Username Post: craft knife        (Topic#1567251)
ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162

so.. what do u guys use it 4? The only way (so far) that I've used it before is cutting (obviously) and attaching glue dots to certain things.. like what I mean is specific things.. cutting chipboard or something like that.. thnx

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to ScrappinGirl162

Craft knife as in an exacto knife or a box cutting blade? Or are you talking about something else?

Exacto knifes are excellent for intricate cutting. For many years I hand cut all of the letters for the titles on my scrapbook layouts. I would print out the letters using my computer and a font I liked. I would print directly onto the cardstock and then I would cut out the letters and glue them to my layouts. Exacto knives are great for hand cutting letters, especially the inner parts of the letters b, e, g, R... you get the idea...

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Shutterbugg

HATE exacto knives ... I can never get the hang of them ... I just use scissors

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to madmatter

I use my craft knife often. As Maureen said, it's great for chipboard and intricate cuts. Basically, I use mine whenever scissors can't get the job done.

Mad, I hated them, too, until I discovered the Fiskars fingertip craft knife. It's like an extension of my finger!

imagine.lilacs
Queen
imagine.lilacs
In response to Luvmyfam

I love my craft knife for intricate cutting. Takes a little practice and a steady hand, but when I want to make my own font, or fussy cut a stamp image, it is perfect.

May I suggest that you get a pokey tool for attaching glue dots? The residue left on the blade would affect its cutting ability over time. I ruined a pair of scissors and a few blades before finally getting a pokey!
Products Referenced in This Post:

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to imagine.lilacs

I use mine with my Perfect Layers Rulers (wish sb.com carried those!!! I need some new ones). Also, I use them for fussy cutting designs from pp.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 11-27-11 05:06 PM

• imagine.lilacs Said:
May I suggest that you get a pokey tool for attaching glue dots? The residue left on the blade would affect its cutting ability over time. I ruined a pair of scissors and a few blades before finally getting a pokey!

If you have sticky residue just clean your blades with a solvent like Bestine. And don't forget to change your blades regularly if you do a lot of cutting! There's nothing worse than a dull blade.

Pokey tools are a good thing, I have the Quickutz one, it's quite useful!

okispice
Mayor
okispice
In response to stick

I couldn't be without my craft knife. Yes- it is perfect for intricate cuts. If you are having trouble using one, keep your wrist on the table when you are cutting and pull your knife around the cut using your arm. Don't wave your wrist in the air or twist it. Using this method, you can cut near-perfect circles in one swoop. Try it!

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to okispice

As an aid to pulling intricate paper items off the cutting mat from my cutter.

to cut off little tags from items which punch out of backing.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Msceejay2000

Same as everyone else- tons of uses for that thing. I LOVE the Fiskars Fingertip craft knife.

Cindy

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• imagine.lilacs Said:

I can't imagine using a piercer for glue dots - I used to try to do them with tweezers but then I figured out I could just remove the backing, press the clear part with the glue dot onto whatever I was gluing, and then peel off the clear part of the backing, no tools required.

ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162
In response to aquabunny

ooh.. thnx everyone

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics