Username Post: Cutting Machines        (Topic#1567587)
New Kid On the Block

What is the best cutting system to get? I am thinking on buying the Sure Cuts A Lots program, but I don't know what is the best cutting machine to get to use with it. I have a Cricut Expression machine, but it seems like it's a money pit. Please let me know your opinion.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to catleenelson

You cannot use sure cuts a lot with any cricut machines.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Seaexplore

There are many computer based die cutting machines out there that comes with their own program. I know that the Gazelle can use SCAL, I believe the Pazzels can as well. Depending on the machine and the program, you may not need to purchase SCAL right away.

New Kid On the Block
In response to HisGEM

I too am very interested in this. I am purchasing a cutting machine for my wife, and was sure I was going to be buying the cricut imagine. Then I found out SCAL wouldn't work with it. I would like to get a machine that will allow her the ability to create her own designs, and it seems like with the cricut you are limited to using their cartridges. I'm open to any and all options and I would appreciate all the help I can get from the pros such as yourselves. Thanks so much

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to rohleder644

At one time SCAL worked with the Cricuts but there was a lawsuit that resulted in no new SCAL and Cricut interaction.

Those fortunate enough to have downloaded it before the lawsuit are still able to use it if they didn't update their Cricuts, which has been a good solution for those who already had SCAL.

I dragged my feet and didn't get SCAL while the getting was good. Kind of You snooze - you loose. Bummer. Wish I had acted quicker.

Expert
In response to Henri Jean

I'm hesitant to answer this because I can not do so with 100% certainty, but I think SCAL works with the new Cameo. Silhouette owners were worried it wouldn't, but I believe I remember seeing through the Silhouette Yahoo group that it does work...however I don't know if other programs are required too (such as the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition, that's an additional $50).

So don't quote me on anything, but I would keep looking for a definite answer if I were you. (I have never felt the need for a program other than the official Silhouette Studio so I don't pay a lot of attention to how other programs work...)

auntieant
Expert
auntieant
In response to HuskerMom98

I like my Cricut Expression a lot. I understand about the cost of the cartridges.. But I have been getting cartridges from a website called Cricut Machine.com.. They have a lot of sales on the cartridges, they are just now adding the new ones to the bunch but many of them aren't more than $40 a piece. And they have them on sale a lot. I just purchased 2 cartridges for less than $30.00..

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to auntieant

Check out SCAL's site...I think they have a deal with Sizzix. Luckily I purchased mine before the issue with ProvoCraft. As long as I don't update my Cricut I'm good.

love4scrappin85
Guru
love4scrappin85
In response to DittoBabyGirl

Clearing this up - you can still download SCAL 1 & It still works with the expression if you download the first version

Lisabarrie
Guru
Lisabarrie
In response to love4scrappin85

I have had a cricut exp for years including SCAL 1 and 2 the problem with SCAL is it crashes all the time it has never been very stable and I find it very limited. I also own the cameo and there is no comparison. The cameo has built in software that does everything SCAL can do with more reliability and sophistication plus amazing telephone support and service. It's like comparing a VW to a Ferrari and I mean that in a nice way. I still love my Cricut but time and technology marches on.

patchouli2000
Expert
patchouli2000
In response to Lisabarrie

my first die-cutting machine was a Pazzles & its still my go to machine. You do need a computer to work with it, but in my opinion, its very user-friendly and their website tutorials are the best!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to patchouli2000

I don't have any problems with my SCAL crashing. I use it on a mac so maybe that's the difference. I would never get a cutter that I can't use it with!

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Seaexplore

Love my Cricut expression 2 and also have a Slice and a Cuttlebug.... I love machines.

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I have the Cricut Expression as well as the Big Shot and the Grand Calibur. Love them all.

Pirate Princess
Pro
Pirate Princess
In response to auntieant

I get my cricut cartridges off E-Bay! Most I have ever paid is $15! Brand new! I had a wishblade and I hated it!!

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to Pirate Princess

I have the wishblade and LOVE it! I also have a bigshot and use it quite a bit!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to terrihooper

I have a cricut expression (buy carts...never more than $20 per cart) and a big shot pro- these two machines meet all my needs!!!

Tenant
In response to binkiemonstermom

I have a Cricut Expression (I LOVE IT, I buy carts from e-bay as well) and I have the Slice (DH got an AWESOME deal on 39 cards, so I am set on that one!)I also have the Zip e mate and I HATE it, so wish I would have gotten the cuttlebug instead!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics