Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Glimmer Mists and Alcohol Inks        (Topic#1566731)
kimberly.pate
Veteran
kimberly.pate

Is there anyone here who makes their own glimmer mists or their own Alcohol Inks. I am on a rather tight budget since my husband has been unemployed since February, and I am very careful with my shopping. I have read quite a bit on the net about making my own of either one, but would love some advice from a seasoned crafter.

Any thoughts?

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles
In response to kimberly.pate

I make my own...both glimmer and alcohol. There's a couple of different recipes on YouTube for both.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Ms_Pebbles

I make my own glimmer mist, using water and perfect pearls powder-super easy, super shimmery. My recipe is:

Fill a mini mister 3/4 with water and use a popsicle stick to scoop up a bit of perfect pearls and sprinkle it in the water. Shake well before each use! To add a bit of color I use my re-inkers-just a couple of drops. The more drops the richer the color. I figured the re-inkers were a good investment since I already use the stamp pads and would need to re-ink eventually anyway.

Ms. Mom
Expert
Ms. Mom
In response to MrsAnnieS

I didn't even know you could make your own alcohol inks. I recently got some reinkers from a LSS that was going out of business. They were less than $3 each. I prefer to use the reinkers because I think the color/texture is better, I tried the paint for color and I did not like it. I like making my own glimmer mist but I hate buying the Perfect Pearls cause they are pricey even with a coupon (when you are watching your pennies). I also don't like using the mini mister bottles. I like bigger bottles. I got a few from Hobby Lobby. I have seen them in Michaels too. Now to find a Youtube video on alc. inks.....

Ms.Schwiet
Queen
Ms.Schwiet
In response to Ms. Mom

Here's some recipes I have collected:

glitter glaze, twinkling h2o, shimmer paint, or glimmer glam
Homemade glimmer mist
Homemade alcohol ink
Make-Up Glimmer Mist

my favorite of these is the twinkle h2o; If I remember correctly Kimberly you do lots of cards and stamping so I think you'll love the twinkle h2o. I bought a big bottle of the iridescent stuff for under 10 last spring and I still have LOTS left

i didn't get the homemade alcohol ink to work out right so I have Rite dye by the truck load

the make-up one was just not as great as simply mixing metallic paint or acrylic paint with iridescent medium to some water in a squirt bottle

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Ms.Schwiet

Thank you, Kimberly, for asking the question. And thank you everyone for answering! This is something I wouldn't have thought of, but now I'm glad to know!

K

scrappycanuck1
Resident
scrappycanuck1
In response to designguyKORY

Kimberly,
I use MrsAnnieS technique too for glimmer mist- really simple, and so versitile. You can pick up little sprtizer bottles at the loonie store, and then just refill as you go with any colour combinations you want! I really like the mini misters from Ranger too - a bit pricy, but I love the way they spray and mine haven't clogged (which can be a problem). I also love how small they are because I am forever changing my colour combinations. Oh, and feel free to play with the balance of pearls to water - it is pretty forgiving!

I haven' made my own alchol inks, but I think I better look that up too!

Edited by scrappycanuck1 on 11-12-11 01:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to scrappycanuck1

Does HL, Michaels, or anywhere besides online carry the mini misters to make the glimmer mist. Just yesterday I got all the stuff, including a small mister bottle to make some and after two sprays, my mister quit. I don't like ordering online but if i have to I guess I will because I really want to try making the glimmer mist.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Trina_P

I've seen the 3pk of MiniMisters at Michael's.

K

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to designguyKORY

Great! Thanks. I looked online at Michaels but did not see it. Could have been "Operator Error" haha.

Will check that out.

scrappycanuck1
Resident
scrappycanuck1
In response to Trina_P

Trina, I did buy mine at Ms so definitely ask if you don't find them!!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

I make my own glimmer for specialty colors but also buy a lot of them.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to Sneezy1956

I am going tomorrow to get the misters. I was so excited to have all my stuff gathered up, bought little spray bottles and two sprays into it, the sprayer quit! I was so aggravated. Getting organized to do something is half my battle.

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to Trina_P

Trina, if your M's doesn't carry them, or if you'd prefer a larger bottle, I get mine at Sally Beauty Supply. CVS/Pharmacy also has them in the travel size plastics section.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to GemGirl

Well this sure is looking like I am not meant to do this. Now I get to Michaels and they are out of them. A truck comes Thursday.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Trina_P

thanks for posting this - there are some great ideas here!! I too have made some oh my own Glimmer mists!! I found several different was to make on you tube!

kimberly.pate
Veteran
kimberly.pate
In response to Ms.Schwiet

Thanks for all the great links! I appreciate it!

Kimberly

kimberly.pate
Veteran
kimberly.pate
In response to Trina_P

Do you have a JoAnn's Store? I bought some mini misters at Joann's a while ago. You might find some there.

Kimberly

kimberly.pate
Veteran
kimberly.pate

• scrappycanuck1 Said:
Kimberly,
You can pick up little sprtizer bottles at the loonie store, and then just refill as you go with any colour combinations you want!

Okay ~ what is the loonie's store? This is not one I have heard of, is it location specific perhaps?

Kimberly

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to kimberly.pate

Same thing as a dollar store. In Canada the nickname for our dollar coin is "loonie".

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics