Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Accordian Flowers. How do you make them?        (Topic#1567601)
Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

How do you make accordian flowers? They look so easy but I tied and I failed...Help.

PDRNC
PDRNC 
Idol
PDRNC
  • PDRNC on 12-06-11 07:18 AM
In response to Mia1979

Here's a tutorial from Helen Croft's website:
http://www.scrap-a-little.com/2009/05/fan-flower-tu tori...
She has amazing tutorials. I always have a problem with these flowers being flat. As I fold them back and forth, they become horribly uneven. I just bought the MS scoring board and will probably use that to crease the paper evenly. Lots of luck!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to PDRNC

The tutorial linked above is the one I've used.

Yes, the key is to score the paper - I tried free-handing it the first couple of times with not so great results.

I also found you need quick drying glue, my ATG did not work at all for these.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to pugs223

I use the MS board, makes it a BREEZE.

A dab of Scotch Quick-Dry adhesive and a binder clip on the end until it dries. Doesn't take long.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to kelseymel

The quick drying glue is the key!!

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to SuperAllyFan

If you have a Big Kick or a Big Shot, this is really nice:

provinca
Mayor
provinca
In response to angie girl

I use the Tim Holtz die and it's amazingly easy to crank out loads of flowers! One night I sat for a bit and just made jars full of flowers in all different colors and patterns with paper from my scrap pile. Super easy! And yes, quick drying glue is very important here!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Mia1979

Handmade paper flowers.

Here is some I made. Hope it is clear on how I did it. Would love to see your results!

I am also making some fabric ones now as well and would love to know how to make the ones that look like they are pleated or have tucks in them. I tried and it came out looking like my gathered ones!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

• angie girl Said:
If you have a Big Kick or a Big Shot, this is really nice:

Unavailable (Expected Soon)

I want one!

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to kelseymel

Dear Melissa,

You do have a J's nearby, right? Cheap with coupon. Just sayin'. Of course they sometimes don't have the best stock there, but sometimes it's worth the shot.

With enabling love,
Angie

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS

I love the MS scoreboard when I make them, they are perfect for working on while watching TV.

For adhesive I use scotch quick dry for the seam and a dab of hot glue on my non-stick craft sheet for the center and that works really well for me

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

• angie girl Said:
Dear Melissa,

You do have a J's nearby, right? Cheap with coupon. Just sayin'. Of course they sometimes don't have the best stock there, but sometimes it's worth the shot.

With enabling love,
Angie

My local J's has the worst inventory EVER. I can't count the number of times I go up to the counter with my little Spellbinders tag and they say, "Oh, sorry. We don't have that one."

Maybe I'll try M's since they don't suck as bad.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
  • angie girl Said:
Dear Melissa,

With enabling love,
Angie

My local J's has the worst inventory EVER. I can't count the number of times I go up to the counter with my little Spellbinders tag and they say, "Oh, sorry. We don't have that one."

I actually find this sad that we are faced with the "lesser of two evils" when dealing with big craft stores.

They both suck, but which one less?

Melissa, do you have a J's superstore anywhere nearby. At least here, it is a WORLD of difference! Often worth it to drive another 10 miles than go to my small, local, cramped, low inventory J's store.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

I just recently made an accordian flower, and just "winged it." Quick and easy, down and dirty.

I cut a strip of paper, folded it in half, in half again, kept going until I got to very narrow folds. Opened and use those 'folds' to make my back and forth folding.

No scoring per se, no bone folder, no scoring mat.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • kelseymel Said:
  • angie girl Said:
Dear Melissa,

With enabling love,
Angie

I actually find this sad that we are faced with the "lesser of two evils" when dealing with big craft stores.

They both suck, but which one less?

Melissa, do you have a J's superstore anywhere nearby. At least here, it is a WORLD of difference! Often worth it to drive another 10 miles than go to my small, local, cramped, low inventory J's store.

I've never even heard of a "superstore". Apparently the closest one is 2 hours away. No, thanks.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to kelseymel

Love my tim holtz die it's a life saver especially when I don't feel like fiddling with the score board.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Sneezy1956

Melissa, I hadn't heard of J's superstore either. The ones near me only opened within the past few years.

Probably not worth driving 2 hours, but if you're ever near one, stop in. You will be surprised.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Bxr-Linda

Oh J superstores are awesome there is one near my oldest son's house I love going there twice as much stuff as any other J's.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Sneezy1956

I have a fairly nice J near me and use their coupons quite often

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to prittb

cricut also has a cart that makes these too!!! It's on my wish list for Christmas!!! Called Ribbons and Rosettes!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics