Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Help! Spellbinders shapeabilities fancy tags two        (Topic#1567519)
New Kid On the Block

I just recently bought these and one of the three dies won't make a clean cut like all the other dies. I tried all the possible ways I could think of and that one die just won't cut all the way through. I really do not want to go over the whole thing with a exacto knife along the lines.
Any one else has this problem or had?
Any suggestions on what I can do?
Thanks in advance!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 12-04-11 09:09 PM
In response to Vietbabi08

Have you tried adding another piece of cardsstock to your sandwich as a shim?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to stick

What machine are you using? I agree about cardboard shims. Also, are your cutting pads old? This can affect intricate cuts.
If all else fails, contact Spellbinders.

ILOVEPAPILLONS
Mayor
ILOVEPAPILLONS
In response to Here Kitty

I used thin cardstock to cut these and they never came out good. I think you need to use a thicker cradstock and use the shim, it will work better.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Vietbabi08

Did you run it through using wax paper. The other thing to try is to run it through once using a sheet of aluminum foil. Just like with small punches this should sharpen it. If you still have problems after this then I would contact spellbinders.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to danjou2

• danjou2 Said:
Did you run it through using wax paper. The other thing to try is to run it through once using a sheet of aluminum foil. Just like with small punches this should sharpen it. If you still have problems after this then I would contact spellbinders.

If the die is not cutting through, I don't know that wax paper is going to help.....it helps get delicate die cuts out once they've been cut. And Spellbinders dies aren't sharp at all, so sharpening them with foil isn't going to help. They cut with pressure, not sharp edges, so increasing the machine pressure is going to give a better cut. I agree with adding a shim or two.

tinamcd
Veteran
tinamcd
In response to tinacome

Sometimes, with intricate detailed dies, it is necessary to run the die thru again, after rotating. Also adding a shim ONLY in the area where the die is not cutting thru works wonderfully. If you shim all over, you still do not get the pressure in the area you want it. But if it's the center of the die that isn't cutting, add a piece of cardstock in that area and run it thru. You should have no problem then.
If it continues to give you issues then definately contact Customer Service.
Good luck! hope it cuts great for you! That is such a beautiful die set!

shetang
Tenant
shetang
In response to tinamcd

I've had problems with the Spellbinders to. I have a Big Kick machine which I love for embossing and works like a charm. No matter which spellbinder die I use and no matter how I sandwich I can't get them to cut through. I might spend 40 minutes and 3 pieces of card stock (Tim Holtz brand) to get one good cut.

I just splurged on the machine and about 8 Spellbinders. I'm beginning to wish I didn't buy the dies. The Sizzix dies cut great.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to shetang

Are you using shims?
I don't use a Big Kick, so I can't help you there, but I'm sure someone here can.

Edited by Here Kitty on 08-13-12 11:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-13-12 12:59 PM

I love my Big Kick and have absolutely no problems with Nesties or any of the other thin dies on the market.

-For the more intricate dies put a piece of wax paper between your die and your cardstock, it will cut better and will be much easier to remove your paper from the die.

-Add a shim (a piece of cardstock), I just place the shim on top of my sandwich, or you could put it between the platform and your cutting plate. As Tina says above, you may want to put a shim just over the place that isn't cutting ... I'm too lazy, I use a shim that's just slightly smaller than my cutting plate.

-Try a second shim.

-Examine your die - I recently got a Memory Box die (same type of thin die as Nesties) that did not have a complete cutting line, part of it was missing and the die was just flat in that area. Manufacturing defect, I contacted them and they replaced it immediately.

-Contact Spellbinders and see what they can suggest.

shetang
Tenant
shetang
In response to stick

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the wax paper. Hopefully it will help. Maybe my shim isn't think enough...

It's like it almost cuts but not quite. Leaves a deep impression but doesn't break the paper.

Fingers crossed... I hate waisting the pretty card stock.

shetang
Tenant
shetang
In response to shetang

Well... I tried the wax paper. It definitely helped but didn't completely solve my problem. It either doesn't cut through or I use so much pressure (extra shims) that it causes the card stock to tear or crush.

Is it possible my Big Kick is defective? I had this happen to one Sizzix die but all the others come through perfect. The embossing folders come out nice and clean as do the Vintaj Decoemboss items.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to shetang

Did you do more than one pass through your machine? From the photo, it looks like the die slipped around and tried to make cuts in different places. I would try adding a thicker shim if you can. With my Cuttlebug, too much pressure isn't going to cause the die to slip around and make multiple impressions; it's going to make the die stick into the cutting plate and tear the paper - it cuts all the way through the die.

shetang
Tenant
shetang

On one yellow and one orange I did try multiple passes. I ran it through then reversed it. I tried the ticker shim (2 pieces of card stock and 1 card stock + 1 just paper) and it crushed the delicate parts. Bonus is that it did cut out the shape I guess.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-14-12 10:39 AM
In response to shetang

What exact sandwich are you using? You do have the cutting edge of the die cutting through the paper and into the acrylic cutting plate, yes?

shetang
Tenant
shetang
In response to stick

I am using the following:
platform (all tabs)
cutting plate
card stock shim(seems to help)
die facing up
wax paper
card stock
rubber mat
black plate
card stock shim

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-14-12 01:06 PM
In response to shetang

Well there's your problem, you're trying to cut into the rubber mat. That's only for embossing AFTER you've already cut it out. Try this:

Platform, all tabs closed
cutting plate
die facing up
wax paper
cardstock
second cutting plate

IF this doesn't work then add a shim between the platform and your first cutting plate.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to stick

Yes, what she said
You never use the rubber mat for cutting!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to tinacome

That explains it!
I couldn't figure out how it was managing to mangle the die cuts like that - it was the rubber mat making it slide around!

shetang
Tenant
shetang

Happy Dance!!

I changed the sandwich as you recommended. And every one came out perfect! The card stock shim under the die and the wax paper made all the difference. On the last few I cut I didn't use the wax paper and they still came out nice.

Thanks every one for your suggestions!! You're life savers. I was becoming very sad that I couldn't get them to work.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics