

I try to bring my lunch but sometimes we only get a 30 minutes break and it start when u walk out the door and you have to be back at 30 minutes. It takes 5-10 minutes to get out of the compound the same to get back to post so when we only have 30 minute breaks no time to go up front and eat

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to babigirl

So I had to go to the store to get stuff for DH and DS to pack for lunch. You will be proud that I bought some containers, salad dish and thermos for me to start packing my own lunch. I will still visit the cafeteria sometimes but I can save a lot of money by bringing my own.

This job is already saving me money by not being so close to HL, As, Ms, Js, BLs and TMs. I may as well save a little more by packing my own lunch.

Cassie - Kirk is adorable! I remember DS having having nightmares/ night terrors. It happened more frequently when he was over tired. Good luck, hope it gets better.

I should go scrap right now. I bought myself a pen holder for work - was thinking about busting out the washi tape to personalize it a little.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to pugs223

Night terrors are awful. Nate gets those when he gets sick and sometimes if he gets really overtired. They're scary. He was uncontrollably shaking one of the times. He got them more frequently as a baby. I know you're not supposed to wake them from them, but sometimes we'd bring him outside and walk down the block and back and the fresh air would wake him up and then he could go back to bed.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to pugs223

Wow Peg, that is impressive. But do enjoy your caf from time to time. Our sucked for the price so it made it easy for me to quit. And when we moved to a new building, the caf was managed by another company and does not seem that much better. But a sandwich with either a handful of chips or some baby carrots costs about $5 before our 13% tax and add a drink and a piece of fruit to that... and it is just a sandwich. Hot meals about $8 before taxes.

I do keep a stash in my cabinet.

Almonds, plain oatmeal packages, raisins, unsweetened applesauce, cans of reduced sodium V8, ready to eat cans of soup (chicken noodle or rice, vegetable). I can't leave fresh fruit as it may perish, I stay away from granola bars (most are essentially as good as candy bars and I have to be sure that my blood sugar does not spike so I just don't keep those treats - same goes with crackers. If I can't have some good source of protein to accompany them, I don't have them).

NOt great food but if I forget something, I have a bit to eat or if I have to stay much later, I can have a bite and not risk my blood sugar drop.

babigirl
Governor
babigirl

Sarah night terros do sound awerful

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics