Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Tim Holtz Distress Inks?        (Topic#1566745)
twosmilestoday
Resident
twosmilestoday

I have seen a few posts super excited about getting these. I am not familar with them. I watched a youtube video by Tim Holtz but I am not sure why I should love them.

Can anyone sell me on why you LOVE them?

How would I use them?

Thanks

aschlegel06
Guru
aschlegel06
In response to twosmilestoday

I felt the same way at first & thought I wouldn't really be into the whole distressing look but I started watching some videos and decided to give it a try. I really loved it and look forward to doing more & learning more. I like to use them for edging & like that his colors are a little more faded & not so bright compared to some of the other ink pads. Of course it is all up to preference. Also check out his video about this product on Youtube.

Edited by aschlegel06 on 11-12-11 08:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to aschlegel06

Why you should love Tim Holtz Distress Inks:

Colors. The colors are amazing.

Dry time. Nice and slow, great for embossing.

Blending. One of the unique properties is how you blend the colors and not make it dirty looking.

Reaction. It reacts with water to creating a stony, mottled look.

Stamping. You can use them straight form the pad to stamp with, but I like Archival better for that.

I haven't done a lo without Distress Ink in years probably!

We are super excited for the limited edition fall and winter colors. I got them yesterday at my LSS and they are amazing!

twosmilestoday
Resident
twosmilestoday
In response to Manda_K

Some good reasons. That was what I was looking for. I am just getting started with scraping again. Previously, I was VERY simple with pages. Didn't really use embellishments much either.

I mostly just mounted pictures in layers and used stickers.

I am ready to branch out and design more elaborate lo's . I can see from all the long time scrapers that I have lots to learn, try, and enjoy.

Thanks for the info.

scrappycanuck1
Resident
scrappycanuck1

I think what I love the best about them is the versitility of the inks! Because of the slower drying time, they blend so beautifully! And then I can spray a bot of water on them and get a whole new look! The colours work really well together too- same tones.

I didn't think I was into the whole distressed look until I started playing. It's still not a look I always go to, but I even love just inking the edge of a photo or die cut image just slightly to get rid of the white edge and give the shape a little bit of dimension!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to scrappycanuck1

I love them! I freakin' adore them!

Aaaaaaand I was finally able to pick up my Winter colors today!

I love everything about them. The colors are all amazing. I like the way they look as shading/edging. One color can look like a lighter shade if just applied lighter, and with a distressed edge, it seems to look a bit darker when rubbed into the raw paper edge. And I love to blend the color on an entire area, and mist some water over it. It looks great.

Also, you gotta check out the techniques, especially the 'wrinkle free distress' technique. That's my favorite one, at the moment.

And my shallow side loves the look. I like the square container that stacks with the others.

K

darkchami
Expert
darkchami
In response to designguyKORY

I like to use to stamp and use clear embossing on white card stock. Then I love to use the distress inks to bring out the image. They have a lovely almost suede look when using different shades of the same color.

I also use them as watercolors. It's one of the ways I color in stamps.

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 11-12-11 08:19 PM
In response to darkchami

I'm new to all this and not very skilled. What they said...And I would like to add that they are goof proof. I did my first lo with them and what at first what looked like a horrid mess, with a little water, all blended beautifully. I couldn't believe it.

Barbara

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Lunie

You are right, Lunie! At first, I wasn't expecting to get the results I'd seen done online- but just blending them in a bit with the blending tool, and wowww. They make such a difference,

I'm now using a bag of makeup sponges I bought at the Dollar Tree to apply my inks. Works very well, and a big bag of sponges for a dollar!

K

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

just picked up the Fall collection ... pretty

twosmilestoday
Resident
twosmilestoday
In response to Lunie

• Lunie2nz Said:
at first what looked like a horrid mess, with a little water, all blended beautifully. I couldn't believe it.

Barbara

NICE!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-13-11 10:27 PM

Makeup sponges are good, but have to say I've become a fan of the blending tool and the little sponges that attach to it. I also like a fluffy fat cotton ball for a stippled effect.

twosmilestoday
Resident
twosmilestoday
In response to stick

can anyone post a lo with this technique so I can see?

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl

We can do more than that! If you click on the "Superstore" link at the upper left of your screen & look up Distress Inks, you'll not only get a whole gallery of samples & copius reviews, you'll also get a video demo from Tim Holtz himself! Oh, & you definately want to check out Tim's blog...he does a series of Christmas tags that are chock full of cool techniques. Link Have fun!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to GemGirl

Tim Holtz's tutorials are awesome (and he's a cutie patootie to boot)

rtay
rtay 
Mayor
rtay
  • rtay on 11-14-11 05:30 AM

• designguyKORY Said:
You are right, Lunie! At first, I wasn't expecting to get the results I'd seen done online- but just blending them in a bit with the blending tool, and wowww. They make such a difference,

I'm now using a bag of makeup sponges I bought at the Dollar Tree to apply my inks. Works very well, and a big bag of sponges for a dollar!

K

I started out with the make up sponges too, then slowly started investing in the blending tools...bought 1 at first, now I have several.....get at least one, and see what you think....I think your gonna see the difference. Make sure to keep your used sponges in a ziplock bag so you can use them over and over....but really, buy at least 1 of the blending tools, I think you will see a difference.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to rtay

I just love the colors and all the different looks you can get from his inks!!! I too am addicted to them!!!! I recently got the limited edition Winter and Fall ones - LOVE THEM!!!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to SmartyPants

I have the blending tool- and DO love it and adore it- but for some things, I still use the makeup sponges from the Dee Tee.

I keep eyeing that kick-a looking metal spinning rack for the blending tools. Anything that looks like vintage office supply makes me feel funny inside.

k

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

has anyone seen the new cargo and trinket cases?

they look fantastic!

Expert
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
has anyone seen the new cargo and trinket cases?

they look fantastic!

Only in an e-mail from my LSS...not in person yet. They look cool!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics