Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Distressing Tools        (Topic#1565413)
Sassy Suzi
Diva
Sassy Suzi

I have seen the new and older distressing tool that looks like a small Dremel tool. Has anyone used a Demel to distressed with or do you have the new ones that look like it? I would like your opinions on them. If it works okay I made have to go to the garage and pull mine out of hiding. Thanks!

veejer
veejer 
Resident
veejer
In response to Sassy Suzi

I'm a little frightened of something like that until I've seen it used quite a bit. I fear that I will tear up my project too much. I like the Heart Attack.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to veejer

I use a good old fashioned sanding block! I did ask DH for a zutter distresser for Xmas.

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia
In response to Vallee

I use this one! It´s small and handy and don´t need a lot of storge space!
Products Referenced in This Post:

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to StrawberryPia

• StrawberryPia Said:

I have this one too ... small, cheap, easy, and effective

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to madmatter

I've found that the different tools for distressing have different effects and they all have their uses. I have the Holtz one and a Zutter Distress-It-All and the Bazzill set. If I could only have one, it'd be the Bazzill tool set, it's the most versatile - it's really a set of files with a handle.

I don't like anything with batteries but the Chizzel It is especially worthless.

And yes, I tried a Dremel and it didn't work very well for me - too much power for paper.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to scrap4brains

I don't know that I would use something as heavy duty as a dremel on scrap paper.

I use a sanding block as far as that goes.

I use Tim Holtz distress tool, but I recently got Ingvild's new tool! I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I know it will be a staple in my distressing arsenal.

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to Manda_K

seen it and also curious as I have a nail filing system from the $ store that looks just like it, wonder if I should pick up another for my scrap area hmmmmm....

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 10-12-11 07:20 AM
In response to StrawberryPia

• StrawberryPia Said:

And its not expensive, plus they have it here.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

• Sassy Suzi Said:
I have seen the new and older distressing tool that looks like a small Dremel tool. Has anyone used a Demel to distressed with or do you have the new ones that look like it? I would like your opinions on them. If it works okay I made have to go to the garage and pull mine out of hiding. Thanks!

I recently dragged my old Dremel out and picked up a few new sanding bits (diamond no less) dirt cheap at the flea market. I have been using it smooth out gritty bottoms on ceramic pots. While I have it out, I also have also used it on other things.

I guess... in my mind... the Dremel is more for smoothing and buffing not scratching and distressing BUT get it out and try it. You may find you want to use it for other reasons like smoothing rough chipboard edges.

If you have one, why not use it when the need pops up (but I wouldn't suggest buying one for this purpose).

PS Last night, in my ceramic class, I mentioned "I'll just take my pot home and use my Dremel on it (as opposed to trying to sand it down in class) and the instructor said "why of course...you would have a Dremel because all Germans have Dremels and you are German." I was like "say what?" owning a Dremel is a cultural thing? who knew...

cdsqueen
Expert
cdsqueen
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I pretty much use sanding blocks or nail files for my needs.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to cdsqueen

I love my zutter distresser does the most wonderful job.

aschlegel06
Guru
aschlegel06
In response to Sneezy1956

I recently bought a d-stress tool from Imaginisce which is pretty much like a Dremel tool and am very disappointed. It does not work any better than the Tim Holtz distress tool. Good thing it was 40% off!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to aschlegel06

This was my first distressing tool because my DH found it for a birthday present for me, thinking I could use it in scrapbooking.

http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-rotary-tool- kit-9...

aschlegel06
Guru
aschlegel06
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
This was my first distressing tool because my DH found it for a birthday present for me, thinking I could use it in scrapbooking.

http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-rotary-tool- kit-9...

Does this work well for you?

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to aschlegel06

Oh yeah, I was going to add to this but then got distracted.

It does work well for me. I will use those metal wire attachments for roughing up some edges that I want to ink without having frayed paper edges.

I use the sand paper pieces for distressing paper edges. It gives a distressed looked but it is is a bit different than the Tim Holtz distresser I also use.

I'm still playing with it. I was scared at first, but it is fun to use and not to powerful like a regular dremel.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
  • Sassy Suzi Said:

I recently dragged my old Dremel out and picked up a few new sanding bits (diamond no less) dirt cheap at the flea market. I have been using it smooth out gritty bottoms on ceramic pots. While I have it out, I also have also used it on other things.

I guess... in my mind... the Dremel is more for smoothing and buffing not scratching and distressing BUT get it out and try it. You may find you want to use it for other reasons like smoothing rough chipboard edges.

If you have one, why not use it when the need pops up (but I wouldn't suggest buying one for this purpose).

PS Last night, in my ceramic class, I mentioned "I'll just take my pot home and use my Dremel on it (as opposed to trying to sand it down in class) and the instructor said "why of course...you would have a Dremel because all Germans have Dremels and you are German." I was like "say what?" owning a Dremel is a cultural thing? who knew...

My name is Murphy and I have a dremel.

Sassy Suzi
Diva
Sassy Suzi
In response to scrap4brains

I will have to get it from the garage and try it. I also have a lot of the tool bits, sanding, wire, smooth, cutting, etc. Mine does have a variable speed. I'll let you all know when I do and share the results.

ehammann
Veteran
ehammann

I have the D-Stress tool by Imaginisce. I like it, but still use a sanding block I made to do most of my distressing. I also have the Heidi Swapp Distress Tool as well which I like to use.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

• Gelidy Gelato Said:

Going by her logic, we have a Dremel too, so naturally we must be German.

I've not tried the Dremel, but it's a good idea. My distressing tools are a thread cutter from Grandma's sewing box, and old emery boards. Hey big spender!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics