Username Post: Best way to Photograph Layouts        (Topic#1567491)
Elizabeth34
Resident
Elizabeth34

What is the best way to photograph layouts? My photos are never straight and when I crop them I end up cutting off the edges of my layout to make them straight. I also get a lot of shine from the flash on the photo and washes out my papers. Any advice or techneques would be greatly appreciated.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to Elizabeth34

Make sure you stand directly above your layout and that the edges of the layout line up or are parallel to the edges of your viewfinder on your camera. Don't use the flash - take your layout to a natural light source, preferably outside, and try not to have it in direct sunlight as it creates glare and unnatural colours. Hope that helps!

imagine.lilacs
Queen
imagine.lilacs
In response to SuperAllyFan

I take the pic from above. No flash. Window open for good light. I use the straightening tool to adjust the photo, crop out the messy background, and voila!

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to imagine.lilacs

I never can get my pictures to come out good, so I simply scan them. I don't have a big scanner, so I have to turn my page around and scan a couple of times and then create a 'panorama' in the software that came with my computer. You can send me a message if you need more details on how to do this.

Elizabeth34
Resident
Elizabeth34
In response to Rosita

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Rhondatx
Veteran
Rhondatx
In response to Elizabeth34

I am really struggling with getting good photos of my LO's. I have tried the suggestions in this post, as well as suggestions from another post, but my photos just do not turn out well. I do not have a scanner at home so that is not an option. Any other suggestions? Maybe I just need practice, practice, practice.

Thank you!

danigirl786
Veteran
danigirl786
In response to Rhondatx

Hey I'm struggling with this too! Thought about trying natural light, didn't help. I'm using my 8 mp camera to take the pics though, maybe that's the problem? Maybe better camera needed?

Rhondatx
Veteran
Rhondatx
In response to danigirl786

• danigirl786 Said:
Hey I'm struggling with this too! Thought about trying natural light, didn't help. I'm using my 8 mp camera to take the pics though, maybe that's the problem? Maybe better camera needed?

I am using a point and shoot which takes good photos otherwise. I think I will try my digital SLR today and see if it works better. I try natural light by taking the photo next to a large window but it's still not great. Someone mentioned taking photo's outside. That is the only thing I have not tried; will try it today.

Everyone else's photo's are so perfect. I guess once you find the right combination you are set. :-)

Diva
In response to Rhondatx

Great tips! Thank you so much!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics