Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Card Makers        (Topic#1565233)
Lal
Lal 
Diva
Lal
  • Lal on 10-05-11 07:25 PM

I've been scrapbooking for about 17 years now and have made cards here and there every now and then, but I've just recently gotten hooked and started making more cards and building up my stash of sentiments stamps. So two questions for my fellow card makers, where do you get inspiration for your cards...blogs, You Tube vids, galleries, ect...I love watching starofmay's card making vids on You Tube. Any others I might want to check out? Secondly, which sentiment stamps do you like/love or think are a must? I have a about 5 Hero Arts ones that I just love because they have a wide variety of sayings and fonts. And I just got my first set of Paper Smooches stamps that I just ADORE! LOVE the font! I need to take pics of all the cards I've made recently and post them in my gallery. I get so lazy about taking pics and posting Thanks in advance for the help

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Lal

I have a whole container of sentiment stamps and still feel like I don't have enough. I have a bunch of friends who buy digi sentiment stamps that they just print out, but I prefer to have the actual stamp in hand. Whiff of Joy has cute circular sentiments. Technique Tuesday has some good sentiment stamps, too. I will check my stash for you when I get home from work and see if I can figure out some good sets for you and who makes them.

I get my card inspiration from blogs more than anything else, as well as the gallery here and at Splitcoast stampers. I'm not a big fan of videos, so I can't recommend any of them. There's a bunch of card challenge blogs, too, like Guylou's Inimitability, Mojo Monday, the Sweet Stop, Sweet Sketch Wednesday, Sweet Pea Stampers, etc. You can also join groups like CDAC and The Outlaws, which have challenges each day of the week. PM me if you want exact addresses.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to siameseplease

I do a lot of copic colored cards and I get my inspirations everywhere even in nature.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Lal

My favorite favorite FAVORITE sentiment stamps are JustRite,,,,

they have nested sentiments that all fit inside their nested frames,,,,,,the font is absolutely GORGEOUS.

I am also in love with their "Happy Everything" tag making kit,,,,,

it comes with 18 mini sentiments and spellbinders tag dies and a mini stamper.

I also love to make sentiments on my computer, i f I do not have a sentiment that is appropriate. I've found the font and size that fits right inside my mini sentiment tag dies too, so that really helps,,,,

The only thing that's a pain is that they don't fit on regular blocks,,,,,you have to buy their special block for them,,,,it's not that big of a deal,,,,,,I just love their sentiments and fonts.

Here's one of their mini sentiments using the tag making kit,,,,,

On Your Special day By CommaHolly

Here's one I made a sentiment on the computer and used the tags to make tags,,,,,

Congrats on College! By CommaHolly

and here;s one of their nested sentiments, though I chose not to "nest" it in the borders,,,,

The Beuaty of Fall By CommaHolly

they also have round stamps (needs another stamper LOL) and I think they're adorabble,,,,,,,

the borders change on most of them, so you can have interchangeable borders,,,,,,

Dear Santa,,,,,,I can explain! By CommaHolly

AND I think all their nested sentiments are 10 bucks or less through the end of the year.

Just to enable LOL.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to CommaHolly

I get the majority of my inspiration from blogs. LOVE them!

As for sentiment stamps, I really recommend the Papertrey Ink set "Mega Mixed Messages" because it has all sorts of sentiments for tons of occasions. It's really useful! They also have many other sets that have great sentiments, but that one is my favorite.

I also like the Hero Arts clear sets.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Lal
Lal 
Diva
Lal
  • Lal on 10-06-11 08:38 AM
In response to Here Kitty

Thank you for all the replies! I've got some blogs I can check out now
And Holly, your cards are lovely!
Here Kitty, I have some of those Hero Arts ones and I just LOVE them! I'm going to check out the ones you mentioned...thanks!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Lal

Oh, I forgot to mention my favorite FAVORITE blog,,,,,

www.amazingpapergrace.com in case you don't know about it already,,,,,

her stuff makes me drool.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

My fave sentiments are Close to My Heart they have some Christmas that are just wonderful.

Lora
Lora 
Tenant
Lora
  • Lora on 10-06-11 10:29 AM
In response to Sneezy1956

I have never made a card but would like to try my hand at it. I only send a few Christmas cards and would really like to try and make them this year. I'll be checking out the blogs as well. Thanks for sharing!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Lora

If you start making cards, you'll be forced to start sending them to everyone you know

trust me,,,,,,,I know

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

Oh yes, cards are like crack. You won't stop at "just a few".

Lora
Lora 
Tenant
Lora
  • Lora on 10-06-11 12:51 PM
In response to kelseymel

Thanks for the warning! I have heard that before and I know that it didn't take much for me to become addicted to scrapbooking so I can only imagine what it would be like with cards. Maybe I'll wait awhile. LOL I've waited this long.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Lora

Yes, Lora, but cards are the PERFECT way to use up your scraps left over from a layout!!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to siameseplease

but if you're like me, you'll like cards so much you'll actually CUT a brand new 12x12 piece of paper to make one!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

• CommaHolly Said:
but if you're like me, you'll like cards so much you'll actually CUT a brand new 12x12 piece of paper to make one!

Which is why you learn to buy lots and lots of 6 x 6 pads and then use the on your layouts hehehehehe

Lal
Lal 
Diva
Lal
  • Lal on 10-07-11 12:03 PM

• CommaHolly Said:

Yep! That's what I've been doing! I need to take pics of my cards to post. I'm just being lazy! lol

rsmobley85
Resident
rsmobley85
In response to Lal

I make more cards then I do layouts. I usually design a cutter file or I use spell binders, sew on them. For the image is either a paper piecing file or a stamped image that I heat emboss then water color with Tombow markers.

For the sentiment. I usually pull out my Stamp catalog system and look at all my sentiments. And go grab the one I want. Im addicted to Inkadinkado clear sets so that is usually what I grab or my See D's Stamps. I also heat emboss those. It just looks so nice being heat embossed.

Sharon

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to rsmobley85

I love the Mojo Monday and Cardabilities blogs for sketches. I also get a lot of inspiration from Split Coast Stampers.

Hero Arts has great sentiments sets. I also have some that I love from Fiskars and Cloud 9 Design. I prefer clear stamps for sentiments. And I have TONS of digital sentiments.

SarahWscraps
Veteran
SarahWscraps
In response to rsmobley85

A couple of good videos to watch on youtube for cardmaking are cardcrazy09, mary is awesome she also has a blog at cardstv.blogspot.com and she just started making her own stamps. Her sentiments usuaaly include play on words. Chris416ward also makes great cardmaking tutorial videos, her style is similar to starofmay. PrairiePaperandInk is another youtuber I recently found and I think she makes some awesome cards. Hope you find some great inspiration and enjoy your new love for cards!

Lal
Lal 
Diva
Lal
  • Lal on 10-10-11 06:57 AM
In response to SarahWscraps

Thank you, Sarah

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics