Username Post: Help! :)        (Topic#1565861)
sammy_lou_sue
Resident
sammy_lou_sue

I am pretty new to all of this and would love any advice that anyone has to give!
Like.. Glue.. I have tried a ton of different kinds, tack,super,stick, the runner.. nothing seems to work great! The super glue usually changes the color of my paper(like I got water on it)the tack leaves white clunky messes even after it dries, nothing else seems to hold heavy things.
The criket.. is it worth getting... I have heard that it can get REALLY expensive. I am sure that it makes things easier, but I don't mind spending the time doing it myself. It would be great to be able to not have scissor rings on my hands though! There are a few different choices with buying one also..which one would be the best? I always do 12x12 layouts so I know the smallest one is out.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to sammy_lou_sue

There are about 'eleventeenhundred' threads here about adhesive.

Most people use a variety (different adhesive for different applications).
In short, lots of people like the Scotch ATG; glue dots are good; various tape runners.

Do NOT use glue sticks. They will NOT hold!
I would also NOT use super glue. That will probably eat through your paper and embellishments.

Here are some threads that may be helpful:

How to search the forum
Product questions - start here

I presume you are asking about the Cricut? There is a separate forum here for Cricut discussion.
I don't have one; and don't see the need to.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg

Everyone has their own personal prefs for glue/adhesive. My "Go To's" are my Pink ATG and the generic doublesided square photo tabs with the blue backing paper on them from michaels . I also use Scotch Quick dry liquid adhesive in the bottle.I have others in my stash as well but it just depends what I am trying to glue as to what adhesive I use.

I don't own a cricket, so I can't give advice on that one. I do own a craft robo pro which is a step or so up from a cricket in that it does not require cartridges and if I can draw it on my computer I can cut it out. It cuts as large as 12x16 I believe.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• sammy_lou_sue Said:

Like.. Glue.. I have tried a ton of different kinds, tack,super,stick, the runner.. nothing seems to work great! The super glue usually changes the color of my paper(like I got water on it)the tack leaves white clunky messes even after it dries, nothing else seems to hold heavy things.

I'm not really sure what types of adhesive you mean here (except Super Glue, which I would never use for any paper crafting).

What is 'tack' glue?

These are some good ones:

kellyshoaf
Idol
kellyshoaf
In response to Bxr-Linda

I like the zig writer for delicate objects/alphas, the xyron for ribbon, glue dots for flowers, glue glider pro or ATG for everything else ;).

tluvsscrappin
Expert
tluvsscrappin
In response to Shutterbugg

I just view your gallery and uhave some great los. i use glue stick for paper, glue dots for embellishments and flowers. sometimes i will use a stapler to help hold down ribbon or heavy papers etc and it's looks good! Hope this helps!
Happy scrappin!!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to tluvsscrappin

I use different adhesives for different putposes ...

paper: ATG or Glue Glider Pro
chipboard: glue dots or Fabritac (my new favorite go-to item
vellum: vellum glue dots
very intricate die cuts: WackyTac
ribbon, metal: Fabritac

as for the Cricut, I love mine (I have the Expression), but I don't use it as often as I should or could

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to madmatter

I like the Xyron, which comes in different widths. You insert your cutout and wind it through. It comes out with a sticky backing which you peel off and adhere. It's great for making your own embellishments. I have the cricut and lots of different punches for making cutouts. For large cutouts, I use the ATG for running adhesive down along straight edges and supplement with a zig glue pen or glue stick for the intricate edges.

dezignarob
Tenant
dezignarob
In response to Solitaire

My favorite glue continues to be the Best Glue Ever from Scraperfect because it is so flexible. It can be used as is for gluing papers, cardstocks and photos - a tiny bit is all that is needed so it ends up being very cost effective. Allowed to dry to tacky it adheres ribbons and other textiles, hard to stick materials like plastic, or works as a repositionable adhesive. Plus it can be used to make custom glue dots of any size needed.

You can check out the kind of thing it does at the Scraperfect blog. www.scraperfect.blogspot.com

sammy_lou_sue
Resident
sammy_lou_sue
In response to dezignarob

Thanks! I have want to try and start selling come scrapbook, so I don't want people to go to look at the ones that I have done and stuff fall off! I like the gluesticks only to use on the photo that way if I ever want the picture off (to make copies) I can just pull it off. I have the little glue dots and I love them but most of the time they are too big for the smaller ribbon. (like the rope, line like ribbon)I would love to take a class but I don't usually have someone to keep my daughter.. truth is I don't want anyone to keep her! Being a stay at home mom is a hard thing to break!

Scrap Princess72010
Expert
Scrap Princess72010

• sammy_lou_sue Said:
I am pretty new to all of this and would love any advice that anyone has to give!
The criket.. is it worth getting... I have heard that it can get REALLY expensive. I am sure that it makes things easier, but I don't mind spending the time doing it myself. It would be great to be able to not have scissor rings on my hands though! There are a few different choices with buying one also..which one would be the best? I always do 12x12 layouts so I know the smallest one is out.

I do the 12X12 books that does not mean that the small one is out because you aren't making backgrounds normally or atleast I am not. I use mine all the time! I love it. I picked out a few basic carts. that I liked ( 2-3 Font ones and a couple others that were marked down!) and will use those for a while until we can afford more! I got mine for 70.00 on sale at Js because of an online miss print! Just watch out for deals you can always find carts around 20.00 online and when they are on sale! I really do love mine!!!!

Edited by Scrap Princess72010 on 10-25-11 07:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Scrap Princess72010

The glue I use for ribbon is the "glue dots, continuous line". You could also use a glue pen but I find the lines work better.
I use the adhesive runners for my photos because they are somewhat repositionable. You can reposition them for a few minutes before it becomes permanent.
Glossy Accents also works as a glue and will stick anything. I use glue dots for heavy stuff and bulky embellies, like flowers but Glossy Accents will work if you run out....
Stickles will also work
Alison

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to dezignarob

• dezignarob Said:
My favorite glue continues to be the Best Glue Ever from Scraperfect because it is so flexible. It can be used as is for gluing papers, cardstocks and photos - a tiny bit is all that is needed so it ends up being very cost effective. Allowed to dry to tacky it adheres ribbons and other textiles, hard to stick materials like plastic, or works as a repositionable adhesive. Plus it can be used to make custom glue dots of any size needed.

You can check out the kind of thing it does at the Scraperfect blog. www.scraperfect.blogspot.com

Here's another vote for Best Glue Ever. My only complaint is that it's not sold in local scrapping stores - only online. It rarely clogs (even when you forget to recap it), you can apply the thinnest line, and it holds like crazy.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to dwelch

I started to place an order for the Best Glue Ever, but the shipping charge is almost the same as the price of a bottle of glue.

If I order several bottles, will they dry up if I don't use them for some time?

VintageDutchGirl
Tenant
VintageDutchGirl

Hi there. Welcome to the wonderful world of scrapbooking! I'm fairly new myself and don't get a whole lot of time to actually scrap but when I do get a chance to my favorite way to adhere things is the xyron create-a-sticker machines. I have the 2.5" which is great for running small things through and I also have the 5" which is great for photos and larger items you want to apply adhesives on. They are also great because they have permanent and re-positional (not to mention magnetic and laminating) cartridges. When it comes to actual glues I really like zip dry for embellishments and zig 2 way glue for paper and photos. Hope that helps a little bit!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics