Username Post: What do you smash? Smash book/brag book questions ???        (Topic#1565987)
Crystal is Leahs Mom
Idol
Crystal is Leahs Mom

I've been looking at the smash books and I really want one, But I have the fancy pants brag book that I won from sb.com on NBD. I want to use this brag book for my smash book. So the question that I have is, what do you smash? Whats you favorite item to add to your smash book, what photos do you use? What have you titled your book or what would you title your book

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to Crystal is Leahs Mom

Art inspiration. Color combos, sketches, knit/crochet patterns, interior design, texture, anything that catches my eye and I want to do.

Mine doesn't have a title because I have no idea what is going to end up in there and I only use titles 50% of the time anyway

Expert
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

I gave my NSD Brag Book to my little sister for her trip to New Zealand/Australia this fall. She's very artistic so hopefully she can and will do something neat with it. I bought one for me that I'm going to try to use as my Christmas Album this year (instead of a regular album with layouts). I think my plan will be to do a day by day journalling/something and then adding pictures when it's all done...we'll see...

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to HuskerMom98

I smash anything and everything-I kind of use it as a catch all for inspirational finds/things I love. I've got a couple of them, one for things like ticket stubs from movies and plays, coasters from bars, funny wrappers from candy/soda bottles, anything that catches my eye and makes me smile. The other is for trips and I carry it with me while away, I stick all sorts of things, plane tickets, napkins, hotel keys. I also make notes in it so that when I go back to scrap I remember funny phrases or scenarios that happened while away.

The photos that go in my smash journals are ones that I love but wouldn't necessarily want to scrap.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to MrsAnnieS

My local shop just got some Smashbooks in and I cant wait to check them out! I hope to be smashing away starting Saturday morning!

I will probably use it as a random visual diary. Ideas, random papers I find, ticket stubs, all the crazy bits Im always picking up and gathering...

K

DNA301
DNA301 
Queen
DNA301
In response to designguyKORY

I have a Junique Journal (same idea as a Smash Book but I made it out of a note book)...I put in cards I get, tags from t-shirts, stickers, cute stuff from magazines/the internet, iTunes Cards, quotes, zentangles...pretty much anything LOL!

Resident
In response to DNA301

Like stated above-I put in things that makes me happy. I put int this I love or is about me as well. I cut stuff out of magazines and place them in the smash book. Concert tickets, movie tickets, whatever I like...I don't have many photos in my smash book. So my book is a happy book about me. Its organized fun-no rules.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to SunshineScrapper1

nothing yet ... I bought a smash book (and accessories) thru HSN when they had their craft day about a month ago, but it's still in the box it came in ...

I'm still contemplating how to get it going ...

kirkkevinsmom
Diva
kirkkevinsmom
In response to madmatter

I got a smash book but haven't started to use it. I was going to use it like everyone else is doing. I check things out of magazines and papers and they just pile up and I end up throwing them away so know I have somewhere to put them.

Crystal is Leahs Mom
Idol
Crystal is Leahs Mom
In response to kirkkevinsmom

wow, thank yo so much for the different ideas, I think this is going to be a fun project. I also like the idea of no title, bc I don't know whats going to be in it. Or I can go with the idea/title of "ALL THINGS THAT MAKE ME HAPPY/SMILE" That seems cool.

I collect tags from clothes,and little things here and there and they are all stashed around my scrap area and Im glad that I finally have something to do with them. I also went to my first broadway play "LION KING". I think I may want to get the red brag book for our upcoming Disney trip

I think I may want to to a brag or smash book for:
* my daughters preschool experience
*What Makes me happy/things that I like

I guess some other title or themes could be:
*pregnancy
*Engagement/Showers/Weddi ng
*First year- baby or marriage
*cook/recipe book
* A year in review

Well thats all that I can come up with now, I can't wait to get started.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

I don't have one, but now I want on. They seem like a lot of fun!

jhostedler
New Kid On the Block
jhostedler

If you go to mycraftchannel.com, and look at Embellish It's tips, Shelby shows a cute video to use your brag book as a 25 days of Christmas album, and another one that she made sections in for each of her kids.

I have 2 smash books - they are great! I have one started. My boyfriend is a pilot, and when we go up I take a LOT of pictures. And we always chit chat while we are up there. So I started one smash book, starting with him getting his pilots license, and then I usually come home and do a page or two everytime we fly, with where we went, momentos and comments on the little things we chatted about while flying. I really like using the smash book for this because a lot of the pictures aren't really something I want to sit and do a formal layout about, but I am able to throw them on a smash page, add a sticker, jot a note, and done!! I have a log of our adventures!!

jhostedler
New Kid On the Block
jhostedler
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
nothing yet ... I bought a smash book (and accessories) thru HSN when they had their craft day about a month ago, but it's still in the box it came in ...

I'm still contemplating how to get it going ...

I got my kit from HSN too....that was a really great deal!! $$

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to jhostedler

I got my SmashStuffs over the weekend! So excited. And love it so much I haven't taken it out of its packaging, yet. I just kinda gaze at it and run my fingers over the pages. LoL. I gotta just grab the pen and make a mark in it so I can get over my fear of ruining it...

I went a little wild and bought nearly one of everything from the display. I got the SmashStamp, which has some really fun sayings on it, as well as date stamps. And I love stamping the dates on things.

I also got the giant rubber bands to keeo it closed up, some of the tape, and a few of the little books of tags/quotes. All the stuff is just too fun looking. So simple, but feels fun. Like it lots.

K

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to designguyKORY

Not trying to sound foolish, but why is it called a smash book? Cool name, I'm just curious. Thanks

Resident
In response to catzscrapper

I think the idea of it being called a "smash" book is you just throw stuff in it and it gets smashed into the book. Check out the video-that's what got me hooked. I then had my kids and their friends watch it to see if they wanted to do this over the summer. They were hooked too.
The kids "smashed" at least once a week over the summer and still smash off and on now that school is back in session. It was a bigger hit than I expected. The ages were 8-14 boys and girls. Not knowing if this would be a big hit. I bought each kid a $.50 composition book. They decorated the front and back covers. A few of the kids titled the book-A Smashing Summer...

Now Santa is bringing them the real Smash book since they filled their composition book. The kids filled their books with summer events of course...movies they saw, vacations, soccer games, water parks, favorite things: tv shows, music, sayings, movies, anything they could come up with they added. They are very creative. It was the best investment I spent on a "summer" idea.

I found they love journaling boxes, letter stickers and of course-theme stickers. I found a lot of stuff at Tuesday Morning, Big Lots and the regulars HL, J's and M's. The older girls wanted a ATG so with coupon in hand...the littler ones used a glue stick (MS I found for $1 at Big Lots). They used scissors, punches and a 12 in. trimmer. It was simple.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics