Username Post: Ipad apps (specifically ScrapPad)        (Topic#1566771)
stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-12-11 05:05 PM

So I got an ipad, yay!!!

I know Kory loves ScrapPad, does anyone else here use it? I love the idea of portable scrapping (e.g., scrapping on my lunch hour without dragging the laptop around), but if I already use Photoshop Elements at home, will ScrapPad be frustratingly simple? Or just simple but acceptable? It's $5 which to me is a lot for an app (sort of ironic considering how much I willingly spent on the darn ipad, lol).

New Kid On the Block
In response to stick

Oh man, how did I miss this thread? I just posted in the digital scrapbooking forum asking about iPad apps. Unfortunately, I haven't tried ScrapPad yet, so I'm no help to you, but I'll be watching this thread!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-12-11 05:55 PM
In response to Porcupine8

lol, we were probably posting at the same time. And the digi forum is probably where I SHOULD have posted Oops

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to stick

Hahaha, I feel so popular to be mentioned! LoL

ScrapPad is a little too simple. I really only use it to play, or to experiment/plan a layout. It can also be truly frustrating, if you're trying to make multiple embellishments the same size.

I really love it for making my before/after 'spreads' for my various projects.

But it is lots of fun for me.

K

K

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to designguyKORY

Aaaaand,

I just got Coolibah, which more serious (but not classy photoshop using) digital scrappers seem to like... But I havent got the hang of it..

K

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-12-11 06:11 PM

Hmmm, well given that Coolibah is free I think I'll give it a test run.

I'm hoping Adobe's upgrade of mobile Photoshop next year will be more ... Photoshop-y.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to stick

I think there are some free Holiday only set trials of ScrapPad you can download for free, it just has a watermark- but it is a good test. I got the movie night trial of ScrapPad first, which is how I decided to buy the whole thing.

K

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-12-11 06:20 PM

Cool, thanks, K!

Mr Mister
Veteran
Mr Mister
In response to stick

Coolibah may be free but you pay for the nicer sets of elements and it adds up. I found it a little touchy to use on my Ipad. Lot's of touchy tweaking but the end affects are nice. I have a few layouts in my gallery if you're interested.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Mr Mister

I tried Coolibah, but you really have to pay extra for *everything*. You even only get the font and background colors that are included in the packs you download, which I thought was extreme. It seems like a color picker for solid colors should be free.

I tried the free version of Photo Wall last night, it's very basic and only has a few theme packs available, but maybe they're planning more.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-13-11 07:46 AM

Thanks, Mr Mister! (another guy, how cool ). Very nice pages, it does look like it could be a useful app albeit expensive. Guess I'll just stick with digiscrapping on my laptop for now.

blondey040300
Resident
blondey040300
In response to stick

Ohhhhhhhh...Just got an iPad...must try this App!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to blondey040300

I've been spending some time poking around the various apps, and I must recommend Album App (yes, that's its name). Why?

Any .png image you can put in your camera roll/iPad album, it can import to use as an embellishment! I bought one of the embellishment packs here, and I can use them in Album App!

If you're jailbroken, you can even use the embellishments from ScrapPad and Coolibah. I'm working on an entry in my iPad blog with full instructions. But those two apps don't import .pngs properly - they have trouble with the transparency. So you're limited to the packs you can buy in the apps.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Porcupine8 on 11-22-11 08:22 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

How cool! Thanks for posting this!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-22-11 09:20 AM

Very interesting, thanks!

New Kid On the Block
In response to stick

Update: Skrappy, which is currently on sale for .99, also allows imports of any .png file, and also comes with a built-in web browser to pull clip art from the web (which might get into sketchy copyright territory but probably only if you wanted to publish a layout).

I'm not sure yet if I prefer Album App or Skrappy as far as interface goes. Skrappy letsyou put audio and video into your album, but that's useless to me since I'm currently trying to make something to be printed.

iworkinprogress
New Kid On the Block
iworkinprogress

Hey everyone, found this thread through a Google alert linked to 'ScrapPad'.

I'm the co-creator of ScrapPad (the developer) and am really interested to hear what you have to say about the different scrapbooking apps for the iPad.

I agree that ScrapPad is really simple. Our goal is to make it a casual layout tool that is accessible to anyone just starting out with design. We're just two guys working on it on the weekends and know that we'll never be able to compete with Photoshop, but think we can focus on a good user experience for casual scrapbookers. We realize it isn't for everyone, and that some will need more refined and advanced control. In the coming months we're releasing a really fun update focused on improving our text and photo functionality.

Thanks everyone for supporting the iPad scrapbooking community. If you have any further comments or questions feel free to email me at: steve@iworkinprogress.com

Also, here are some promo codes if you'd like to check it out and haven't already, or think a friend might be interested:

N3HA676PJW64
RRWX9YJ6773K
PEF3JLMX4AWW
FT6WF3NXLE3H
3MFTXH9KYFW7
KTA3PY3X9EPK
HRKWM4MHHW94
EPWJMJYFJFN7
HHTT49NJ69XX
ETW7E63WMTMW

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to iworkinprogress

Hi! And thanks for makin ScrapPad! I have a few things here, in my Gallery, that I've made with it- I check it often for updates. If you'd like me to tell you what kind of kit I would like next, feel free to ask. It concerns office supply images and ledger paper. :-D

-kory

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics