Username Post: Distressing Corners        (Topic#1565953)
New Kid On the Block

I've been looking at everyone's layouts on here and I've noticed that distressing the corners of the pages is very popular. I've figured out how to do it by using scissors but I've seen it a different way and want to learn how to do it. I recently saw one where the edges almost looked burned, curled up and the very tips of the edges are a different color than the rest of the page. I'd really like to know how it's done. I have searched on youtube to see if there were any tutorials and I can't find any. If anyone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to sunshower21

I use a tiny bit of sand paper or a nail file. I use Distress ink for the edges - usually Vintage Photo or Tea Dye.

They also make distressing tools that you can use.

HTH!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to kelseymel

If you mean something like this

Rothenburg (r) By Pugs223

I used the swirlydoos tutorial found here

http://www.swirlydoos.com/page.php?37

I didn't ink the edges on this one, the paper was shaded like that, but I think if you use the distress inks around the edges before you get the paper wet, it should work. Might be a little messy though.

Edited by pugs223 on 10-27-11 07:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Booknook200
Expert
Booknook200
In response to pugs223

Thanks for sharing that link Pugs! That is very helpful for me!

SueLovesToScrap
Veteran
SueLovesToScrap
In response to Booknook200

How do you actually curl up the edges? Do you just roll them? I'd love to do this on a vintage page I'm working on but can't seem to do it quite right.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to SueLovesToScrap

Ah ha - I knew I had a LO where I inked then water distressed. (I'm not trollig for comments, just want to share examples) The mat for the top left photo was inked then watered, then dryed with heat gun.

Boat By Pugs223

The paper for my first example was lightweight pp and the photo mat is cardstock. The cardstock is definitely easier to work with, to get to stay where you want it when still wet and it holds its form better when dry.

SueLovesToScrap
Veteran
SueLovesToScrap
In response to pugs223

I'm definitely going to have to try this!

aschlegel06
Guru
aschlegel06
In response to SueLovesToScrap

thanks for sharing that link! It was very helpful.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to aschlegel06

You're welcome, happy I could share. I bookmarked it from someone else on sb.com who shared.

Peg364
Peg364 
Idol
Peg364
In response to pugs223

Love this look - I have been working on a vintage page as well, and I think this would be perfect. Thanks so much for sharing

New Kid On the Block
In response to Peg364

thanks everyone for your comments and helpful links. i cant wait to get started

tluvsscrappin
Expert
tluvsscrappin
In response to pugs223

Thank u for puttin up the Swirlydoos tutorial!! I had been wantin to try it. I luv to distress but had not wet the papers. Thanks!!!

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to tluvsscrappin

After reading this post, i started playing around with my destress inks, i have had 2 of them the "tea die" and "dusty concord" i have never played around with them, but I have found my new found love! i also got out my alchol inks and blending solution and played around forever! Oh and watched a lot of youtube videos! I didnt realize how much fun playing around with your new stuff/stuff you dont never use could be lol

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics