Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: Wish I did my research...        (Topic#1567593)
CountrynCrafty
Veteran
CountrynCrafty

So a little less then a year ago my wonderful DH bought me a cricut expression--which I REALLY wanted at the time. However, at the time I didn't realize how expensive cricut cartridges can be and how little of each one I use. I know if I had the time/money I might use it more, but with 2 DK & going to college & moving...yeah. Now I'm wishing that I knew about the Silhouette :(. From what I have read (yes a little to late), you can use items off your computer (not a cartridge) or buy some if you need it from the Silhouette website & it be fairly inexpensive.

Is someone willing to trade?? I have some cartridges I can give you too! lol.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to CountrynCrafty

You might have success selling it on ebay or craigslist. Depending on the number of cartridges and which ones you have, you may only need to put a little more money down to buy the Sil, Cameo, Zing or buy a used black cat cougar or klick n kut.
There are many computer based machines out there.
Sorry you don't care for your Expression~

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to CountrynCrafty

I don't know too many silhouette owners who would give it up for a Cricut. Maybe you could sell it and put the money towards a Silhouete Cameo?

Amarilys
Diva
Amarilys
In response to CorrieW

something similar happened to me a few years ago (3?). My now-hubby (we were engaged back then) gave a cricut for Christmas and after 6 months I learned about the Pazzles machine. I told him about it and he encouraged me to sell my cricut and 6-9 cartridges (separately, they sell for more) that I had and I did! I actually only had to put in about $100 or so to get the Pazzles mini (this machine back then was $500, I paid $300 for a used one on evilbay). I have since upgraded to the Pazzles Inspiration (which I love even more!) but that's another story
Products Referenced in This Post:

Expert
In response to Amarilys

I agree with Corrie--gonna be hard to find someone to trade with. I'd try Craigslist for selling the machines and carts, but with realistic expectations because even here in the middle of Iowa I see several Cricuts each week listed and sometimes I see the price and think "good luck with that!" All the work will be worth it though--I love my Cameo!

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to HuskerMom98

If you sell it on Evilbay, just make sure you take it to the post office to find out realistic shipping costs BEFORE you list it. That way you don't short yourself shipping costs in the deal.

love4scrappin85
Guru
love4scrappin85
In response to angie girl

To me.. Even if I thought I wasn't going to use my cricut expression (I sold mine for my imagine, and I also bought a Cameo) I would keep it.. Personally, I hate my self for getting rid of my cricut expression..

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to love4scrappin85

• love4scrappin85 Said:
To me.. Even if I thought I wasn't going to use my cricut expression (I sold mine for my imagine, and I also bought a Cameo) I would keep it.. Personally, I hate my self for getting rid of my cricut expression..

She does make a valid point. I use my Cricut more than I do my Gazelle. However, it is nice to be able to cut whatever I want! I like the flexibility of having both types of cutting systems.

love4scrappin85
Guru
love4scrappin85
In response to HisGEM

IDK, even if you thought you weren't going to use it, i would still keep it... The cartridges to me aren't that badly priced and you can still download SCAL 1, if you really wanted to cut different fonts and shapes on / from your computer..

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I don't think SCAL1 is available any longer. I love my cricut expression, and in the best of both worlds, I'd have both a cricut AND a cutter that cut svg files,,,,,,but of course, that costs money LOL.

good luck whatever you decide. But just know you can get a brand new cricut E for under 200 bucks,,,,,,selling a used one is harder I think because most people (including myself when I checked into it) have to save A LOT before they are willing to go used.

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom
In response to CommaHolly

good luck with your decision on getting another cutter but from personal experience i would keep it just in case.

i first started with the baby bug i hated it so i sold it and bought the silhouette. i hated that one too so i sold it and bought the cricut expression i loved it then just recently i bought the gypsy and so much more opened up to me. i personally dont think the carts or bad priced if ya wait for deals or even ebay. I;ve bought many for under 15 bucks.

Again good luck!!

love4scrappin85
Guru
love4scrappin85
In response to Briannasmom

I'm pretty sure Scal1 is available still.. I was just on the website that you download it from

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut

Cartridges are expensive if you buy them full price (and even some sale prices are high). Keep in mind that you can get them a lot cheaper online at evilbay and some online stores. I personally LOVE my cricut! Love it even more with the Gypsy!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to crazycricut

I was on the Cricut website this morning and I saw a little survey - it popped up but I was too busy to take it.

It asked if you would be willing to buy Cricut cartridges in a digital format. To me, that means, would you be willing to buy cartridges by downloading to Gypsy or a way to use them on line and link to the Cricut. It would have to be some way where you would not need the the keyboard overlay and physical cartridge.

If that comes to pass, it may cut down a lot of the cost of buying cartridges for the Cricut. But I don't see how you could get around needing the overlay and cartridge unless you were going to use them with a program online that would link to the Cricut or a Gypsy.

Wish I had paid more attention to the little box!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to Henri Jean

before you give away your cricut, check out mycutsearch.com. that is a list of any type of image and what cart it's on. you may have a lot of images on your carts that you forget about. that might be a way to use your existing things more.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to Lamoo12

Never, ever pay full price for a cartridge! The most I have spent is $30..and thats alot. You can find great deals all over...Ebay, Big Lots...or just search Google. Especially right now. Lots of great sales going on.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:
I was on the Cricut website this morning and I saw a little survey - it popped up but I was too busy to take it.

It asked if you would be willing to buy Cricut cartridges in a digital format. To me, that means, would you be willing to buy cartridges by downloading to Gypsy or a way to use them on line and link to the Cricut. It would have to be some way where you would not need the the keyboard overlay and physical cartridge.

If that comes to pass, it may cut down a lot of the cost of buying cartridges for the Cricut. But I don't see how you could get around needing the overlay and cartridge unless you were going to use them with a program online that would link to the Cricut or a Gypsy.

Wish I had paid more attention to the little box!

The Cricut Craft Room is up and running on cricut.com

I believe this is the program you use when buying digital cartridges and shapes...

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to debby_westbrook

That makes sense. Wonder if they can be downloaded onto the Gypsy. That would make sense. But that doesn't mean it will work.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• love4scrappin85 Said:
I'm pretty sure Scal1 is available still.. I was just on the website that you download it from

my understanding is that due to the settlement tha tboth sides agreed to, SCAL will no longer be supported by cricut,,,,,and that NO versions of SCAL now available will be able to be used on cricuts. If you already HAVE SCAL, you can still use it, however.

CountrynCrafty
Veteran
CountrynCrafty
In response to CommaHolly

I talked it over with the hubs & he said not to sell the cricut, he'd rather me keep it & he'll buy the silhouette a lil' later. He said we bought it NEW for 175 or something like that, so considering it's been used twice, it probably won't bring any more then that. Well, guess I can deal with that lol ;). I am going to look into the Cricut Craft Room though-thanks ya'll!!

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics