Username Post: Paper trimmer advice please        (Topic#1566415)
MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun

I need to buy a new paper trimmer. I have the Fiskers Poerable Trimmer with the sliding blade, I have had it for a year, but the blade housing is warped and it no longer cuts straight. Does any one have the rotary cutter and if so is is sturdier?

Is there a trimmer you would recommend?

mustangkayla
Guru
mustangkayla
In response to MissaOnTheRun

I'm in the same boat as you. I remember searching here a while back and came across a few different threads that asked this. So you might search the forum. I have a fiskars and have the same problem. The trimmer I had before this one was the Making Memories one that folds in half. I LOVED the 12x12 grid, but it was big and a hassle and has broken twice on me. Oh, and lets not forget the horrible squeeking noise it made. Before that one I had a purple Fiskars and really liked it. I just wore the lines off.

amityknight
Tenant
amityknight
In response to mustangkayla

I think you're better off going with a guillotine (sp??) because they don't warp. I have found that both my cutters have warped housings and therefore cut on an angel unless I'm super careful. I have a cuterpede (rotary) and a cricut and they are both less than perfect.
I don't really have any suggestions. I have heard people rave about their making memories ones but I can't get those here.
I'll be watching this thread to see the recommendations.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to mustangkayla

Having had both, I'm a fan of rotary cutters rather than the blade ones. Blades seem to need changing very often.

I have the EK Success Cutterpede and I love it. Mine is showing signs of age (nearly 4 years of almost daily use) and I shall replace it with the same when it finally dies.
Products Referenced in This Post:

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to RedSquirrel

Thanks much for the advice.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg

I used to use that fiskars one (the small portable one) but mine warped. Then in 2005 my DH bought me a fiskars rotary trimmer (the big desktop version). I have been using it ever since and it is the best trimmer I have ever owned. The guide that the blade runs against is made of steel, so no warping there!

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest

• MissaOnTheRun Said:
I need to buy a new paper trimmer. I have the Fiskers Poerable Trimmer with the sliding blade, I have had it for a year, but the blade housing is warped and it no longer cuts straight. Does any one have the rotary cutter and if so is is sturdier?

Is there a trimmer you would recommend?

Just contact Fiskars to have it replaced. They have a lifetime warranty. Or get one of these ( I have both and recommend them). They now come with titanium blades that cut like BUTTER!

lynev 
Tenant
  • lynev on 11-05-11 05:35 PM
In response to Jennifer Priest

May I recommend going to your local office supply store and looking into getting a cutter from there. I live overseas, so cannot recommend a particular brand.

I mostly use a patchwork rotary cutting tool and patchwork rulers. Cutting is very accurate, especially with a plastic 'clear grip' sheet placed on the bottom of the ruler. This stops the ruler from slipping.
Take care with the Rotary cutter- keep well away from children as they are very, very sharp.

I also use a 12" Fiskars cutter.

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to lynev

Jennifer thanks that is a great piece of information to have. I'll get mine replaced.

blondey040300
Resident
blondey040300

I use the Making Memories 12 x 12 Trimmer...LOVE it! It makes a very clean straight cut. And I love that it folds in half.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics