Username Post: Newbie here        (Topic#1565469)
Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 10-13-11 04:13 AM

Barbara from Staten Island here... greetings to you all and I'm so glad I found this site. I'm brand new to sbing. I have bought a ton of stuff already and I've looked at lots of ya'alls layouts. I have done and taken apart 3pages so far. Now I have a huge heap of frustration on my dining room table. I spend way too too much time looking for die cuts and embellishments, letters, etc. at Michaels I'm thinking I need a machine. I've looked at the Cricut Expression and have read rave reviews. Should I get this one?
Products Referenced in This Post:

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Lunie

Hiya

I love my Cricut- I have the little one. I got it kinda by luck, and not even thinking I really WANTED/would need one. But now I have so much fun with it that I'm dying to upgrade to the full-size Expression.

But you still won't stop tearing up Michael's.

-Kory

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 10-13-11 05:52 AM
In response to designguyKORY

Really? I'm still going to live half my life in Michaels? LOL. So, I was just waiting for one person to tell me the Cricut was wonderful and I hit the "buy" button on HSN for three squeezy payments. I'm going to organize the hot mess on my dining room table and let it cool down till my Cricut comes in the mail in 10 days.

veejer
veejer 
Resident
veejer
In response to Lunie

I just got my Expression about 5 months ago, and I love it! Once you get some cartridges, you can really save money on buying embellies. The cartridges often have tags, cards, and boxes so you can do so much more than just scrapbook layouts.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to veejer

I totally love my Expression!!!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to debby_westbrook

Oh, you will love it. And you will still spend all of your free time in Michael's. Or JoAnn's. Hobby Lobby? Yup.

And sb.com does free shipping like once a month.

Welcome!

chile_chicken
Guru
chile_chicken
In response to kelseymel

sb.om has free shipping today for facebook likers- so tempting!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to chile_chicken

I have had my cricut for about 4 1/2 years....I LOVE it! I know there are other machines that you can cut anything you want but for me, that doesn't interest me.....I don't want to "create" my own cuts...I want to pop in a cart and start cutting! Now comes the hard part...collecting carts...I have over 100........did I just admit that!!! I never pay more that $20 for a cart though.....pm me if you want a site that carries awesome sales!!!! BUY, BUY, BUY...you won't regret it!!!

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 10-13-11 05:21 PM
In response to binkiemonstermom

Oh thanks you all. I did buy it. Typical me, I jumped into this project buying all kinds of stuff and don't even really know what to do with it. I would describe myself as the world's most uncraftiest person but I'm determined. Tonight I'm going to see if I can emboss a butterfly. Thankfully this site has so much information. It's awesome.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to Lunie

I'm new too and I don't have any machine yet. Don't know enough to figure out which one to buy. Don't feel bad, I tore up six of my LO's because I felt like I got off track with my "theme". Then I got more aggressive!

ehammann
Veteran
ehammann
In response to CrimsonMama

Welcome to the world of scrapbooking. I'm not the best to ask about any of the Cricut machines as I had mine for over two years and used it maybe ten times. I was never a big fan. I prefer to buy my embellies or hand cut my own. I do more mixed media now, so I don't have much use for one as I tear things out by hand, or just freehand it all!

As you can see, this hobby may just take you down the paths of other forms of art. My best piece of advice is HAVE FUN!!!

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to ehammann

Hi there Barbara, and welcome! Originally from Brooklyn myself. Have fun shopping.

aschlegel06
Guru
aschlegel06
In response to RockStar

Hi Barbara,I have a Cricut personal cutter then last year I was watching a full crafting day of HSN when they introduced the Cricut Imagine. I was amazed and bought it. I love it! It gets alot of use at my house even my 6 year old daughter uses (with supervision of course!)

Angie

SueLovesToScrap
Veteran
SueLovesToScrap
In response to aschlegel06

Welcome, Barbara! I have the Cricut personal cutter and love it but I've heard you can do soooo much more with the Cricut Imagine. Let us know how you like it!

studiocbychelsea
Pro
studiocbychelsea
In response to SueLovesToScrap

Welcome to sb.com! I have a cricut..have owned it since 2008 haven't actually spent a whole lot of time on it but I LOVE it Have fun~

sammy_lou_sue
Resident
sammy_lou_sue
In response to Lunie

I think that my biggest problem is putting stuff together and second guessing myself like.. hmm maybe something else might look better.. before ya know it I had a table full of choices and couldn't choose! SO I started to pick something and go with it! I am new to all of this too! There are SO many different....styles,products,ect. It is a bit overwhelming! When I found this site I had two books of pages that I had done. I looked at all the layouts on here that people had done and .. well they made mine look like a forth grader did it!

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 10-29-11 08:09 PM
In response to sammy_lou_sue

Hello to a fellow Staten Islander!

Hopefully, you'll get lots of use out of your Cricut. I rarely use mine but I know I'm in the minority. I'm a tool junkie. I have punches still in packaging. I had to buy the itop to make brads. I absolutely needed the big bite. I rarely use any of them. This hobby can really get out of control. My best advice is to try not to buy impulsively. And of course, have fun with it.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics