Username Post: What would you do??        (Topic#1566741)
Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy

I just finished scrapping a summer road trip my family took. I used lots of papers from different companies and did it based on the pictures. For example, I put the Ben and Jerry's pictures on cow paper, the beach pictures were on beach paper, etc. I am now starting on another trip we took to Savannah, Georgia. My question is....how would you scrapbook this? Would you choose paper based on pictures or would you tie the whole album together using a line of paper like Fancy Pants, BasicGrey, etc.? If you would use a certain line of paper, which one would you choose to capture the essence of Savannah, GA. Any input would be great. Thank you!

twosmilestoday
Resident
twosmilestoday
In response to Vintageivy

I think I would use papers that highlight the historic heritage of the area. Pretty southern like papers, antique shades, etc.

I am a history nut so that was my first thought.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to twosmilestoday

I would be likely to choose paper based on pictures, but that's basically how I do everything - even my wedding album was like that instead of being completely tied together by color.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to aquabunny

I just completed an album of our land and cruise trip to the mediterranean last year, and I used 4 different paper stacks, choosing papers based on the pictures themselves.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to RockStar

My take is to match the colors in the photo to the colors in the pps or to matach the subject in the photo to the pp. ...btw, by "match" they can be contrasting, monochromatic, complentary, analgous, etc. -they don't have to be exactly the same. My advice is to look at the photo and look at your pps until you are satisfied with what you chose. Have fun!

darkchami
Expert
darkchami
In response to rockmom

As much as I admire those that make scrapbooks with papers that all tie together, I just can't do it. It sounds like you tend to match your paper to your photos like I do. Go with what you like and what you are comfortable with.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to rockmom

I match the papers to the pictures for the most part.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Trina_P

I do vacation albums for my kids. They end up being 30-50 pages each. I use my favorite papers and don't ever make them match. I might do it differently for a wedding, but that is the only subject I might keep them the same.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to 950nancy

I don't very often make pages match. It's just how I am, I use what I have and make the page colors according to the pics on that page. Each time you turn the page it may be a whole different color scheme but I like that, sort of brings you into the 'world' of that page. If doing a 2 page LO I will try to use same colors so it's obvious they go together, but that's all the matching I do!!
scrap the pics with what looks good to you, if you want to match you could have a matching ribbon on each page or something like that. Then again, if you want it all to match use some of those cool papers of the state, or make color copies of a map you used when you were there! I have done that before and in the background paper you can see places you went, names of towns or roads you took. If you don't have a map, you might be able to get a pic of one online, then copy as you like for your pages.

Edited by catzscrapper on 11-12-11 11:51 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Shivi
Shivi 
Veteran
Shivi
  • Shivi on 11-13-11 02:06 AM
In response to catzscrapper

I tried to pre-plan and match all pages for my wedding album, but when I started I found that it just didn't work out. Especially because it takes me a loooong time to do all those layouts (I'm at it for about half a year now). And I guess, I would get bored with using the same papers over and over again and I definitely want to have fun scrapping

Maybe I'll regret it some day - well, than I'll scrap the album again with coordinating papers

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Shivi

I usually match my pictures to papers as well. However I was able to use one line recently on a trip because the pictures all coordinated with the line.

Maybe you can luck out with something like that and satisfy both aspects.

Expert
In response to jaxxan

I usually match colors to my photos, but when I did our family trip to the Mall of America last year I did most of it using BG's "Wander" line. I did have a few other PP in there because I found some great Minnesota papers at the MOA Archivers, and a few wildlife PP because we also went to the Minnesota Zoo. But I did try to use something from the Wander Line with each LO.

In the end I am very happy with the album and I think it looks great, but then again the colors and scenes of Wander worked great with my boys and our activites. If a paper line can be found I think it makes a great album--otherwise, maybe just pick a few colors to use through out the album. They don't have to be the exact same shade, but just something similar enough to connect each LO to the album as a whole.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 11-13-11 02:56 PM
In response to Trina_P

• Trina_P Said:
I match the papers to the pictures for the most part.

This is what I do also.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Bev1

I'm one that would take a paper line and just use that line. Personally I prefer an album like a vacation all one line.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Sneezy1956

I'm currently working on a wedding album for a co-worker, and it's the first time I've ever done an entire album with one paper collection ... the colors were perfect and it's made my life much easier.

I don't think either way is a bad idea ... I think it's just about what you prefer.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 11-14-11 07:43 AM
In response to madmatter

I'm definitely a "match the paper with the photos person". I have seen other talented scapper pull off using one line for a project but I just am not that talented. LOL!

Can't wait to see what you create!

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy
In response to AK Teddy Bear

Thank you so much for all of the great tips!

bbarthej
Expert
bbarthej
In response to AK Teddy Bear

I also match the picture to the paper... There's no right/wrong, just do your own thing and have fun!

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to bbarthej

I have done both - for my honeymoon I am going to probably stick to a specific line but haven't decided what yet

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics