Username Post: Paper Edgers        (Topic#1565443)
aschlegel06
Guru
aschlegel06

Does anyone still use paper edgers? I have a whole box of them and wondered if I should get rid of them of keep them.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to aschlegel06

I was a sucker for those when I first started scrapping and bought a bunch of them. I still use the deckle edge pair but the others just sit unused in a box. I was thinking they should be dumped in order to open up some valuable storage space. However, I recently noticed in a couple of magazines that they are being used on elements for cards. Maybe I will give them one more try before getting rid of them.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Ms. Fit

Without the link, I wouldn't have known what you're talking about. I'd never heard them called 'paper edgers.'

Decorative scissors.
I have a few I bought, and then got a HUGE pack of them as a gift. I still have them. I use them VERY RARELY.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Bxr-Linda

I use them . . . . never.

But they sure do look pretty in their little decorative metal pail on my table.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to kelseymel

I'm down to six pairs now - I bought a bunch a few years ago when Michael's had them for 50 cents apiece. Two scallops, a wavy edge, a small zig-zag, and two different deckle-edges. The deckle edges are pretty much the only ones I use, and usually only the smaller one - though now that I've figured out how to cut in a straight line with them I might give them another go.

And I agree with kelseymel, the product link really helped. Without it I would have thought you meant those metal strips by Fiskars that you hold against the paper and pull the paper up to tear it in a pattern. I didn't realize that was the name Fiskars actually used for their scissors (mine are pretty much all Provo Craft).

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to aquabunny

Your post reminded me of Gelidy Gelato's fabulous instructions for making a photo mat/frame with deco scissors. I still haven't tried it yet, maybe today is the day!

Here it is:

How to cut photo mats with deco scissors By Gelidy Gelato

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to kelseymel

Thanks--never saw this before! Maybe it will be the encouragement needed to give these another try.

aschlegel06
Guru
aschlegel06
In response to Ms. Fit

Thanks for the posts, guess I will be holding onto them for awhile!

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo

I still use mine sometimes. I only have about six of them. Deckle is definitely the most used one. The drawn line technique definitely helps get a straighter cut.

ehammann
Veteran
ehammann
In response to KatieJo

Believe it or not I still do use some of mine, quite often. I do not use them for creating layouts or cards though. I use them when creating mixed media pieces and cutting down some of the pp or papers. It really doesn't matter what kind of scissors that I use when cutting down the background papers, but I like to use the deco edged ones for some texture.

aschlegel06
Guru
aschlegel06
In response to ehammann

thanks ladies alot of great tips!

cmkage
cmkage 
Expert
cmkage

I've got a few and I love them. I use them quite frequently.

ehammann
Veteran
ehammann
In response to cmkage

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses them. LOL. At this point, when cutting scraps, for me, scissors are scissors, regardless of the type.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to ehammann

It has been awhile since I have used the ones I have. They are still occupying space in top of my Crop in Style Navigator bag.

sbartist
Governor
sbartist
In response to dotfree

I picked out my favorites of what I thought I might need in the future and donated the rest. And I pulled out one pair just yesterday to use for one of my paper piecing projects.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics